Clayton's Tornado Red GTI..

CLAYTONJONES

Welcome to the newest mod, this is something that has been in the pipeline for a really long time. A coolerworx short shifter! They would only make two as it wasn’t worth their time to do just one so I had to find someone else who wanted one which I did luckily!
It has really transformed the driving experience, bringing the shifter closer to the steering wheel is something the car has needed since fitting the Pole Positions. It feels incredible too, shifts are so short and crisp now. Let me know what you think, i’ve still got a bit of tidying up to do around the shifter but i’m happy with it.

39TUOk1.jpg
Mo3dpiM.jpg
0EDnAa1.jpg
aZn6a74.jpg
https://youtu.be/5uPd_8_dYcw
https://youtu.be/f-YFgsCtXIg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Me and a friend in his completely standard GTI engine wise went out today, first time i’ve had the chance to put mine next to a standard one to see if all the money i’ve spent tuning it is really worth it. Turns out it definitely is! Video below

Me and a friend in his completely standard GTI engine wise went out today, first time i’ve had the chance to put mine next to a standard one to see if all the money i’ve spent tuning it is really worth it. Turns out it definitely is! Video below

https://youtu.be/swz8tHAf0L8

Edited by CLAYTONJONES

Just now, LR5V said:

To be clear - you were obviously on a national speed limit road.

Cant remember if you had fitted Cams? - if not they must be on the shopping list

We popped to Mexico for the day 👍🏼 

Yeah i have, made a nice different with the headwork and map

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 10:35 PM, CLAYTONJONES said:

We popped to Mexico for the day 👍🏼 

Yeah i have, made a nice different with the headwork and map

What's fuel economy like with all the mods?  Keep thinking about cams, but the car is still a daily so not sure if it's worth waiting until it becomes a second car.

1 hour ago, Nathan94 said:

What's fuel economy like with all the mods?  Keep thinking about cams, but the car is still a daily so not sure if it's worth waiting until it becomes a second car.

For normal driving its probably better if anything with the map. As soon as you are on it, it’s noticeable worse🤣

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Nothing too exciting to update on, just been driving and maintaning the car exactly how it should. I had to replace the alternator a few weeks ago as that decided to fail on me, very easy job to do though luckily. I've also just got myself a brand new set of Nankang AR1's to try on the warmer sunny days and track days. Heard good things about these so looking forward to trying them! Already got a Nurburgring ring trip booked for July and potentially a trip over on easter weekend. 

I'll leave a few recent pictures below :)

8f8fdee759a3b42a369a52420f301525.jpg
911420e7691e7675231896561800ee19.jpg
b498449b165a3801b9951afa6bb817fa.jpg
6eed28d7d8240c0e35fb51fbe7baa0e4.jpg
db3d0c5b37c0d042f5afb66f6cbc656d.jpg
312ca57e6d80035477d633029fe7f0b9.jpg
83fcf1b71cd187cf22ae6846977509d3.jpg
fa161a94a298069cab5ed02965325a63.jpg

• 2 months later...

Recently fitted an OMP upper strut brace, they come in Red but as it's a different shade of Red, I had to paint it satin Black. Pleased with how it looks now, not sure if they actually make any difference to the handling, always read mixed opinions on them. 

IMG-3132.jpg
DSC-0005.jpg
DSC-0008.jpg

Also took a trip down the Goodwood last weekend to spectate a trackday and meet up with another GTI owner. Goodwood is an incredible place if you've never been before, spoke to some very interesting ex racing drivers that made the day that bit better :)

IMG-3115.jpg
DSC-0015.jpg
DSC-0008-1.jpg
DSC-0003.jpg

Hope everyone is keeping well during this strange time. 

As i'm sure many of you are just as bored as me, it leads to us doing things we wouldn't usually do! 

Removed my RARB today as the orginal costing had started to fail so I cleaned it up as best I could and gave it a fresh coat of Satin Black.

IMG-3380.jpg
IMG-3388.jpg

Also refreshed the brake fluid as well, wouldn't say it neccessarily needed it sonce the last one was around 10 months ago but for something to do! Brake fluid choice was Motul RBF 660, always had good results with ths!

IMG-3402.jpg
IMG-3407.jpg

Whilst the wheels were off, gave them a good clean inside and out :)

IMG-3408.jpg
IMG-3409.jpg
DSC-0008-2.jpg
IMG-3317.jpg

• Like 1

Something else i've been meaning to do for a while now, ever since having the Coolerworx shifter fitted, the underneath area has always annoyed me. It just looked a bit tatty, at the time of fitting we didn't have time to do this unfortunately so thats why it's taken me this long to do. Fair to say it turned out rather well :)

IMG-3431.jpg
IMG-3435.jpg
IMG-3437.jpg

Yes - goodwood is a very cool place - several years ago I made the long trip down to revival, I need to do the FoS!

Voluntary brake fluid replacement - fella you need better planning for isolation!

It could be worse - I thought I was being smart, I got new suspension for the Mk5 and a good few other things to keep me tinkering... Only for the wife's car to die in the driveway - it already had engine wear that caused skipped timing, its an engine out repair. The drive has a slope, the road outside has a high crown - its also an auto - it cant be moved by hand - we are going to scrap it or trade it in on scrappage scheme - but when will the dealers open?

So the upshot is - I can't get the golf into the drive to fit the new stuff and a double whammy its blocking the Lupo in the garage, if we end up still stuck for summer, and the big "if" is also good weather, I cant even fix the Lupo sill!

Update: 

Seeing as I was supposed to be going to the Nurburgring easter weekend, obviously that isn't happening now so I have a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket. This upgrade is something i've been wanting to do for some time but it's the most expensive one so far and things like the Nurburgring and trackdays tend to come first. So, I placed an order for a Quaife LSD :) It should be here tomorrow so with all this time on our hands I thought i'd crack on and get the gearbox out ready, only takes around 1.5 hours. Whilst it was out I thought I may as well tidy it up with a bit of Silver paint, safe to say it looks much better!

5-A4-F406-F-17-E0-446-D-B430-12-AE8-C9-D
IMG-3622.jpg
IMG-3643.jpg
IMG-3640.jpg

Also put the OZ & AR1 combo back on, went for a drive to the 'shops' and my god I forgot how much grip a set of semi slicks on a warm day can offer!

DSC-0048.jpg
DSC-0062.jpg
DSC-0042.jpg
DSC-0052.jpg