Lupo GTI or 106 GTI ?

Arosa_Steve

I've only ever bought german cars, so it would be the loop for me every time.

You have to pay abit more, but you get a far better built motor :)

Edited by vworks41

The 106 will be quicker, more raw and arguabley more fun. However the Lupo is a lot comfier, more refiened, rarer and better specced

Summed up in a sentence :)

Summed up in a sentence :)

Agreed. Nobody else needs to post now, :rolleyes:

Edited by foxy

The 106 will be quicker, more raw and arguabley more fun. However the Lupo is a lot comfier, more refiened, rarer and better specced

about right although my loop has spax lowering springs (coilover often have a detremental effect on the road due to uneven road surface if you want to make quick progress safely) and has g60 brakes and imo will out drive a 106 aswell as being a nicer looking car but to sum it all up;

the 106 is french nuff said

about right although my loop has spax lowering springs (coilover often have a detremental effect on the road due to uneven road surface if you want to make quick progress safely) and has g60 brakes and imo will out drive a 106 aswell as being a nicer looking car but to sum it all up;

the 106 is french nuff said

Agree on the french bit, although its not fair to compare a standard 106 against a modded lupo.

Guest Lauryn

Even though you'll need to pay a bit more for the Lupo it will also hold its value more, and I would say it is probably more reliable than a Pug, so probably best in the long run. Plus its a much better looking car imo too!

The Lupo is good car, as said it's very rare and will get you noticed.

The 106's are very reliable, the usual wear and tear items and there are a LOT of dogs out there.

Personally I would go for a VTS saxo though if thats your choice, I know they are classed as chavvy etc etc but they are so much cheaper than the 106, for the same money as a decent 2000'ish 106 you could have an 03 VTS on 40k miles completely standard. Plus fnding a decent 106 is very lucky, I went to see about 6 before the Lupo came up and I snapped it up, so glad i did though.

Speed wise, I had a race from 30-90ish on my private road with a VTS (same as a 106 gti speed wise as im sure you know), the VTS has an exhaust, and there was pretty much nothing in it at all, however there are a lot of dog rough ones, as well as well maintained very quick ones!

Fun wise a 106/saxo will wipe the floor with a GTi in my opinion, so much more exciting on the edge, but that is down to the GTi being a much better built car, it's a lot more refined.

Hope that helps?!

That is a great way to put it.

Drive both, see what you think, it depends what your wanting, i bet the 106 is a better drive then a GTi, both in standard form.

I never understand this thing with french cars having bad reliability rep, have any of you people even owned one :huh:

Our french cars have much less hassle than our German ones. Id avoid italian cars though :lol:

Personally I would go for a VTS saxo though if thats your choice, I know they are classed as chavvy etc etc but they are so much cheaper than the 106, for the same money as a decent 2000'ish 106 you could have an 03 VTS on 40k miles completely standard. Plus fnding a decent 106 is very lucky, I went to see about 6 before the Lupo came up and I snapped it up, so glad i did though.

I agree, i much prefer the saxo, it looks far more solid and has a nicer dash imo.

Stuff the chavvy rep, it shouldnt make you miss out on a great car.

Drive both, see what you think, it depends what your wanting, i bet the 106 is a better drive then a GTi, both in standard form.

I never understand this thing with french cars having bad reliability rep, have any of you people even owned one :huh:

Our french cars have much less hassle than our German ones. Id avoid italian cars though :lol:

mate has a renault sport clio 172 and its never missed a beat despite having 120k on the clock :o so yeh id agree with you there

but . . .

as for italian cars. yeh ive seen a million and one dead puntos on the side of roads dead, but personally my little sporting never let me down over the 3 years i owned it! i stand by the fact, if you look after the car, the car looks after you B)

Edited by elliecjno1

Apparently not...

In all the bloomin :blink: 8 years now! the saxo my uncle bought brand new in 2000 has never missed a beat, has always been serviced on time and normally, the only 2 things that have had to be replaced "abnormally" in these 8 years... one headlight and one brake light sensor... oh and possibly the exhaust if thats abnormal :coffee:

My mate has had a 1999 volkswagen lupo inces around october and has already lost count of how many things hes had done...

gearbox, pedalbox, Some re-wiring? :blink: , 1 brake calliper, 2 rear drum assemblies, etc, etc and it was low mileage when he got it.. 47k i think?

And he *cough* his dad paid £1200 for it as he works at a main dealer... His dad told him not to get it but he wanted it :coffee:

i do like the look of the lupo's the only real thing that was putting me off was the size of the boot as i have been told it is the same as mine (97 Arosa)

thanks For the reply's fokes, think i will hang on a while and see if i can find a nice lupo but could be about march time tho before i can get insured on one :D

Yup, the boot is the same size. The only way it differes inside from your Mk1 is a newer dash from the newer polo and nice seats.

Apparently not...

In all the bloomin :blink: 8 years now! the saxo my uncle bought brand new in 2000 has never missed a beat, has always been serviced on time and normally, the only 2 things that have had to be replaced "abnormally" in these 8 years... one headlight and one brake light sensor... oh and possibly the exhaust if thats abnormal :coffee:

Yup, i agree, saxos do seem really reliable. We had one from new (2001) It was my sisters car, she had it for 6 years and 70K. Only thing to go wrong was the coil pack and a window motor (both when it was under warranty). That was it! Other than the usual wear items (one exhaust, 2 sets of pads and discs and 3 pairs of front tyres). So reliable and handled much better than lupos and arosas do as standard.

Edited by cardaft

on paper there isnt much between them performance wise except for the afformentioned kit etc. if i was in your shoes it would be a very difficult decision indeed. if you want something reliable, fast and different the lupo will win however if your buying a gti for a simple thrashing car the 106 makes more sense. they handle like the stigs wet dreams and because theyre from the psa group parts are easy to find, cheap and available plus you have the legendary (for the wrong reasons) saxo to nick kit off should u ever want to.

I was thinking exactly the same thing as you 'cept i was looking at a rallye with a gti engine. i was swayed towards the lupo because theyre rarer. theyve got an ali front end so the weight distribution is really good and theyre pretty bomb proof amongst other things. my previous car was a 106 and while it had fantastic handling (after some small tweaks to the sus and subframes)i really miss it and it was a 1.1!!!!! oh and it was more practical than the lupo.

i love the lupo (within reason lol) but i still wish i had a 106 to hoon around in and not care about it. then youve got to look at the reliability, strength, ease of use etc. the 106 was never a strong car at the best of times and it's much more vulnerable to reliabilty issues. but like ive allready said parts are cheap and theyre so simple to work on. You'll soon find youself though spending as much money keeping the 106 going and protecting it from theives (as they are quite desirable cars), that you may as well of bought a lupo in the first place

Finally if you will be making the most of the gti badge when something goes wrong or you make a mistake where would you rather be when about to crash into something an easy 4star ncap car or one which just managed 2-3