GTI Rear Speakers

i really want to upgrade the rear quarter panel speakers in my gti, but no-one seems to know what size they are or what will fit! i have tried some 16cm co-axials in an adaptor ring i made up, but the cover won't go back on! so any help would be appreciated!

here is a pic of where i want them to go:

DSC00318.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

get a catologue for alpine or pioneer or somethin. that'll tell u what speakers will fit + they'll prob have a set vehicle specifics that'll fit.

the rear speakers are crap! you can hear the suspension vibrating at any volume! really need to upgrade.

been into halfrauds and a few car hi-fi shops, and none of them list a direct replacement or even an adaptor ring. even vw can't list them correctly! they list the rear speakers as gti front door woofers!

• 3 weeks later...

How did you get on with changing the speakers?

I have mine faded out as they sound shocking.

Im looking to change mine soon so any info would be great

Cheers bud

I've got a set of 16.5" focal components in mine. You have to make a lemon shaped fitting ring for the tweeters (dead easy, 5mm mdf) after spending ages making a ring for the main speaker my cover went back on but the speaker touched it when the volume went up. In the end i drilled the body work and they work fine and they are a lot better Even without an amp.

got any pics of ur solution? don't fancy drilling holes tho!

do i buy some 5.5'' components or 6.5'' components?

Edited by lupogtiboy

Mike,

How much did you pay for them & where did you mount the crossovers?

Cheers bud

I will try to take some pics of the finished job, the crossovers arent mounted they are wrapped in foam at the bottom of the inner wing (they dont rattle about) as i want to keep the car looking standard. I paid Ă‚ÂŁ130 from Source at chapletown in sheffield, they dont do the exact model now as they've updated the range.

I will try to take some pics of the finished job, the crossovers arent mounted they are wrapped in foam at the bottom of the inner wing (they dont rattle about) as i want to keep the car looking standard. I paid Ă‚ÂŁ130 from Source at chapletown in sheffield, they dont do the exact model now as they've updated the range.

Cheers mate,

Will you be at the next sheffield meet?

Yes as long as i can get, i would have come to the one on sunday but i didnt get the internet working until the afternoon. hoping someones had a go at the fronts as thats my next ice task (after lowering.)

Just popped my rear panels off ( W reg 1.4S) and found just a dinky 2" hole under there..

Dreams off having some speakers in the back shattered!

and in come the dreams of the angle grinder!!! twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

Angle Grinder?!

I dooon't think so! The Wife would kill me! wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

she wouldn't know... send her shopping and do it while she's out!

If you don't get it finnished just cover it with the panels until you can afford to send her out again!

whistle.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":whistle:" border="0" alt="whistle.gif" />

S!

i don't wanna drill holes! wanna be able to put it all back to standard if i come to sell her! so do i buy 6.5'' or 5.5'' components?