people with fog lights

Paul R

Why do some folk put on there fog lights regardless of weather, light and other road users? I hate them, esp the 4X4's who are high enough that they don't need them. It seems to be the done thing at the mo, put fogs on regardless. If anyone does this could they please explain why

Most people i see with foglights on all the time dont have Xenons. Maybe they need the extra power to see :lol:

In comparison to owning the Audi, i think i must of used the main beams on the GTi litterally about 8 times maximum! Theyre just too good :shades:

I hate people who drive with their fog lights on - especially if they use them with sidelights not even full beam.

That said (and feel free to call me sad) I do look forward to having a genuine reason to switch mine on - somehow it makes me feel like I'm driving a better car than I really am - maybe I feel superior over lower spec cars who don't have them? I got a similar feeling when using my Xenon's in the GTI :wub:

Sad I know, but I'm sure I'm not the only one ?? :rolleyes:

Obviously none of you have ever driven a Corrado before.

The headlights are so **** in them, (technically the wiring for the lights is), that you practically have to drive with main beam on and your foglights! I used to do it quite a bit where there was little road lighting, and not once did anyone flash me. If was gonna keep that car I would've update the headlight wiring loom methinks! Ironic how VW build a 150mph car which has shonky headlights and windscreen wipers!

Otherwise though, fog lights are ghey. Especially popular with Saxo boys round here.

Yeah I do admit that they are annoying but what would you rather prefer: A lupo that has front fogs or one that doesn't (regardless if your going to use them or not)?

They look better.

I understand entirely what you lot are saying, we have a lot of the "vectra" lot around here that drive around with them on wether it is dark, foggy, or even during the day, I think they think they are rally drivers or something along those lines...

On a slightly different note, are they easy to fit? I used to find them quite useful in my old car when it was actually foggy around home!

I thought the lupo fogs were alright, i had to use them at the weekend. Probably used them less than 5 times since i bought the car though, i'm another fog light hater! The standard lupo headlights really are shocking i think, my mk1 golf ones are better!

If you see a car with unwarranted fog light use, don't panic. The beam is cast low to avoid dazzle and reflection (hence the use in fog or poor visiblity from rain with low beam headlights) and shouldn't beam your eyes too much from ahead or from behind. Use your dimmer on the rearview or look off to the nearside slightly if the car is approching from ahead. Not too difficult to deal with is it?

Illegal plates and non-declared modifications to insurers are more annoying.

If you see a car with unwarranted fog light use, don't panic. The beam is cast low to avoid dazzle and reflection (hence the use in fog or poor visiblity from rain with low beam headlights) and shouldn't beam your eyes too much from ahead or from behind. Use your dimmer on the rearview or look off to the nearside slightly if the car is approching from ahead. Not too difficult to deal with is it?

Illegal plates and non-declared modifications to insurers are more annoying.

Its not about the beam its the lumen of the light that is the issue, when you are driving down a dark country lane its bad enough

if people don't dip lights fast enough but if they dip them and still have fogs on its still too much light and it happens all the time.

In fact fogs are worse in some ways than lights with a beam pattern because fogs appear as bright blobs of light light that spreads

wider across the road.

My dads fogs as standard are a joke they are just the same as side lights so he tends to use them as driving lights in low light and rain

they are no bother in the slightest and look no different from the mini low side lights.

I must admit I don't get why people complain so much about them. I drive an extremely low car and I'd say I get dazzled by 1 in 10 cars at night due to incorrectly aligned main beam headlights, and don't even get me started on if I have a 4x4 behind me, it's like having a searchlight through my back window.

Despite this, in 60,000 miles I've been inconvenienced by front fogs maybe 5 times, of which over half I believe were aftermarket units incorrectly fitted. I just don't get why people complain about the light output. One car with foglights still puts out less light than, say, two cars, and if you can't drive towards two cars without not being able to see where you're going, please, for the love of God, get a bus pass.

Having said all that, if you do drive around with them you look a complete and utter tit (even more so if you haven't realised that one of them has blown) and risk getting pulled over by the police. It doesn't look cool, even if your Mum says it does.

But of all the transgressions the British motorist regularly makes (*rear* foglights, especially in traffic jams, not signalling, not looking, not giving way, staying in the middle lane, the list goes on and on), front fogs would come virtually at the bottom of the list for me in terms of annoyance or danger.

with fog lights its more of a glare issue.

Foglight bulbs don't have an anti-glare cap or a reflector cap.

They annoy me because I'm very sensitive to light, but they don't annoy me as much as the amount of idiots driving round with incorrectly adjusted headlamps.

It's the fact people have them on for the sake of it that annoys me, not that they blind me or anything. Just because you've got them doesn't mean you've got to drive around with them on all the time!!

I'm with Snoop on the 4x4 thing, annoying but you choose to buy a low car or lower a car and it's your own choice. I'm sure i piss enough people off with my headlights bouncing up and down from rock hard suspension so can't complain too much. :lol: