I had to happen!

Alex_225

Bloody battery on my Megane is completely flat!

Reason being is that its been covered and kept in the garage for the last couple of months without being driven. I know it seems a waste but I literally haven't had the chance to take her out, what with work and going to see my missus at weekends.

Its had a flat battery before which has been fine as the central locking still worked. Well now the battery has died to the point that the central locking has stopped.

In any normal car you'd just pop the key in the lock but no, this car has a key card. Admittedly it does have a hidden key you can pull out but the only key lock on the car is on the passenger side, which is under a foot away from the garage wall as I have a narrow garage.

I'm just hoping that by the weekend there will either be enough charge in the battery to pop the doors or I'm gonna have to do my best to squeeze down the side of the car and get into the passenger side. :wacko::wacko:

If anyone has some tips on keeping a car stored like this without encountering these issues then let me know haha. :huh:

Yes get a trickle charger, if you can leave the alarm off as that uses power, maybe try parking it drivers side first!

Just be thankful renault didnt fit the electric parking brake on the megane :lol:

Might work, might not... Never tried on a megane.

1/ Pop out the side repeater / Front foglamp

2/ Disconnect said repeater / Foglamp

3/ Hook up the bare wire to a spare car battery

4/ Press unlock

Its got to be better than scraping down the side of your car...

Hope that helps.

scrap it

Shut it you minge!! ;)

Anyhow, I'm hoping I'll be able to get down the side of the car, I'll just be extremely careful doing so. Luckily the walls are carpeted in the garage so less risk of scraping.

I do have a trickle charger so looks like I'll have to use it once I'm back in the car.

By the way what is an 'opti'? I was planning on putting the car off the road over winter partly coz it won't get driven anyway and also to shift the tax renewal back from January.

Yeah thats what I'm gonna have to do in future.

Its just odd that I've left it longer between drives and although the battery has been dead before its still opened the doors. Now I'm considering actually dliberately leaving it I'm gonna have to do just that. Only thing I was wary of is that with the bonnet up I can't set the alarm.

How could you not use the Megane? :)

I recently had my first go in one and I'm a convert, they are brilliant. Give the Megane some power, sell the Lupo and just drive that.

Once you have scraped down the side and unlocked the passenger door ..... then what?!

Will there be enough room to get the door open?

Iirc from our megane and scenic that 'key' only opens the passenger door, weather its battery is live or not, so doesnt work the central locking.

:huh:

How could you not use the Megane? :)

I recently had my first go in one and I'm a convert, they are brilliant. Give the Megane some power, sell the Lupo and just drive that.

They certainly are really underestimated cars, glad you like the one you drove. I have to say it never fails to put a grin on my face when I take it out.

The Megane has kinda become a weekend car thats the thing. I get the train to work and because of leaving it in a car park all day I decided to buy a runabout. My first runabout was a £650 Renault 5, that got smashed into so I bought a £600 Clio then I found myself relying more on the Clio so decided to upgrade to the Lupo. Thing is on a weekly basis its cheaper putting money in a Lupo than getting 23 mpg out of the Megane as a daily drive. I'll probably end up keeping it for a long long time and having one of those older cars with stupidly low miles on it. :lol:

Matt A - Worst case is that I get my cousin round, he's 5'11 but being 13 and weighing about 13 grams he should be able to contort himself haha.

Once you have scraped down the side and unlocked the passenger door ..... then what?!

Will there be enough room to get the door open?

Iirc from our megane and scenic that 'key' only opens the passenger door, weather its battery is live or not, so doesnt work the central locking.

:huh:

:rolleyes:

Yeah I know that, I'm going to have to give it a bit of contortion myself and probably crawl along the floor and reach my arm up inside the door once it is slightly open and pull the bonnet released.

I'm aware that the central locking won't work so I'm just gonna have to make do with the just the passenger door being open.

Also to stop me scratching the car, I need to devise some kind of microfibre nappie!! lol Then I'll at least buff the car as I edge down the side of it.

I would pay money to watch this event :lol:

So would I mate :lol:

I can just tell its gonna be me scrabbling round trying to sort it and the missus killing herself watching me trying to do it haha.

Crusoe - Unfortunately there is no lock on the boot lid either. Bascially because the car is effectively keyless they only put on key hole on the entire car. I assume that because the car was designed to be left hand drive, the lock is on the passenger side along with the bonnet released. :blink:

If you can't get in the car at any point, weather its because of battery failure or any other reason - Have it towed to manchester, and walk away with your back turned for a minute or so... It'll soon be unlocked... rofl. :)

If you can't get in the car at any point, weather its because of battery failure or any other reason - Have it towed to manchester, and walk away with your back turned for a minute or so... It'll soon be unlocked... rofl. :)

:lol: haha I'm only 20 minutes drive from Croydon. I'd imagine if I towed it there the effect would be much the same! lol

you shouldn't leave it with the hand brake on for that long anyway so why not just roll it out of the garage and get in the passenger side once it's out? 2 months in the same place i'd want carpet under the tyres and over inflate them so they didn't get flat spots, leave the windows slightly open and the bonet popped but with a dust sheet over the top.

Edited by Crusoe

Guest Lauryn

Its a sexy car - but its a Megane, you must expect weird and wonderful problems! My coupe was a nightmare, one thing after the other! If I had your 225 tho theres no chance I'd leave it sitting that long, would you like me to babysit it for you when you dont need to drive it?! :shades:

Very kind of you to offer Lauryn but I'll pass just this time haha.

Thing is its not normally intentional each time I leave it I just don't get round to uncovering it and taking it for a spin. Thing is I only see my missus at the weekends so I don't think to spend time at the weekend in the car.

I'm thinking of having it SORN over the winter, partly to save me some cash on the tax and partly because I don't take it out when its a sh!t day. Gonna have to look into a proper storage method.

As said, carpet under the tyres. It gets covered up anyway so that wouldn't be a problem. I think also I should tape down the sensor for the alarm so I can lock it and keep it on a trickle charger too.