Lupo Race Build

truCido

• 2 weeks later...

yeah at combe on Sunday. ummmm qualifying at 9am :wacko: then on the grid walk at 11:45 (we park up on the grid and public allowed on the track around all the cars), race at 1pm and then at 4:15pm

I wouldn't let it stop me, bank account doesn't like it though :D

yeah at combe on Sunday. ummmm qualifying at 9am :wacko: then on the grid walk at 11:45 (we park up on the grid and public allowed on the track around all the cars), race at 1pm and then at 4:15pm

I wouldn't let it stop me, bank account doesn't like it though :D

may come up for a half day visit, perhaps grid walk and first race, my dad seems interested in coming too, whats ticket entry so i can prep the coins?

It's actually quite expensive :( £15 each on Sunday

will have to make a whole day of it then! shame the lupo boot is too small, or i'd hide there lol. (i could always shave and be "under 16" if it helps lol).

will have to make a whole day of it then! shame the lupo boot is too small, or i'd hide there lol. (i could always shave and be "under 16" if it helps lol).

I couldn't possible agree with that :P under 16's are free tho!

• 4 weeks later...

Look what weve had in the workshop...

2011-06-15191827.jpg

Looks awesome :)

If anyone else is interested in polycarb windows give me a shout :-)

(Sorry for the shameless plug :P)

I'm very interested in a window kit for my Lupo (build thread to start soon). Looked on the website and cant find any info.

Also interested in some group A engine mounts (nudges Trucido) or some poly mounts whatever I can get my hands on.

Edited by robbig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

right sorry for the lack of updates!! been a few things since the last post.....so we got an S60 installed and its alive :) I did a track day the week after to run the engine in and I failed the sound check (got 113dB lol!!) the limit being 100dB, so a quick trip to my exhaust supplier Infinity Exhausts to get an extra box installed and back again, after a lap I lost power and it sounded like a tractor, then when pulling up my o/s/f brake started pouring out smoke. We found my lambda bung had popped out so bought a new one from the shop at Combe and took the calliper off and worked it a bit and copper grease and wd40 everywhere and it seemed fine. So I went back out and I was seeing low oil pressure, so unfortunately I had to call it a day :( After some discussion with the engine builder I replaced the oil pump on my driveway and instantly saw better oil pressure, after a bit more running in I decided that I'd do my first race.

I went out for qualifying and after 3 laps (minimum I have to do) I saw my oil pressure looked low so decided to come in, in the pits the gauge showed 0 pressure. After putting in a mechanical gauge and seeing 30psi we decided that I just had a dodgy gauge!! grrr!! Anyway I'd qualified 27th with a 1:30.335, 8th in class out of 10, 3 seconds off my best ever time but with the problems and first time back I was happy with this.

The race, obviously nerves kicking in but as soon as you line up these disappear quite quickly :) I gave it too much on the start and got too much wheelspin but everyone else seemed to do the same! I dived down the inside of a few cars going into quarry and locked up, meaning I got passed again on the exit, then unfortunately me nearest competition pulled off with problems :( and people in front pulled away and I left the people behind. After 5 or so laps I realised I'd used 1/4 tank (I only put in 1/2 tank and its 15 laps!) so I backed off a bit and after 11 laps I think it was a medi helicopter was hovering above the circuit attending a previous incident so the race was stopped. I finished 23rd, 7th in class with a best time of 1:27.438, which is equalling last season, which tbh I'm not very happy with but the map was setup with a very safe map and it was my first time back so I suppose its ok lol.

raceday.jpg

After getting the map tweaked a bit I booked a few sessions on the Forge Action Day, I went out for the first session and after 2 laps, out pops the lambda bung again.......grrrr!! So back in and have to wait a bit till the next session. Lining up for the next session and suddenly a marshall starts waving at me and oil is spraying out of the front of a car in a massive wave!!! Get towed back to out point in the paddock and the oil coolers burst :( (brand new may I add!!) so sent it back to Mocal who have said it must be a manufacturing defect so they've sent me another.

Aside from that I've bought a few new presents :)

Short shift

shortshift.jpg

lighter doors from the GTi (I do have both not just the one lol)

door.jpg

and obviously due to the luck that I have....

doorbent.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So went out for qualifying and was surrounded by traffic for most of the start and couldn't manage a decent time and after a few I was getting a shuddering through the steering at speed and the car was pulling to one side and really didn't feel right. So I came into the pits and we couldn't see anything wrong apart from the smoking o/s caliper so went out to try and put a better time in with the shuddering steering and I did a 1:28.324, which put me 32nd on the grid, 8th in class.

We took the o/s caliper off (after about an hour of cooling! it was that hot) and worked it a little and couldn't see any issues to put it back on and hoped for the best. We also checked all the steering components but couldn't see anything obviously wrong so decided to live with it!

On the grid I couldn't actually see the lights!! So had to lean over and look through someone elses car...not ideal! Managed to get a half decent start with a little wheel spin and instantly around the green MG (Pete Weston) in front and down the inside of the silver MG (Paul Ashton). Paul managed to pass me going into the Esses and then somehow Pete passed coming out of the Esses towards Old Paddock. I kept close to Paul and manged to pass after a good exit from Camp. Paul passed again going into Tower, I seem to lose a lot of pace from the Esses to Tower. Then going into Camp Paul tapped Pete causing him to lose a bit of speed and I couldn't help but give him a little tap on the back bumper as well (my first racing incident!) Pete managed to keep ahead and I nearly passed coming out of Quarry but we had a similar pace and Pete just kept in front but I managed to finish the pass in the Esses and really for much of the race I stayed there. Paul pulled away having a quicker car but on the last lap I think Paul was having some issues and I started to rapidly gain on him. The lap board had said 2 laps remaining so I thought I had another lap to get passed but as I came out of Camp close to Paul again and about to pass I saw the chequered flag was out! A shame really but I had a good race none the less with a bit more action this time! I finished 23rd, and 6th in class with best lap time of 1:26.849 (new PB!).

Still not entirely happy with the car and I know where I'm losing my time so hopefully next year I can fix the issues and get me up the field a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this thread from start to finish.

What ECU are you using? Is it a DTAfast Pro S60? I've been looking at putting Throttle Bodies on my 1.4S just to give it a little more umph and a nicer sound.

Did you buy the Jenvy set up directly from them, and if so, how much money was it? Also, what else was needed for the conversion? I noticed that you have a very clean, and spacious, engine bay, what would I need to remove/relocate?

Cheers in advance,

Si

Sucks that your having issues mate, I'm sure they will iron out. If the dta will accept an egt sensor I'd get one fitted as I found it really helps with mapping.

On another note, I linked up my tbs to the pedal box a while back, feels really smooth. Can't wait!

John

The top end sounds horrible :( I'm putting the standard cams back in I think and seeing what its like.

The S60 accepts every sensor going I think lol!! would be good for me to have EGT in the logs though like you say.

Ohhhh good stuff :) I'm thinking of getting longer trumpets to help move the torque down the revs a bit

I've started trying to sort my engine and started to do a few other bits and pieces as well. I'd suffered with bad brake fade and the front right caliper was sticking so decided to go for a refurb!!

Went from this:

2011-10-23163657.jpg

2011-10-23163724.jpg

To this:

2011-11-07170410.jpg

2011-11-07170309.jpg