Lupo

99hjhm

this car is sooo trick!! awrome work mate, makes me think why do i bother lol!!

but seriously amazing work!

:lol: Thanks.

Ive been messing my pants over this thread for about 20 minutes now, great work dude.

Loving the carbon covered stuff, given me some good ideas ;)

IMHO though...the LCR Splitter being ripped off was the best thing that could have happened, no need for a splitter on the loop, they look amazing just the way they are :)

Well done tho man :)

Yeah, going to get another LCR splitter, just to see if it's better with or without. Should have taken it off for the winter, makes speed bumps much easier.

Wanted to get some bits done this weekend, not looking good with the weather. 305mm brake discs on order, they are not cheap! :(

Started welding the pipes for my induction set up.....

Decided to weld it myself although I'm not that good, bit of a pain as the quality of the bends is shocking, ment to be 316 seemless stainless mandrel bends, and they didn't send one. eBay for you.

Pipes don't line up, makes welding a pig.

69739_478249077193_563967193_5871084_1505047_n.jpg

Got some rally car mud flap material to make some mud gaurds too, snow is doing my head in.

What's the situation with the Mk 5 GTI seats?

Also, do you plan to change the material on the back seats to match those or do you have other plans?

Mk5 seats are sitting in my room, waiting on the sub frames been powder coated. Yes I need to speak to a trimmer on the rear seats, see what the best way of doing things is.

Mk5 seats are sitting in my room, waiting on the sub frames been powder coated. Yes I need to speak to a trimmer on the rear seats, see what the best way of doing things is.

Can you detail exactly how you'll mount the seats?

Will you use the railing from the original seats(the part that is mounted on the floor of the car - see pic below) and modify the seats so they fit the railing or modify the railing itself for the new seats?

th_frontseatrailing.jpg

One problem i have with my seats is that they squeek allot (especialy in the winter) and i found that if i push them forward and then back a bit it's ok for acouple of days. Mounting new seats on the same railes would mean they would squeek too.

Do you have the same problem?

Edited by hhhrobi

Can you detail exactly how you'll mount the seats?

Will you use the railing from the original seats(the part that is mounted on the floor of the car - see pic below) and modify the seats so they fit the railing or modify the railing itself for the new seats?

th_frontseatrailing.jpg

One problem i have with my seats is that they squeek allot (especialy in the winter) and i found that if i push them forward and then back a bit it's ok for acouple of days. Mounting new seats on the same railes would mean they would squeek too.

Do you have the same problem?

No... have some of the spot welds broken?

As for mounting, there are pics earlier in the thread of the subframes I made, they bolt on top of the rails that you highlighted above, there is a topic in the Mk4 FAQ's on Edition38 of how to pikey mount them, not safe IMO. The seats dont sit flat and the floor is also not flat so it's good fun making the go in.

Got a little further with my induction kit today, going to remve the carbon canister, purge valve and pipes and fit a resistor in the plug. That way I have a straight shot at the front of the drivers side wheel arch. Another cheap mod thats costing a fortune.

So no moving them back and forth ?

Very interested in this... maybe you'll geet some pics when you put them in :rolleyes:

Yes, they'll still slide using the original mk5 runners, as the whole lot is bolted on.

At least I'm pretty sure his are mounted like that, the same as mine.

Aren't there pictures of the subframes a couple of pages back? If not, there might be some of mine in my readers ride thread.

So no moving them back and forth ?

Very interested in this... maybe you'll geet some pics when you put them in :rolleyes:

They are a few pages back in this thread. I had the seats in for a couple of months over the summer.

mk5 > mk6 :shades:

You upgraded then? Common them Mk6 ones. ;)

Yes, they'll still slide using the original mk5 runners, as the whole lot is bolted on.

At least I'm pretty sure his are mounted like that, the same as mine.

Aren't there pictures of the subframes a couple of pages back? If not, there might be some of mine in my readers ride thread.

Exactly.

Ordered some adjustable top mounts and strut brace too. :)

Busy out in the cold this afternoon.....

Removed the carbon canister, purge valve and all the piping to the throttle body, pluged the inlet on the throttle body, rerouted and extended the pipe from the tank towards the bottom of the car out of the way.

IMG_2108e.jpg

Waiting on a resistor now to replace the purge valve, soI don't get the EML on.

Removed the oil breather catch tank to be repositioned, found this(and more) inside...

IMG_2098e.jpg

IMG_2102e.jpg

Removed this stupid level sight tube off the side of the bottle and replaced it with two brass plugs that I had lying around from my MG race engine. :lol:

IMG_2103e.jpg

IMG_2106e.jpg

Removed the airbox and test fitted my new pipe....

IMG_2109e.jpg

IMG_2113e.jpg

IMG_2111e.jpg

Also modified the engine cover to fit back over the top. The pipe work is 316 grade stainless, TIG welded myself, not bad as I've not welded stainless before. Going to leave it a brushed finish, not repolishing it. Hose clips are all to big for my liking so have ordered smaller ones.

Custom brake hoses for my porsche calipers....

IMG_2117e.jpg

Had the tyres taken off my BBS RC's, the paint on them is so bad it comes off with your fingers.....

IMG_2119e.jpg

Got some German style show plates and surrounds, not sure if i totally like them or not?!

IMG_2114e.jpg

Got the week off from work, things to do....

Fit rear stub axle spacers.

Order new NSF ABS sensor.

Modify and refit under tray.

Finish induction set up.

Really good clean.

Strip wheel centres and box wheels ready to be sent away.

Busy on the Lupo all week.

Done the following.....

Cut the undertray in half, cut section out to clear lower tie bar and refit in two pieces.

Removed wheel arch liners, degreased suspension, steering rack, subframe, wheel arches, engine bay, gearbox and jet washed clean.

Cleaned and checked OSF ABS sensor.

Removed EVAP pipe work, trial fitted resistor into witing loom.

Painted and fitted Mk2 version of the short shift I made.

Fitted ANOTHER new starter motor.

Re-located oil catch tank behind the front bumper, fitted K&N breather filter so it's not fed back into the inlet.

Made and fitted mud flaps.

IMG_2205e.jpg

IMG_2207e.jpg

IMG_2206e.jpg

Wont be staying, just for the bad weather, then new arch liners probably.

EVAP purge valve resistor.....

IMG_2218e.jpg

Spent some time changing the bolts in the engine bay to stainless......

IMG_2214e.jpg

Short shift, now adjust able, with added counterweight.

IMG_2210e.jpg

Stubby mirror...

IMG_2226e.jpg

Still got this to fit...

IMG_2229e.jpg

Wheel centres and spares....

IMG_2225e.jpg

Edited by 99hjhm

Busy boy! Good effort with the mud flaps, they look tidy. Where did you get the drivers stubby? ebay.de? I've been after one for a while. :shades:

I think Croakey is selling Stubby Mirrors gets quite a few by the looks of it.

What are you going to do with the mirror as your GTi is using electric and that's manual? Are you just keep it manual?

Mudflaps are pretty cool :shades:

Yep, came from Croakey, totally mint! Going to convert it to electric and fit heated glass.

Is it much work to convert? I'm guessing the motors behind the glass are the same?

Urm... All I know is it's possible. Chris C has done it on his. I have looked on ebay.de for ages, never seen one come up in electric.

Electric mirror mod,

Done this myself a few years ago the only problem you will have with this is the main body of the mirror as GTI are different from standard

I.E you will have to disconnect all wiring and alloy pieces and rebuild as a german left hooker GTI, as the location pin on the door is different on lupo gti. :coffee:

When i did mine, i used one of these Mirror

All i had to do was adjust the frame inside to allow more outwards travel as it is an LHD spec.

Transfered the foam pad from my original mirror and trimmed the plastic on an edge a bit to get it to sit correctly. Works perfectly.

John