Best Band

lupo_1.0

Picola got me thinking about the tunes and was thinking whats peoples best band/group of all time. you can only have, and why do you rate them so much.

mines got to be Faithless, because when i was in a lot of pain in hospital i got so into the tunes i didnt notice the pain, the tunes are like your getting hypnotized, andalso the fact what ever mood iam in i always want to just get up and dance lol.

so come on whats yours and why

Picola got me thinking about the tunes and was thinking whats peoples best band/group of all time. you can only have, and why do you rate them so much.

mines got to be Faithless, because when i was in a lot of pain in hospital i got so into the tunes i didnt notice the pain, the tunes are like your getting hypnotized, andalso the fact what ever mood iam in i always want to just get up and dance lol.

so come on whats yours and why

has to be the foo fighters for me shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Bob Marley & the Wailers. Honestly, who cant feel the love their music? biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

At The Drive-In.

They maybe long gone and two seperate bands now but I have never felt more passion, energy and eccentric lyrics with bucket loads of passion. Most people think its just loud banging, clashing and shouting but when you hear the lyrics and really listen to the instruments you feel how good it really is.

At The Drive-In without a doubt!!

thats easy. REM

its the only band on earth i could listen to all day every day and never ever get bored of

i cant think of a song i dont like. every album is as good as the last but not the same

its ageless music it will still be as good in 50 years form now

Michael stipe is just an amazing poet with words.

Not quite a band, but it has to be Tanya Donelly.

The first song I ever really noticed as being something exhillerating, something that you could loose yourself in which was nothing like anything else was "Not Too Soon" by the Throwing Muses. Now, this was 1989 and I just couldn't work out who or what it was. It only got moderate radio play and every time I heard it, it was "what the feck is that - awesome!". So fast forward a few years an I've just started Uni. A pivotal moment in anyone's life and the music you're listening to at that point just somehow seems to get ingrained into your psyche and your never quite escape. I can remember those songs (and what I was doing to them wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ) word for word to this day and the more recent stuff just seems to pass me by.

Tanya had now formed Belly (not Echobelly - Belly) were just on the cusp of breaking through. Feed the Tree was their first hit and Star was a million selling album. Depsite this, they never quite made in it outside of there East Coast College Scene / Alternative Rock steoretype which was fine by me because in there you had the Muses, Breeder, Pixies, - all the key players. Some who were related by blood, others by friendship. So, after Tanya broke the band up in late 1995 after the second album, there was this hiatus while waiting for her solo stuff to start breaking through.

To fill the gap, I started working through her back-catalogue into early Muses stuff with her half-sister Kristin Hersh and the Breeders stuff with Kim Deal. What do I find in that catalgoue - the very first song she published (along with Honeychain) was - wait for it - Not Too Soon. This awesome thing that I had heard all those years before had been by her! It was such a great discovery.

Where does this lead to? Well, the back of my iPod is enrgaved "Thing about Dixie, she ducked where she ran." If you know this music from all these related bands, you'll know where that comes from.

Anyway - obligatory youtube links...

From this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=uUVxd0Equ0U (give it until 50 secs in to discover why it's so good - she sings that!)

via this:

(how could you not be uplifted by this?)

to this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oX3-TNZpY0s (this is really bad recording, but the lyrics for this are getting pretty political)

In this time, we've seen this artist get married, get pregnant (twice) and start writing songs to her daughter. These are some of the most touching things I've ever heard. Hell, to see a five year old kid rocking out to her mother also rocking out while she plays live on stage at the Bush Hall is something I'll never forget!

Great stuff!

Deek.

has to be the foo fighters for me shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Great choice Noddy!

I have more than one tbh!!

radiohead, rem, arcade fire, faithless, coldplay, dylan, beatles, rolling stones. REM probably the largest back catalogue, think I’ve 16 albums of theirs so I’d probably go with them if I has to choose just one.

By default i would say Metallica, as i have loved them for many a moon, have a large back catelogue of their stuff and the like.

Though as a whole there are many groups and artists that i admire, such as Dylan, Floyd, the Clash, Machine Head, Foo Fighters, Ill Nino, Hatebrrod, Rise Against, Anti Flag, Mudvayne, Chilis, Suicidal Tendencies, System Of A Down, Incubus, Hilda Strange, Link 80, Looking Up, Million Dead, MxPx, Pennywise, Rancid, Silverchair, Sublime, The Offspring, Thrice. Plus loads of indie bands, loads of techno/trance etc.

Bit of a variety there i think.

Guns N' Roses.

Becuase they were, and will always be, the best band ever. Well, if Axl had let them die when they should have done instead of milking it.

The were the first band I really got into, when I was 11. I listened to those 5 albums pretty much exclusively for well over a year.

blink-182

reason being, i can relate to their every song in some way, their music helped me through the shittiest teenage years ever because i could rebel through the music. i was never really into music until blink and that got me listening to all sorts.

i think another of the main reasons i loved blink-182 was the friendship between the band, it was just amazing to see these guys live, they really were best of friends.

another band who are near the top of my list is Jimmy Eat World, they are musical geniuses, end of. Seriously, I'd heard of these guys but never bothered to buy a cd... bought a cd of theirs after a bus ride into town, got home, played two songs, emptied my piggy bank and got the bus back into town to buy their other cd's, and with a new cd out this year, my piggy bank is full to the brim to ensure i can afford this one!

i also love aerosmith, but who doesnt!

other favourite bands/artists include... Shiny Toy Guns, Robbie Williams, Meatloaf, dare I say it.. Girls Aloud,

Edited by bjblyth