Been a while - have to admit I have not done much to the Lupo, but quite a bit to share.
The plan was to move the Lupo back onto the drive making space in the garage to strip and rebuild the engine, due tot he slope I did not want to manually move it and the apparent sump of coolant meant running the engine would create more damage. I decided not to drain all the oil but to only extract the coolant form the sump with the Lupo in my tiny garage.
I am a big fan of the Pela Oil Extractor - its a vacuum oil pump that means you don't need to remove the drain plug, everything gets sucked up the dip stick tube, very clean and easy.
Had a look around for an alternative hose to go down the tube, the penny finally dropped - brake pipe is the perfect size:
I used a length of silicone to extend the tube down to the green tub on the floor, didnt use the pela, instead I used a hand vacuum pump.
I expected the coolant to be at the bottom of the sump with the oil on top - fully expected G13 to gush out... but the first liquid was oil! I rechecked the pipe, it was straight, not bent up, 5mm off the bottom of the sump. I left the hose to gravity drip for a few hours. I returned to half a litre of oil, still no coolant.
Somewhat perplexed I looked inot the drian tub, it still had the remants from when I first found water in the sump, sitting int he bottom is this:
to me it looks like ground aluminium:
The only conclusion is the head gasket is sound, my drive slope created the mother of all air locks, it emptied the expansion tank twice when I took it for its MOT - so thought I had something catastrophically wrong.
But the issue is there is damage in the engine, brings me back to what I said before:
I am not going into details but the CCTV footage was interesting.
So, going forward, the plan is flush the engine to hopefully get as much of the metallic fillings out of the engine, fresh oil and to push on with the MOT.
To get there I need to cable tie the fuel filter, tighten the front ARB, replace front top mount/s and hope a good run will sort the fuelling. Got all the parts, plus a few other bits -just need motivation to do it, the cold doesnt help.
Also, decided the power steering delete was herioic, it felt great at speed - not as twitchy - but way too heavy to react to a slide or other road users... so (and Rich was right!) the pump and hose it will be getting re-instated. may revisit this in future with electric power steering - OEM system is tempting, but takes up a lot of room.