Forced Rat Cars

LiamD

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I think RAT is OK when done well, or done naturally! But in my opinion, some people just think too much and try too hard.

And Rat is not new or specific to the "scene". I remember in the 70s and 80s guys runnning old cars etc with good engines, but just leaving the bodywork to gather the daily abuse that a car gets when used around town. It was referred to as a rat back then. I my spent all my money on the engines and running gear of my Singer Chamois and then my Sunbeam Stilleto.

They probably got washed a couple of times a year and picked up many car park wounds.

When I could afford a better car, a '76 Imp Super, I then lavished some time and effort on it's looks too.

:)

And I think RAT is OK when done well, or done naturally! But in my opinion, some people just think too much and try too hard.

And Rat is not new or specific to the "scene". I remember in the 70s and 80s guys runnning old cars etc with good engines, but just leaving the bodywork to gather the daily abuse that a car gets when used around town. It was referred to as a rat back then. I my spent all my money on the engines and running gear of my Singer Chamois and then my Sunbeam Stilleto.

They probably got washed a couple of times a year and picked up many car park wounds.

When I could afford a better car, a '76 Imp Super, I then lavished some time and effort on it's looks too.

:)

^ This sums it all up in my opinion, and I agree with it!

A ratty car is fine when it's natural patina, or has the power to back it up. Taking a nice car and turning it into a rat (thus, forced rat) is what I don't like.

My Sport is not Forced Rat its Economic Rat. its the real deal :lol:

I kept it so clean for a long time but it gets too much abuse day to day to keep smart. Now my theory is just fix what

has to be fixed and forget about the rest. I really do get the real Rat thing it gives you a sense of freedom to enjoy the car for

what it is a metal box on wheels that you drive around. You can park it anywhere drive it anywhere the car takes on a whole personality. If someone backs into your car and you get a little ding it does not cause you stress. I really do enjoy my sport more than i ever have done and it looks total trash

When i get to where i am going in the morning and no one else is around its nice to be able to sit on the bonnet in the fresh air and

keep my ass warm or when its sunny lay on the roof

I know a guy called Dave who got an iPhone off ebay with broken glass but never intended to fix it. He uses it with the broken glass obviously with screen protector so he does not get splinters in his hand. The thing is he is not so stupid, its always a conversation starter because people are like oh my god your screen is broken. I have found its the same with my car when i had it super shiny and tidy it was just another car to the average person but now people want to know why it is the way it is and every thing about the car tells a story. To me that is what real rat is about its a living car

Forced rat can be cool but its more like fantasy role play its kinda like driving the ghostbusters car its cool if its just a bit of a laugh but sad if people really get obsessed

PMSL @ economic rat on a modern car , in other words its just scruffy looking .

Double PMSL @ dave and his conversation starting cracked screen phone , if thats what he uses to start talking to people he must be the life and soul of any party.

Patina is surface shape and colour developed over time , a 2000 reg lupo does not poses this, a 70's beetle etc etc certainly could.

afaik the term rat came from rat rod's, there was a program on sky where they spoke to the originator of the term and how it all started, i will be back if i can find links

Surely Forced Rat is a legitimate trend amongst the owners of cars still too young to look that old. I'd really only say it was legitimate if a knackered scrap shell was stabilised before being put back on the road.

All my cars are "can't be arsed to do anything with it", so they age naturally. My recently bought Altea is slowly turning from red to pink as all red cars should B)

• 2 weeks later...