R.I.P. My Lupo

JB1.0e

I was involved in a major car accident last Monday evening.

I was stationary at a set of temporary traffic lights when a foreign HGV hit my Lupo. The police are still investigating the exact cause but believe that the HGV hit me at a speed between 40 and 50mph. I can't remeber too much but my valiant little Lupo did its job and I survived. The paramedic that attended the scence was amazed that anyone could survive the accident as the HGV was sitting on top on the car which was puched slightly underneath a recovery vehicle that was ahead of my car. They took about 2 hours to cut me free from my car from where I was taken to the hospital in York. I spent a week there getting back together, considering the size of accident I think a few cuts, bruises, a fractured finger a stable spinal fracture and a small bleed in the brain were getting away easily.

I just wanted to post something where I could explain that I am really sad about my car, I know at the end of the day it was only a car and that it did its job in protecting me but I will really miss that car. Thank you Volkswagen for making the Lupo and thank yo for making it so tough!

Lupo.jpg

crash-car_jpg_display.jpg

069.jpg

James

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, I think that the HGV landed on top of the Lupo and partly on top of the recovery vehicle ahead, the steering wheel was unmoved but I have a big bruise on my right shoulder which the paramedic said was the rear head restraint, they reckon the drivers seat shifted slightly and I had slipped into the footwell. The picture has the bonnet and passenger door inside so it is all kept together. The police still have not released the car so I have not been able to see it properly yet. Considering the wreckage I think my injuries seem quite minor, although I am not allowed to drive for 6weeks and I have to wear a brace for a bit to stabilise my spine.

Thank you, I think that the HGV landed on top of the Lupo and partly on top of the recovery vehicle ahead, the steering wheel was unmoved but I have a big bruise on my right shoulder which the paramedic said was the rear head restraint, they reckon the drivers seat shifted slightly and I had slipped into the footwell. The picture has the bonnet and passenger door inside so it is all kept together. The police still have not released the car so I have not been able to see it properly yet. Considering the wreckage I think my injuries seem quite minor, although I am not allowed to drive for 6weeks and I have to wear a brace for a bit to stabilise my spine.

Will you get another James? or is it the Scirocco from now on? :)

Glad to hear you are up and about already - was worried when Al told me about it, it looked so bad I'd never have thought you'd get away with such (relatively!) minor injuries! R.I.P. trusty Lupo, you did your job well.

How about next time you go for a colour that isn't relax silver - like bright fluorescent orange! No chance of not being seen then :lol:

Orange! That is an excellent idea! I had been looking at very large rear bull bars and monster truck tyres!

To be honest every one that met me in hospital was shocked at how lucky I was, I have been told I have been "Saved to do great things" oh dear.

Wow, that really is unbelievable, so glad to hear you're on the mend. What a great little car - take care of yourself and hope you have a quick recovery. x

Holy Poo mate, so glad you got away with such few injuries considering.....Were you unconscious for it all or aware of what was going on? Scary i bet.

Happy lupo shopping

Where theres a blame theres a claim.....

again, so pleased and obviously amazed you are ok. Im absolutely gob smacked and cant even imagine how shaken up you must be. And in all honesty i am soooooooo proud of the lupo, soo impressive that it kept you alive in such a horrendous accident. i remember in the news that HGV driver that hit that Peugeot (albeit a bit quicker) and that girl was crushed and killed on the motorway. so what are these great things youve been saved to do lol, i think god wasnt ready to take you as you hadnt yet had the joy of owning a Gti so best get on that sharpish ;) . take care and speedy recovery mate