Miles...Do they matter?

Picola

It depends a lot on what type of driving the car has done and how its been maintained i would me more likely to

part with money for a high milage car if the person i was getting it from knew a thing or two about mechanics rather than just service stams from

a main dealer. My dads pug 406 was sold with 300k and its still driving around somewhere with at least another 100k on the clock

with derv 100,000 is not much were as on a petrol car it is. I don't know why be derv's are much better at high miles.

you need to find out were most of the miles have been put on, if motorway cruising miles and it has full history and it drives well on a test then go for it. If not give it a damn good test drive if your not happy with somthing walk away. I have seen many sdi's on sale recently so you will find another quite quick.

Only one thing the sdi is about as powerful as the 1.0 it's got more toque though

Ok so now I've ruled out a 1.0 I have a new question.

High miles, does it matter to you?

Y reg Sdi on 110,000. Looks pretty clean for the trek its done. Hmmm

Ours is on 40,000 miles and is just starting to feel run in. Careful with the year of your SDI, pre 2001 will cost nearly £200 a year to tax (its based on engine size), post 2001 are £35 (based on emissions). We like ours, 80 mph cruising and 60 mpg is a nice combination.

Eh? how does that work. I thought the new tax band was on cars after 2001

And nearly 200?

Cars registered from 2001 onwards (check this as it might even be month dependent) are taxed on their emissions. The sdi and the tdi Loop are both under the 120 limit, therefore cost £35 per annum to tax. If you buy an earlier sdi, the taxation is based on engine size and the sdi engine is 1700 cc so will be in the higher of the two bands which is £185 (I think).

Mate of mine just bought an Impreza with over 100k on the clock, bargain price too but yet its completely mint as in looks new. Now I've said that the turbo will blow up but it seems good.

By all accounts these little Loops can last and last if they're cared for properly.

110k is **** all in this day and age. I'm sure if maintained correctly most modern cars should see at least 500k. My mate just bought a S plate Passat TDI with 250k on it.

I reckon if you go from a TDI to a GTI then a SDI. You'll regret it, I'd say if you were going to get another loop at least get a TDI. You might not drive like a maniac but theres nothing more annoying that not being able to over take someone because your cars simply not up to it. Go forwards not backwards :lol:

i think alot of people get put off by high milage cars but like people have said if its been serviced often it should be o.k. but if there were 2cars very similar with one on less miles id go for that one.

that in a diesel is nothing as everyone else has said, diesels are made to run forever, if in doubt go down a local farm yard and ask the farmer to start up his 1920's tractor.

diesels run forever, vw's one's are especially good.

having said that tho, my petrol lupo has jsut passed 90k and despite the problems it had when i bought it, hasn't got anythign else wrong with it that i know of.

my petrol mk1 golf has 190k on it and didn't even need the engine refurb i gave her, did need the gearbox refurb tho.

drive the car slowly, reverse and as fast as possible (do not exceed road limit obvioulsy ;) ) to see how she feels pulling away going slow, round corners, try and fully lock the wheels round corners to make sure no cv problems. don't have music on, but do check it works ;) lol you know the drill, just check there's nothing niggly that might signal an expensive fault, but don't expect to find one, jsut cos it's done alot of miles.

you could always ask to see the v5 to see how many owners its had? ask the owner how far work is, if it's a daily drive, why they're changing car, but the service history should tell you all you need to know about whether it's worth buying.

That mileage would not worry me at all, in a diesel.

Although, you think the 1.0 is too slow, the SDi is about the same, on paper anyway.

Ive not driven an SDi, but ive had a short ride out in one and it was ok, it pulled with very low revs but then nothing, although i recon my 1.0 would easily keep up with the Sdi!

Thing is though, it may feel a little better as you dont need to rev it to go, whereas in a 1.0 you will need to work it more - which is fun!

It depends on what driving you do to, long distances id get the diesel, but for town work i cant fault my 1.0, its so much nicer to drive around town than my TDi.

Why not find a Arosa TDi? Im sure you could find a decent one of those for the price of an ok SDi lupo! ;)

If Seats arnt your thing, then drive an SDi and see what you think, if your getting one, make sure its after 2001, then you will pay £35 a year road tax as you did with your TDi!

I agree with Kam, you will find the 1.0/1.7SDi slow compared to your previous cars.

What hill was that? Maybe the Arosa is the better car after all!

:rolleyes:

And Yes Ray, you know it! :lol:

Well it has service history, is 1450, and is pretty damn clean. Oo and yellow too.

I want my feckin car to just go now,

And Ive learnt that miles dont bother as much as i thought. And I'll just be running it into the ground anyway probs.