Lupo Race Build

truCido

What's the race calendar looking like?

I went on the castle comb website the other day to look at the dates when "joe public" could have a go. Do you know how long the taster session is?

Can't seem to bring myself to do it yet, I need more encouragement / bigger brave pills

Sam

Edited by sam bignell

Great vid! Shame about the spins, as you were doing well.

Thanks Silver :)

What's the race calendar looking like?

I went on the castle comb website the other day to look at the dates when "joe public" could have a go. Do you know how long the taster session is?

Can't seem to bring myself to do it yet, I need more encouragement / bigger brave pills

Sam

Sorry what taster session is that? There are track days pretty much every week and you're looking at about £150 for a whole day I think. There's also action days which are approx £30-£35 for 15 minutes, these can be ok as long as there aren't a load of idiots out on track, but if you're looking for your first experience 15 mins might be enough :)

Race calendar this year is:

Monday 7 May – Motors TV Live Race Day - double header for me!

Monday 4th June – June Bank Holiday Raceday

Saturday /Sunday 16th and 17th June - Anglo-Japanese Sportscar Weekend - double header for me!

Saturday and Sunday 21st and 22nd July – The Classic 50 Race Weekend

Monday 27th August – August Bank Holiday Raceday

Saturday and Sunday 6th and 7th October – The Castle Combe Autumn Classic & Grand Finals Race Weekend

Good vid your last one! - Was a shame about the spins tho :( - Is your rear ARB fixed or adjustable? perhaps you could switch to the Awesome Gti Rear ARB, as you can soften it down for wet races, and sharpen it back to what you are used to on the dry? would make the back less prone to spinning out on the high speed lifts.

^very good point. Less pressure in the rear tyres should help counteract oversteer too. I thought you held on to most of those slides very well tbf!

Good vid your last one! - Was a shame about the spins tho :( - Is your rear ARB fixed or adjustable? perhaps you could switch to the Awesome Gti Rear ARB, as you can soften it down for wet races, and sharpen it back to what you are used to on the dry? would make the back less prone to spinning out on the high speed lifts.

The ARB is fixed, good idea with the ARB will have to look into that. I softened the rear suspension as much as I could but to be honest the adjustment didn't really make too much difference lol!

^very good point. Less pressure in the rear tyres should help counteract oversteer too. I thought you held on to most of those slides very well tbf!

Good idea! I'll also give that a go, I was running 26psi all round. I was also thinking about some rear spacers I did used to have some on but in the dry there wasn't too big a difference but in the wet it may help a little.

and thank you :) You should have seen some of the ones in qualifying when I was on AD08's with added oil slicks lol!!

The ARB is fixed, good idea with the ARB will have to look into that.

Mine on the middle setting allows just a little slip on tight corners, yours would be what mine would be like on the harder setting.

I was also thinking about some rear spacers I did used to have some on but in the dry there wasn't too big a difference but in the wet it may help a little.

Spacers are a good idea too, mine are 15mm and make a big difference that I can only really notice when I remove them for when i have had rear passengers as the steering becomes a lot less agile. Just got to watch for the arches cutting chunks out your tyres tho so best to roll them to accomodate.

Looking forward to your next race video!

They advertised a "taster session" on their website, no information though :(

I'll be looking at July though as I can't put the Clio on our trailer, the bumper catches straight away on the ramp and a few areas. I've put the dates in my calendar so should be watching at some point. Past couple of years I turn up for the Rally Day, but haven't been to your series yet

I look forward to it

They advertised a "taster session" on their website, no information though :(

I'll be looking at July though as I can't put the Clio on our trailer, the bumper catches straight away on the ramp and a few areas. I've put the dates in my calendar so should be watching at some point. Past couple of years I turn up for the Rally Day, but haven't been to your series yet

I look forward to it

oh right!! Can't you just pop off the front bumper? I have to remove the lower bumper on the Lupo to get it on. Good stuff :) I'll be doing the action day at the end of this month as well

It's French, nothing is simple! More to the point its a pain in the arse to realign from what I've read.

Be interested to see how your sport would compare with say a Gti going round (I expect it'll need to be stripped like yours to make it even :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Got the manifold repaired this weekend, I'm not happy with the quality of the Raceland manifold I must admit so I'm looking for a different manifold. Oh and bought 7 extra wheels (thanks james 16v!)

2012-04-21193403.jpg

Edited by truCido

Next race is on May bank holiday - 7th May - Motors TV Live Race Day - If you can't get down to the circuit then check us out live on Sky channel 413 or Virgin Media channel 545 at 13:55 and 2nd race at 16:40 :)

I've had the exhaust repaired by Infinity Exhausts and added an extra support and I'm about to replace the rear engine mount as it looks pretty shot so may have been causing excessive movement which made the manifold snap.

Motors TV Race Day - 7th May 2012 - Race 1 Report

YouTube Video -

As usual with a race that's going out live on TV there was a big grid! 37 cars qualified and I managed to qualify 20th on the grid, 4th in class with a time of 1:41.952 which I was very happy with. It was raining for the whole of qualifying which seems to suit me!!

Before the first race the sun came out and a dry line started to form and then it started to rain so I decided that I would stick with my "wet tyres". Got an ok start and going up into Quarry I couldn't see a thing as you'll see in my video. Cars were everywhere! I'd managed to make up 2 places in the first lap, Bill in his Ibiza managed to get past after I made a bit of a mistake a few laps later. My main goal really was to get past Steve Sutton in his 106 as he's in the same class as me. On the 8th lap I managed to get past him around the outside of camp as he made a little mistake :) This put me up into 3rd in class and 17th overall. I got some good traction around the outside of Tower past Bill but braked farrr to late and understeered a lot. Bill squeezed past the inside of Carl Loader in his Saxo going round Quarry, pushing him wide which allowed me to slide through after him as well. I knew I had good traction around the outside of Tower so decided I should go for it again and managed to pull it off this time :) and there was the chequered flag!! (although some people didn't realise *cough* Bill lol). Anyway a great race for me and my best ever result and a little trophy, 3rd in class and 15th overall :D

CAM00027.jpg

Race 2 report to follow....

Edited by truCido

• 4 weeks later...

In Car Video - [media=]

After a few running issues I'd decided to replace the HT leads and spark plugs however this didn't cure the issue so I franticly searched for a coilpack and thankfull Tony Hutchings (Audi TT) had one and brought it with him on the morning of the race, thank you Tony!! However it didn't cure the issue :( I was only running on 2 cylinders when idle, but thought I'd see how qualifying went anyway. I started to get ready and realised I didn't have my race boots!!! (they were 40 mins drive away) quick call to my Mum :D (who lives 20 mins from my house) and she managed to arrive literally just before we went out as there was a "technical" delay.

Had an ok qualifying, it stayed dry and I managed to qualify 28th overall and 5th in class with a time of 1:26.992 which was just shy of my PB. We had a grid walk before our race where we all line up on the grid and then the public are allowed out on track for half an hour to walk all around the cars and have a look :)

So the race.....I got a pretty decent start (can always be better!) and somehow up to 21st at the end of the first lap. I had a few close laps with Russell Akers in his Astra but he's got brakes the size of my wheels I think, he was outbraking me everywhere and he's a good second or two a lap quicker than me so the inevitable happened and he passed me. After a few dodgy gear changes, its my first dry race on my dry wheels and tyres so I'm really not used to the ratios, they managed to pull away a bit but I managed to catch back up to them as they were battling. Rob Ballard unfortunately put his Leon into the barrier at Tower and the safety car came out for a few laps. Russ made a mistake going into Quarry and I managed to get past him. A back marker then blocked him out braking me going into Tower. I then messed up Quarry a bit so he got a good drive past me and to be honest that's where I stayed the rest of the race!

I finished 5th in class and 22nd overall. I put in a new PB of 1:24.994 on lap 13 which I'm really happy with, especially as its my first dry race on these tyres with the new gearbox ratios. I need another second and a half off that to be competitive really but I'm sure I can make improvements in my driving first!

Had a really good day and some close racing for part of it. Thanks to my brother Jay for helping out and my Mum for driving like a loony to bring me my race boots :) And thanks to all the Marshall's who make our racing possible! See you on the 16th and 17th June :D Hopefully I'll sort my misfire sooooon!!

Pics to follow!

Edited by truCido

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a trip to Bill @ Badger5 to sort my issues out (cars running a lot better now!! Thanks Bill!!) we had a double header weekend.

Race 1 Video -

Race 1 Report

So I qualified 26th, 4th in class with a time of 1:24.900 which was a new PB for me! So I was obviously happy with that but I could feel there was definitely more to come from the car. I got blocked a few times whilst trying to put in a hot lap.

Got blocked a little on the start and going into the first corner there was a bit of an incident ahead so everything slowed and I went to put my foot down and as you hear in the video my clutch just span up, so I lost a few places and I was worried that was game over. A lap later Steve Sutton's 106 went into the wall at Quarry (you'll see on the vid) and the safety car was soon out. After the safety car went in I got a good restart and managed to overtake Geoff Wade in his Integra and to my surprise over the next few laps I was catching 2nd in Class, Russell Akers in his Astra. And then to even more of a surprise I managed to overtake him around the outside of Quarry :s so I was 2nd in class where I've never been before. I slid past Simon James in his Saxo at Tower and it was then a matter of keeping Russell behind me. I had more power however his braking and cornering is much better than mine. I put in a PB of 1:23.982 (another second off!!) whilst being chased. Unfortunately I left too much room whilst being lapped by Adam Prebble and Russell followed him through with only 2 laps to go :( and he managed to pull a bit of a gap whilst we were being lapped by more cars. At the last corner I had a bit of an incident...I didn't brake enough and went onto the grass and went across the line sideways :s people thought the car was going to roll due to the way it was hopping but I guess I got lucky there. Overall my best race I think, finished 3rd in Class and 21st overall. With a good position to start for Sunday.

Race 2 Video -

Race 2 Report

Got a pretty good start this time but the Leon in front didn't so had to dodge him! However the Integra seemed to make a great start as usual so slipped past. I managed to get down the inside of Kelly Williams in her Fiesta ST going into Tower and I kept chasing the Integra. I struggled to get past him at first and I could see Russell in the Astra disappearing into the distance. Geoff braked a bit early going into Quarry and took to the inside line to defend his position so I quickly moved to the outside but didn't get a good drive through and we went side by side into the Esses and had a little knock but I managed to make it stick and passed him. Kelly was right behind me for a few laps and I decided to let her through as I knew she was faster and I wasn't really racing her but to my surprise I managed to stick with her all the way to the end pretty much. I finished 3rd in Class and 18th overall. I got a new PB of 1:23.407 so over the weekend I'd managed to knock about 2 seconds off by PB!! A great weekend and some good racing. Plus 2 more trophies to add to my other :)

Next on my to do list is a LSD, just need to save some pennies but I think it'll make quite a big difference!

Edited by truCido