Jump to content

Clayton's Tornado Red GTI..


CLAYTONJONES
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, JasperIrl said:

Can someone explain, sorry

You take your existing camshafts and post them off to the company who put it on their machine to reprofile the lobes and will send it back to you to fit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, cpcpeter said:

You take your existing camshafts and post them off to the company who put it on their machine to reprofile the lobes and will send it back to you to fit. 

I'm curious as to why you would re-profile aftermarket cams that you bought? I'm assuming its to make them inbetween OEM cams and the original aftermarket CAM profile? Make the car more "daily" friendly maybe? 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JasperIrl said:

I'm curious as to why you would re-profile aftermarket cams that you bought? I'm assuming its to make them inbetween OEM cams and the original aftermarket CAM profile? Make the car more "daily" friendly maybe? 👍

Ah I see now, you don't buy Piper Cams, you send away the original OEM cams to be re-profiled. Cheers Lads 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cpcpeter said:

Clayton, just curious, after your cornerweighting, is there much of a difference in ride height either side of the axle to compensate for the weight adjustments?

I was worried about this myself but it’s actually so minimal you’d never really notice. Especially with how often do you park on a dead flat surface!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love this car, just seems to get better and better! Great pictures!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lupogtiboy said:

I love this car, just seems to get better and better! Great pictures!

That’s the goal, always trying to improve! It’s pretty much how I’ve always wanted it now. Next things on the list are Alcantara dash and doorcards👍🏼 Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pics are impressive! Angle and depths of field make pics. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Another track evening completed at Snetterton last night, sort of...

The weather forecast said rain all evening, so I went on my wet tyres Michelin PS3's. You can guess what happened, it stayed dry all night! The car still felt great though, just couldn't do as many laps at once. 3-4 laps was the limit before they started over heating. 

This is where it went south, it was the last session of the night, came out of 'Agestini', shifted into 3rd then the car instantly ran on 3 cylinders. Limped it back into the pits to inspect. Turned the car off, tried to start again but nothing. I could hear it was down a cylinder. Luckily a friend had his trailer with him so I got it home then inspected today, compression test results for cylinder 3 was what I expected. Absoluely no compression at all. I put a borescope down it and the pistions look brand new. I think it's slipped a tooth and knocked the timing out and bent a valve!

Never mind ey, hopefully have it stripped and rebuilt in a couple of weeks. Be back on the road before you know it!

Had a good battle with my mate in his FN2 Civic Type R, they are incredible matched around Snetterton, i'll leave a link to the lap below.

 51203589150-58579ae12b-o.jpg
51203588755-0abcb48113-o.jpg
51201813097-23020a5192-o.jpg
51201810562-97279a56f1-o.jpg
IMG-0938.jpg
F114-A987-C57-F-4-DB4-83-F3-B764-C3-C251
IMG-1006.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJJs4FLnkZI&ab_channel=ClaytonJones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Managed to get the head off the car during the week to inspect the damage. All I found was a bent valve and broken valve spring retainer, no other damage to the head or pistons, I’ve been lucky that’s for sure! So I got all the bits needed ordered from
VW, everything came in Friday and by Saturday afternoon it’s back up and running sweeter than ever! :)

9-E7-FE8-AE-22-D8-4-D7-B-953-D-DB40-D7-F
CD9-F23-E6-2-E49-4-B2-A-A52-F-5838-F8-F6
AAE80-A3-B-3060-4879-8378-B30-FB291-DD2-
D3-FE866-A-A46-C-4-E7-A-A4-A7-5677-C4-E8
1-B26-B50-A-FB02-4-F48-A5-E6-95-ABF537-B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been thinking of doing the mesh behind the spotlights and didnt notice you had done the same. May i ask how you did it ? What you used ? Im thinking of buying a new grill and using the old one 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found the lower centre grill for a Polo GTI pretty cheap. Cut it up to the correct size then tiger sealed it on👍🏼

1 hour ago, Jnathan said:

Been thinking of doing the mesh behind the spotlights and didnt notice you had done the same. May i ask how you did it ? What you used ? Im thinking of buying a new grill and using the old one 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 6:37 AM, CLAYTONJONES said:

I found the lower centre grill for a Polo GTI pretty cheap. Cut it up to the correct size then tiger sealed it on👍🏼

 

Thanks clayton will look to recycle my old grille i guess there seems to be enough on there i think.

I used to have kws on my old gti but am considering the bc's now how did you find them for general road use and ride height ? Was there much difference in stiffness ? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jnathan said:

Thanks clayton will look to recycle my old grille i guess there seems to be enough on there i think.

I used to have kws on my old gti but am considering the bc's now how did you find them for general road use and ride height ? Was there much difference in stiffness ? 

 

BC’s are good for the money, but the KW V2’s are on another level to them. The BC’s are a bit softer on the road, but allow too much roll on track.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CLAYTONJONES said:

BC’s are good for the money, but the KW V2’s are on another level to them. The BC’s are a bit softer on the road, but allow too much roll on track.

Did you sell your BCs on ? I only had kw v1s and found them good enough for road use so maybe the BCs could do the job for me. Already i feel the whiteline arb has improved things with the standard setup 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Jnathan said:

Did you sell your BCs on ? I only had kw v1s and found them good enough for road use so maybe the BCs could do the job for me. Already i feel the whiteline arb has improved things with the standard setup 

Yeah I sold them on almost the same day! I would probably chose BC’s over the V1’s due to being able to adjust the dampening control👍🏼

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Hi Clayton, haven’t heard from you in a while! Hope all’s well with you and the Loop!

I’m looking at a set of Wilwoods but having trouble finding a supplier. Did you get yours via Rally Design? Mk2 Golf G60 type I assume? They don’t seem big on full fitting kits either, may have to pick and mix components…!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, cpcpeter said:

Hi Clayton, haven’t heard from you in a while! Hope all’s well with you and the Loop!

I’m looking at a set of Wilwoods but having trouble finding a supplier. Did you get yours via Rally Design? Mk2 Golf G60 type I assume? They don’t seem big on full fitting kits either, may have to pick and mix components…!

Hi mate, all is great, will be doing an update today! 
 

Yeah I got mine from Rally Design a couple of years ago so I’m not sure if they’ve changed a urging know the time. Yes MK2 G60 👍🏼

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For all of you that don’t follow me on Instagram you probably don’t know about the mega weekend I have just had. We headed out to the Nürburgring on Thursday morning, had a relaxed day on the Thursday travelling down. Done some TF laps Friday evening, 4 I managed in a couple of hours, the car felt incredible so I couldn’t wait for a full day of TF on the Saturday. Managed another 7 laps that day without any issues! 

I also met up with Misha from Apex to do a video on the car if you haven’t seen it already, it was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had, quite scary being a passenger in your own car around the Nürburgring. I won’t spoil it too much, you’ll have to watch a video which I’ll leave a link below!

https://youtu.be/fW-3MGG6jdc

We travelled home on the Monday morning, all the way from Nürburgring to Cadwell Park for a trackday on the Tuesday, call me mad but it was never planned to be like that haha. 

The trackday at Cadwell went fantastic too, again, zero issues with the car after 60-70 laps of Cadwell. 

All in all I done just over 1800 miles in the trip :) I’ll leave all the pictures from the trip below :)

17-B40-FFB-F71-D-45-C4-BC77-C43363-F966-
CBB1688-C-F52-A-4-F43-9-EF2-B155-F486152
CD044668-11-C4-4-FFF-8-D71-C174290-CA12-
D0496-FE5-CB70-4922-973-D-09-AC162-A1-E2
462-AE1-AD-978-B-4712-85-CF-831-C350944-
A9-B37-E53-A854-4-DAE-9236-1-A9-A9-EFF49
7-A1-D50-E9-6-AE1-4-FD5-890-A-FA97745104
49-B5-D153-1-C67-4-E4-F-ADBF-3-FB02-EB30
67-CC6452-36-C6-435-D-9-B91-3-CE72-EB34-
2-DCADF95-465-E-4-CB0-84-F9-8-DB8-BA08-D
478-AB9-AC-6-EC4-4621-B699-2-B087-EA936-
45-B09232-DFE5-4-DB6-BA73-CE4-F8299-BF44
C9685194-A31-E-411-C-90-DE-5-A630546-D3-
3-EC94-AA3-72-FC-42-C2-A816-886-AD2927-A
0092-DB67-2360-4-C2-F-9909-6-AE87-F75-A1
307-F76-AF-293-E-4-BB5-99-FA-9-CF5-D1389
86-B3-CFD0-655-A-46-F8-B0-CD-5-CF92079-B
A5-E53-FAC-D503-4635-89-FB-6-E8-BA965-DE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.