Ap coilovers on GTI giving a horrible ride!!

looploop91

Hi,

I have got a set of AP coilovers on my gti at the moment and I can't say a rate them at all given all the positive comments they've been given on here. They are GTI specific and feel even more uncomfortable than my FK AKs which i was running on my mini!!! Was wondering if the non-gti ones would be any comfier or perhaps an upgrade to KW V1 basic would be worthwhile?

Thanks

Edited by looploop91

I could put up with the ride in my mini and i had those coilies all the way down, but these aps seam worse!!!, Was expecting alot more from these considering what i had out of my old AKs on the mini. Ok so an upgrade to KWs would be worthwhile? Just wondering about all this gti specific stuff and if there's much difference to non-specific?

Mr Colin G is old and wise, but not as old as me. Maybe wiser, but not older, so listen to his words.

I too have KW v1s, which have been on for the life of the car, and they are fine for my old bones. Not crashy at all.

It's hard to take someone else's word for how hard coils are, when I bought my budget TA technics I was told they're unbearable, and I'd take them off. I don't even find it a problem, especially compared to my friends corrado which has the worst ride I've ever experienced.

I was told my budgets were the hardest you could pick up.. But they seem fine.

Upgrade coilovers & give me the soft APs for me bad back haha ;)

Edited by Koop

Too soft :o... Are you sure you are running the same coilies as me? haha. Mine doesn't shift weight at all through the corners :). Are yours specifically designed for the gti? How long you been running them for?

They are GTI specific ones, but they've been on a few years.

I'll be swapping back to a standard, non adjustable, coil over shock arrangement soon hopefully.

I'm running an awesome roll bar, which helped, but the spring weights are just too low for my liking. It's comfortable though!

Sounds great to me lol I'd ruled out coilovers with my back til I can afford stoopidly good ones. Seriously might have them off you when you swap, they'll fit a non-GTI won't they?

How long have u had them fitted? And did u drop it straight away? As your ment to but it 3/4 the way up till the dampers bed in then drop it

They are GTI specific ones, but they've been on a few years.

I'll be swapping back to a standard, non adjustable, coil over shock arrangement soon hopefully.

I'm running an awesome roll bar, which helped, but the spring weights are just too low for my liking. It's comfortable though!

They've been on my car for about two months, And yes I dropped it straight away, didn't realise the dampers needed to bed in first :s. My coilovers are GTI specific too, strange how yours feel soft. They been like that since you've had them?

• 3 months later...

Got a similar problem

I've got APs on my Tdi and have to say the front end is great, but the rear that is another story, they are as hard as bricks, its like driving with no rear suspension.

I feel every bump.

So i started to think it may be the dampners so i went and bought some Koni rear adjustable ones, Not fitted yet mind.

But then someone said it may be the shortened spring, which makes sense as they are stiffer.

So what do i do, all i want is a nice comfy ride that is an improvement over the sloppy originals.

So i have two options-

1. Buy and fit the KW v1s and send back the konis and sell the AP's

or

2. But some not so short and stiff springs and fit the konis (rear)

Any advice would be a help..

• 1 month later...

Got a similar problem

I've got APs on my Tdi and have to say the front end is great, but the rear that is another story, they are as hard as bricks, its like driving with no rear suspension.

I feel every bump.

So i started to think it may be the dampners so i went and bought some Koni rear adjustable ones, Not fitted yet mind.

But then someone said it may be the shortened spring, which makes sense as they are stiffer.

So what do i do, all i want is a nice comfy ride that is an improvement over the sloppy originals.

So i have two options-

1. Buy and fit the KW v1s and send back the konis and sell the AP's

or

2. But some not so short and stiff springs and fit the konis (rear)

Any advice would be a help..

Only now getting round to reading this :s, did you get the kw's in the end?

Also i bought a front end FK coilover setup from a non-gti lupo and the ride has improved!! The coilovers have seen better days and not sure if they are Highsports or Silverlines but they definitely give a better ride than my new ap's!!

Edited by looploop91