Your Crashes.

Defcon5

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wrote off a saxo vts by falling asleep at the wheel. 36 hours with no sleep, drove down a country lane, piled into a parked car.

we all drive tired.. but that is ridiculous.

my mate fell asleep at wheel, he died.. that was a year and a bit ago.

dont ever drive tired, take rest breaks!!!

Guest Lauryn

Was approaching stopped cars at a red light last Novemeber in my Megane Coupe and put the brakes on - and the car kept going! I had had new pads and discs fited the day before, and it was icy, and as a shock thing my (ex) bf pulled the handbrake on, so everything built up we slid into the back of a Pug 206

Crash.jpg

Could have been much worse, scary!

Edited by Lauryn

I broke down on a dual carriageway on Monday 5th May in the afternoon (throttle cable came off) and there was a very small hard shoulder. So I'm there with my hazards on fixing the cable back on when there is a massive bang...I opened my eyes to find myself lying in the middle of the road with blood spurting out of my forehead. Polo was nowhere to be seen. I looked up to see a man in a Fiesta screaming...gods knows how but I managed to get up and run to the side of the road, pure instinct I guess. Confusion turned to shock and I lay down and looked up at the sky, was a bloody nice day. Soon enough people appeared around me telling me to stay awake and not to move and asking if the car in the ditch was mine...

I was rushed to hospital and kept strapped up on oxygen in the resuciation room while they tried to figure out the extent of my injuries, felt so sorry for my parents and true friends who rushed (some halfway across the country) to be there for me. After numerous scans and X rays they found that despite being hit and thrown flying by my own car I had no serious injuries...just severe whiplash and bruising, the gash to my head and nasty tarmac burns to my back, elbow and legs..

Let's just say Polo + 60mph impact = shortened wheelbase by about 3 foot. Still can't believe I'm intact, and can't thank my family and friends enough...they say the things you do come back to you so I must've done something right cause things could've been so different if I'd been in/behind the car or not had the handbrake on. (it spun round, hit me and then flew off the road to the ditch ending up on it's roof, took them an hour to get it out) I might be in pain and need some time to recover but I'm stupidly lucky by all accounts.

The driver of the Fiesta apparantly didn't see me although it was a clear, straight and empty road..he's being prosecuted for driving without due care. I don't feel up to writing my statement just yet, need to rest and get my strength back at the moment.

On the upside, the whole experience has taught me who my real friends are, that I'm a fighter...anyway pics

:blink: Wow. Sounds like you had an extremely lucky escape... glad to hear you're getting better :)

26th of November last year, I'd been riding a bike just under 2 months. I left Uni at about 8pm. The first corner I came to I filtered to the front of the line of traffic at the lights and turned right. Once straightened up a bit I accelerated, not particularly harshly, the back end slid to the left then regained grip once the bike was sideways. It flicked me straight over the top and I ended up laying on my back in the middle of my side of the road with the bike a bit further back on the opposite side.

My initial thought was 'what a tit'. A couple of woment on the pavement asked if I was ok, a man walked up to me and handed me my indicator saying 'I think this is yours'. A couple of blokes came out of a restaurant to see if I was ok. They helped me pick up my bike and drag it to the side of the road, it wouldn't roll as it was stuck in gear. I took my helmet off and they asked if I was alright then went back to work.

As I lifted my helmet to my head I felt a twinge in my shoulder. I put it back on, then undid my jacket slightly to have a feel. The bone was poking up. I rode the long way home to avoid the main dual carriageway, stopping off to meet my mates in a service station, which I had arranged to do just before leaving Uni. They followed me the rest of the way home down the country roads.

The bike just got a scratched fairing (which was optional, and I'd only fitted it a couple of weeks previous), a broken indicator, a slightly bent clutch lever and a scrachted hoojeymagoolit, which I'll replace when one comes up.

DSC00146.jpg

I got a broken collarbone.

DSC00075.jpg

Lesson learned. Don't ride in the winter. Don't accelerate on cold tyres and cold tarmac, even though I didn't accelerate very hard.

My first accident was in my first car, a 1.1 Saxo. I was travelling home from the bf's on a road I travelled every day. There is a farm on the road which often leaves the road slippy/greasy/muddy etc. I was approaching a 40mph right hand corner, turned in and lost control slightly and began to over steer to the right. Due to my inexperience (I had been driving 3-4 months) I turned the wheel sharply left to correct and ploughed nose first into the verge. This flung me skywards and into a field. Thankfully it was freshly polughed and the car just stayed where it landed and didn't roll. It landed on its passengers side. I didn't have the sense to open the window and climb out and tried to do it via the door - my only injury sustained, other than a bit of stiffness, was a large bump on the head when the door fell back closed as I tried to climb out. I still to this day wouldn't say I was going to fast - the corner could easily be taken faster, but obviously my inexperience meant that I was not able to return the car to full control. Coincidently or not - there was another car right in the spot mine had been 3 hours later, and another 3 cars in various bits on the same road in the space of a week.

It certainly gave me the scare I needed to realise that because I had passed my test it didn't mean I could 'really' drive, and to take must more care and consider the conditions etc.

datsun100A.jpg

:lol:

I wrote off my first car, a 1976 Datsun 100A, when I collided head on with a Peugeot 305 van down a single track lane. I was sat in the car with my engine ripped out and rammed under my seat. Me and my best mate who was my co-pilot at the time, went into sixth form the following day with matching neck braces and bruising from the fixed seatbelts.

I've never driven down the road since, that was 20 years ago.

I'll get my photos out again:

These were the result of coming off a greasy roundabout late at night - I was tired which didn't help, and I had rear tyres on which I wasn't very happy with and that had a lot less grip than my front ones, but it was a combination of things really.

I now never drive back from uni at night - I drive back the following morning. I also stick to Toyo's or another tyre I'm equally happy with, and have the same ones all round rather than different front and back, and I also go much slower on roundabouts and tight corners.

lampost-small.jpg

damage-small.jpg

front-end-small.jpg

Can't edit my post above for some reason, but thought I would add I came out of that with no major injuries except some nasty whiplash which left me having very painful spasms in my right arm for months afterwards. My lower ribs are also not right, I think the harnesses gave them a bad jolt which I didn't feel at the time. Other than than, no cuts, bruises or broken bones :)

*touches wood*

Never had a a big crash. Although I did write off a Clio in my Transit van, to which I'm very lucky to still have my license, thankfully the Police staff who put my file through cocked up, if they hadn't cocked up I would've been banned + re-test.

It wasn't 100% my fault in my opinion... she accelerated onto I roundabout, I followed (as it was clear) then she stopped, ON the roundabout and I went into the back of her at about walking speed, all caught on film by a traffic police car on the bridge. As soon as she realised I was driving an un-marked Police associated vehicle she decided to claim whiplash, etc, to which I got interviewed under caution and ended up paying 180 quid to do a crappy course. The Police officer who saw it said she caused the accident but because I physically hit her car, I was in the wrong. She also never got a penny for her whiplash.

I did have a minor incident with a roundabout involving wet sand but all I got was a bent Ronal Turbo, skidded into a curb at about 5mph :lol:

Wrote my first car off which was a nice little mk2 polo. Only had 5days :(

Meet a car on a blind corner taking up all the road, so went for the grass bank to avoid him.

but I lost control and skidded strait into a tree stump, and then done a full 360 in the air back out into the road facing the right way :wacko:

My poor polo was shaped like a banna after that!!

i was goin abit quick round a corner lost the bk end manged to catch it but over corrected it and lost it again. it flew thru a hedge sideways doing about 50mph 55. into a feild and rolled over 3 and half times. i was lucky very lucky ony had a few cuts up my arms but apart from that was ok.

I have been passed 13 years, and I have only damaged a door on a Renault Savanna, as I was to busy looking at a hot 6th former (I was 17!).

It worries me tbh! :wacko:

• 3 years later...

Won't go into detail because I'll get myself wound right up!

T**T behind me thinks he'll try an American pit manoeuvre because he pulled out to overtake whilst an oncoming car was there. Fully paid for and had compo for my very messed up ankle which still randomly flares up now and again.

14042011516.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

Five star n cap rating, worth every penny! Only wish the Clio had the same security