no light buzzer, no interior light when drivers door opens

Same for me but only the light buzzer doesnt work, the amount of times the neighbours have knocked on my door telling me ive left the lights on lol!

doesn't sound like a relay problem.

I'd say it's going to be the door switch.

when you open it, there's a little clicky thing, pull it out, replace it, should be problem sorted.

I'd be tempted to say the relay but there's two faults which are both connected to one thing.

Door lock microswitch, mine did all the above, changed the drivers door lock and now it's fine. Easy way to test, remove door card and insulation, then press the microswitch on the bottom of the door lock, or short the terminals, the light will come on/go off.

thanks for the advice, all i did was

take off door card

locate wires and switch

push and pull the switch whilst closing the door

found that the switch worked when the wire's were pulled towards the front of the car

taped the wires in new position

tested it worked

then put the door panel back and now it works

so thanks very much

• 1 month later...

Door lock microswitch, mine did all the above, changed the drivers door lock and now it's fine. Easy way to test, remove door card and insulation, then press the microswitch on the bottom of the door lock, or short the terminals, the light will come on/go off.

Where is the microswitch I can find the red and blue wires but nothing I can press???

• 3 years later...

it will be the door lock, very common issue on VAG cars from about 1998.

There is a door lock switch built inside the lock which if operating correctly will turn on the interior light and set the buzzer off within the instrument panel if lights are left on.

There are three different part numbers for the driver's door for the RHD market with a change of part number in mid 2002 for models with central locking.

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, mine is LHD.

Here's why I'm asking, because since the cold weather started, I'm having issues starting in the morning, changed the battery, it slightly improved, but now i blame it on the pump not priming when i open the door - i still have another option, to switch ignition on, wait a bit, then start - i'll try in the morning.

Edited by Danyutz

• 2 months later...

Since this thread isnt too old, is the switch replaceable or is it a whole lock mechanism jobby, finally got the car last night, drove 2 meters this morning and the fault light flicked on, got that sorted local with new coils and a water temp sender, but now the interior light isnt trigering from the drivers door, was working until this evening and its just packed in, after the nightmare iv had getting this car I know i should be able to get it done under the warranty but really dont want to drive it all the way to chesterfield if its an easy cheap job.