Lupo Race Build

truCido

Congrats on the trophies dude good work :thumbup:

Thanks!! Will have to get a cabinet soon haha

Good job on passing the integra in race 2 :-) seemed like they held you back for quite a while...

Yeah its awkward because I'm clearly faster in the corners and it seems pretty even on acceleration. So I have to make sure I get a good run out of a corner or try and out brake him

What did you find to be the problem on the car mine seems to be doing to same and I'm running out of ideas.

My cars probably quite different to a standard setup so hard to compare. Mine was to do with my throttle bodies not being balanced i.e. cylinders 1 + 2 were closed and 3 + 4 were open. On a standard car I'd say change the coilpack, HT leads and plugs and it would probably solve your issues

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks smile.gif Found the prob!!

IMG_0207.jpg

Whats this dude? my cars being a mare with gears so i'm gonna take her apart and see if anywheres dodged!

Whats this dude? my cars being a mare with gears so i'm gonna take her apart and see if anywheres dodged!

If you look at the back of the gearbox you'll see cables heading out of it towards the gear stick inside the car. It's mounted on the bottom edge of the bulkhead pretty much.

To be honest the gearbox's on these cars aren't great, but its worth a quick look!

thanks i'll have a check when im not working!

• 2 weeks later...

So I think this was the first weekend where good weather was actually predicting sunny weather!! We had qualifying and a race on Saturday and then a warm up and a race on Sunday.

On Saturday I went out for qualifying and after the 3rd lap someone dropped a load of coolant up over the ride and into Quarry, which caused the MG ZR of Stephen Dowler to go into the tyre wall straight ahead and the Fiesta of Kelly Williams to spin in front of me and go into the tyre wall to the left. Luckily I span to the right and managed to avoid everything and continue on. The safety car soon came out and we had 5 laps under the safety car whilst cars were recovered and the drivers looked after! I didn't really get into things after that and did a 1:24.576 on my last lap which isn't too bad and put me 4th in class and 17th overall.

Youtube Video Race 1 -

I got a pretty decent start but had to lift off or be pushed off so lost a little ground. I managed to stick in my position for a lap then and then managed to get around the outside of Russell Poynter-Brown in his Corsa going around Tower, putting me into 3rd in Class. I stayed there for a lap but then had a bit of a moment on Folly. The back end went and at those speeds there's not much I could do really so ended up in the field and then into the crops, amazing how quickly you slow after hitting them!! I drove out and could immediately feel the steering was weird, it was juddering and I thought I'd damaged something so pulled off into the paddock. Turns out there was a large lump of wet mud stuck to the wheel which was throwing the balance out. But anyway got a DNF for that one :( but at least there wasn't any damage for the race the day after!

We had a warm up session in the morning which was good to do after the previous days off road outings, just to make sure everything was holding up.

Went to start the race and realised my camera wasn't working. Must've accidentally pressed the power button in the bag and drained the battery :( I was starting from the back as the 2nd race is the previous races finishing order so 26th on the grid (I wasn't the first to drop out lol) and 7th in class. I immediately took about 7 cars off the line and was up about 12 positions after Quarry and dropped a few before the lap was out, so crossed the line in 16th and 3rd in Class. I was closing in on the battle ahead with Russell Akers in his Astra (in my class) and Paul Ashton and after getting my head down to catch up I put in a new PB of 1:22.788 and caught right up to Russell. We were being lapped at the time and he ran a little wide at Quarry and I managed to get down the inside of him (2nd!!) and put a little gap between us however a back marker then held me up going into the Esses so he was right back on my bumper :( I made a few mistakes as I was too busy watching Russell behind me as he's much better under braking and a lap later after a mistake at the Esses he managed to pull alongside me going into Tower and outdid me on the brakes. I was gaining on him in most places but under braking I just couldn't pull it off, going into Camp in the last corner I went to the inside and Russell moved over to defend so I went back to the outside but we were both where we didn't really want to be and Russell ran a little wide out of camp but managed to keep the position and I finished 0.4 secs behind him!

It was a great race for me, especially with a new PB into the 1:22's and tussling with Russell. All clean racing as well which makes for a good day for all!!

22ndJuly-Lupo2.jpg

22ndJuly-Lupo1.jpg

22ndJuly-Lupo3.jpg

Edited by truCido

looking good mate! that seat leon is amazing :D

• 3 weeks later...

Woohoo it's all about LSD in a fwd should make a big difference :thumbup: Who made it? I've only seen Quaiffe LSDs for lupos & a mate who builds racing cars doesn't rate them.

Enjoyed the vid above. That orange 206 was flying! :wub:

haha yeah mate the front running cars do fly. Most of them at 1.8L engines and above or turbo'd cars. The 206 is a 2.0 N/A car but as you can tell its tuned lol. There's also a few 106's running silly power!

• 1 month later...

As some of you may have seen on facebook some of you I managed to win my class on Sunday :D

Qualifying Fastest Lap -

The race -

I qualified in 2nd just a tenth behind 1st and we were lined up next to each other on the grid. I had a few gear selection issues during qualifying which turned out to be because my clutch had fully un-adjusted itself and I was a little low on gearbox oil so topped that up at the same time...

The race I got a pretty good start and managed to get into first in class pretty much straight away and with a bit of luck Russell getting blocked by others. Had a little tap with Paul Ashton into Quarry on the 2nd lap...after that it was pretty free running, I could see Russell starting to catch me behind but he made a mistake out of camp which put him back to a safe distance! Apart from that I was getting pretty frustrated behind the orange Polo that obviously had huge amounts of power but wasn't too great in the corners...he locked up going into the Esses and I misjudged my braking/turn in and ended up on the grass myself but kept infront and Dave Challenger came past shortly after in his white Leon, but after a bit of confusion with the fire car I think I passed on the braking point into Quarry and managed to keep it infront and then only really had to deal with being lapped by a few others and the carnage that was presenting itself around the track!! Then went out for a ride on the winners car and stand up on the podium :D

podium_zps76d2b644.jpg

car_zpsd77463ce.jpg

Was a great end to the season and makes all the effort we put in worth it!! Want to say a special thanks to Jay for helping me out all year, couldn't do it without him!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great topic, I'm always up at the coombe saloons as I look after Carlton Williams mgzr and hopefully next year Nigel Marsh will make a return and will give Tony Hutchings and the Prebble boys a run for their money :) Will pop over and say hi next time