Coilover advice

Fa51wan

OEM of course. :) New shocks. New bushes. New wheel bearings. New tyres. Away you go..... Put a bag of cement in the passenger footwell to even out the weight. Cornering like on rails. Still not as good as a mk2 golf though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

OEM of course. :) New shocks. New bushes. New wheel bearings. New tyres. Away you go..... Put a bag of cement in the passenger footwell to even out the weight. Cornering like on rails. Still not as good as a mk2 golf though.

A mk 2 Golf with Boge Turbo gas and matched and slightly lower springs, made perfect with a polybush kit 

58 minutes ago, Sausage said:

How low do you want to go? if not very low then lowering shocks and springs are best bet for ride and handling.

Quite like the height it's at now but don't want to risk killing my sump again so either same height but need to sort out a guard or a inch higher. Was in my mates clio 197 and made me realise how bad mine handles (currently got eBay coils 😳)

IMG-20181209-WA0025.jpg

3 hours ago, Fa51wan said:

Can anyone recommend some good coilovers for my tdi? Want something that handles well without having to be stupid low. 

All depends on budget, if you are just looking for a slight drop of say 20mm, as already said springs and shocks would probably be the best. 

36 minutes ago, Fa51wan said:

Quite like the height it's at now but don't want to risk killing my sump again so either same height but need to sort out a guard or a inch higher. 

Sump guard https://www.sump-guard.co.uk/steel-sump-guard-for-vw-lupo-1999-2005 

If you do invest in one bear in mind that just like DFS who always seem to have a sale, these folk seem to always offer free shipping by a certain date, so dont rush the purchase.

20 minutes ago, LR5V said:

All depends on budget, if you are just looking for a slight drop of say 20mm, as already said springs and shocks would probably be the best. 

Sump guard https://www.sump-guard.co.uk/steel-sump-guard-for-vw-lupo-1999-2005 

If you do invest in one bear in mind that just like DFS who always seem to have a sale, these folk seem to always offer free shipping by a certain date, so dont rush the purchase.

Not on a tight budget as I was thinking of going down the air ride route but think it's a little too pricey for my liking. 

Seen that sump guard before, unsure of whether it will be any good or not tho?

Air isn't going to be getting any cheaper soon and I'm not sure you are going to be challenging your mate with the Clio in handling running air.

10 minutes ago, Fa51wan said:

Seen that sump guard before, unsure of whether it will be any good or not tho?

I have not seen one in the flesh, IIRC they are Romanian made -not sure about the .co.uk site- from reviews the one consistent thing mentioned is the paint isn't that good and gets damaged in transit otherwise they seem to be OK.

OMP made a guard for the challenge Polo - that could be used, but they are at least £200 more than my example - but it is 8mm Alloy sheet

17 hours ago, Fa51wan said:

Can anyone recommend some good coilovers for my tdi? Want something that handles well without having to be stupid low. 

I have fitted Jom coilovers to my Lupo SDI and my sons Arosa TDi and both have been great. For a sub 200£ kit the ride is excellent. Firm but not too crashy. I dropped them both id say half the capability of the kit and although i catch the odd severe speed hump with the red end of the front sub mount i have never caught the sump. Its about adjustment of how you drive really and not straddling pavements etc. I priced replacing oe kit and it was way more 

59 minutes ago, battlebus said:

I have fitted Jom coilovers to my Lupo SDI and my sons Arosa TDi and both have been great. For a sub 200£ kit the ride is excellent. Firm but not too crashy. I dropped them both id say half the capability of the kit and although i catch the odd severe speed hump with the red end of the front sub mount i have never caught the sump. Its about adjustment of how you drive really and not straddling pavements etc. I priced replacing oe kit and it was way more 

I suspect if you dropped them any lower the ride quality would rapidly become horrendous. Running cheap coilovers at a relatively normal height isn't such a bad idea cost wise, but as soon as you dump it like tends to be the aim, the ride becomes utterly horrific and nobody will convince me otherwise. Cheap coilies are cheap for a reason. Been there, seen it, nah.

OEM suspension is indeed a bit too expensive. However you can occasionally pickup a full set off a low miler for about £50.

IMG_2650.jpg

First drop with 165 50 15 tyres was still comfy, but didn't like the tyres.

IMG_0821.jpeg

Current stance, smooth, no crashing and firm but not much over the stock stuff. Bear in mind the stock shocks will be done at anything over 80k and this ones did 130 o the stock stuff. Tyres now 185 45 15 and done over 10k on the cheap joms with no complaints at all. I have bilstein b14 kit on my other vehicle and that's lovely but couldn't justify the expense on this cheap car. id say if your going to drive it at sensible height like this, these are still better than any spring kit. If you dump it on its ass, it doesn't matter how expensive the kit is, it will run out of travel and be awful. Shocks bottoming out or bump stops are why most people fail, to drive low you really need other work like engine mount/ subframe moved, chassis notches, shock mounts moved etc. its quite a lot of work but you can get a good ride with a big drop, if you know what your doing. 

On 2/10/2019 at 9:15 PM, Rich said:

That is looking good.

Sump off, get it plated 

Cheers mate.

Only just had the sump replaced so can't be bothered with the hassle of taking off to fit a guard then filling with oil again (had new oil put in  few days before the sump went 🙃)  

Might be stupid but could I not just attach a sheet of metal to my plastic guard?

On 2/10/2019 at 7:58 PM, LR5V said:

Air isn't going to be getting any cheaper soon and I'm not sure you are going to be challenging your mate with the Clio in handling running air.

I have not seen one in the flesh, IIRC they are Romanian made -not sure about the .co.uk site- from reviews the one consistent thing mentioned is the paint isn't that good and gets damaged in transit otherwise they seem to be OK.

OMP made a guard for the challenge Polo - that could be used, but they are at least £200 more than my example - but it is 8mm Alloy sheet

I know air will never be as good for handling but at the end of the day I don't track it. It's just the practicality for me especially the way tdis are getting hard to come by. 

Just worried if the guard is for lupos in general and the sump on the tdi is lower I might have problems fitting it. In which case might be easier and ppsibly cheaper to get one made or make one myself. 

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Just fashion a sheet from the front to back and attach it.

Make a cardboard one, cut it out of metal and drill the attaching holes.

But it's quite round where the two bolts attatch? I'll look into that tho. 

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

But mostly they do more damage than good.

How do you mean?

Just now, Pete said:

I’ve seen loads of high spec track cars running air set ups. Just saying....

That's what I want to hear😂I want air so bad but get a lot of mixed opinions on it. Some people love it others hate it same as anything. If I were to get it I would go for something like the Air lift performance 3H kit. But I've been told air lift don't do bags for the lupo so wouldn't know where to start

Why not go for the 3p? Or the v2? Regardless, that’s just management, they’d inflate a paddling pool if you strapped one to an airline coming out of the manifold. 

As long as you can find a set of bags to run safely in each corner then the management will do the rest.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Why not go for the 3p? Or the v2? Regardless, that’s just management, they’d inflate a paddling pool if you strapped one to an airline coming out of the manifold. 

As long as you can find a set of bags to run safely in each corner then the management will do the rest.

I like the sound of the height sensors.

I wouldn't know what bags to get. Been told ocd can supply bags to fit. 

It’s getting them to work with the car that’d be the issue, sure pressure only reading ones can be a little hit and miss, but for the most part they are perfectly fine and it also saves on cost and fault finding down the line.

I ran the v2 set up on my daily old mk4 anni and even with slight reading variances it never looked or drove funny. It’s never going to be off by THAT much.

As for bags I’d be happy to just get them off eBay, already listed for the job and 9 out of 10 times they’re coming from the eBay account of an actual air ride distributor anyways, not just some bloke in a shed importing them in cheap from Romania.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

It’s getting them to work with the car that’d be the issue, sure pressure only reading ones can be a little hit and miss, but for the most part they are perfectly fine and it also saves on cost and fault finding down the line.

I ran the v2 set up on my daily old mk4 anni and even with slight reading variances it never looked or drove funny. It’s never going to be off by THAT much.

As for bags I’d be happy to just get them off eBay, already listed for the job and 9 out of 10 times they’re coming from the eBay account of an actual air ride distributor anyways, not just some bloke in a shed importing them in cheap from Romania.

So get a kit from airlift then get some bags off eBay? Would they handle the same as a better make bag?