Confused on keeping GTi...

Pepsi

Right, I've come to a 2002 Lupo Gti from a 04 1.2 16v clio that I had for a little over 2 years.

The Lupo seemed like evrything I wanted, quick, looks awesome, xenons, aircon, leather, rarity, ability to turn heads etc etc, I have fitted some Weitec coilovers too and it looks mint. However, it is nowhere near as much fun as my Clio used to be, yes it is faster, better built, arguably looks better depending on my mood...but handles nowhere near as good. Lupo on Weitecs and Clio on some cheapo -60mm springs and there is no contest between the 2, the clio will carry so much more speed through bends.

I was set on a 2.0 clio, but then the Lupo came up at a good price so I went for it, although now I'm thinking should I sell up and buy a Renaultsport Clio...I'm gonna give the Lupo a few months whilst I save up some more cash and pay off my overdraft, but I can't help thinking it won't grow on me as much as I hoped.

Any opinions etc?!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the fact you're used to driving the clio rather than the lupo. Its heavier at the front than a 1.2 would be so you need to be driving it differently obviously! I can make the same journey cross country in the GTi FAR quicker than in my old arosa which was on coilies aswell, but it doesnt seem it. Less frantic and on the edge maybe?

Right, I've come to a 2002 Lupo Gti from a 04 1.2 16v clio that I had for a little over 2 years.

The Lupo seemed like evrything I wanted, quick, looks awesome, xenons, aircon, leather, rarity, ability to turn heads etc etc, I have fitted some Weitec coilovers too and it looks mint. However, it is nowhere near as much fun as my Clio used to be, yes it is faster, better built, arguably looks better depending on my mood...but handles nowhere near as good. Lupo on Weitecs and Clio on some cheapo -60mm springs and there is no contest between the 2, the clio will carry so much more speed through bends.

I was set on a 2.0 clio, but then the Lupo came up at a good price so I went for it, although now I'm thinking should I sell up and buy a Renaultsport Clio...I'm gonna give the Lupo a few months whilst I save up some more cash and pay off my overdraft, but I can't help thinking it won't grow on me as much as I hoped.

Any opinions etc?!

The lupo Gti is not a quick car. IMO... far too soft out the box. What you are getting is a very well built warm hatch with the added bonus of it being very rare.. Why do you want to race around corners flatout? to me sounds like you might be a bit of a boy racer, maybe get rid of it for a clio and park that in a hedge? my 2 pence.

Putney - I'm far form a boy racer, There are a few country roads near me that I sometimes have a play down, and the Lupo is not the better car of the 2.

Also, I want to do a few track days this year, and the Lupo isn;t that car for that. Especially with the leather being slippy around corners.

I do love the car all round, but it just doesnt put the smile on my face when driving that the Clio did. I know they are different cars and need driving differently, but as said it's a well built hatch, not a play toy.

To be honest I'm thinking maybe about a 172 cup, going to check my insurance tomorrow.

So get rid of it then and buy a caterham.

fun to drive, quicker than a gti. good for track days

i had a vts before i had my lupo sport and lupo gti. out of the 11 cars i've owned nothing has been as much fun as the vts, and i've owned a fair few quick cars.

i recon a mini cooper s would be a good compromise.

the mini handles amazingly, but is also more grown up.

Edited by Adam K

i had a vts before i had my lupo sport and lupo gti. out of the 11 cars i've owned nothing has been as much fun as the vts, and i've owned a fair few quick cars.

i recon a mini cooper s would be a good compromise.

the mini handles amazingly, but is also more grown up.

I have been thinking about a VTS/106 GTi, but to be honest I need aircon in my next car, unless i find a mint 172 cup without aircon.

I can't afford a mini, nor would I ever own one, think they are terrible, and although good handling they are pointless! Tiny inside, drink fuel and terrible looks, in my opinion!

I'm not after a grown up car though, i want a fun car that wont be poo in track but is useable everyday....Clio Sport it is then!!

I have been thinking about a VTS/106 GTi, but to be honest I need aircon in my next car, unless i find a mint 172 cup without aircon.

I can't afford a mini, nor would I ever own one, think they are terrible, and although good handling they are pointless! Tiny inside, drink fuel and terrible looks, in my opinion!

I'm not after a grown up car though, i want a fun car that wont be poo in track but is useable everyday....Clio Sport it is then!!

I had a loan of my work's 1.2 Clio for almost 2 weeks when my Lupo was busted up after an accident and in for repairs. I also learned in a Clio and liked it a lot so it wasn't that unfamiliar to me. Other than a very brief spell in new last gen Corsa these are the only cars I've driven.

Being the work's car I wasn't too wild with it because if I'd have had an accident I'd never have been able to live it down but at the same time I was more willing to rag it more often than I normally would my Lupo... basically I treated it like some would a hire car! I don't consider myself a boy racer either, in generally far to sensible, I act like an old man sometimes.

Well, the first thing of note was that the Clio had all the mod-cons that I'm not used to with my very basic Lupo. You'll have to excuse me as I don't know all the correct acronyms...

Clio

1.2l, electric windows, remote central locking, power steering, ABS, Cassette/Radio (but I used an FM transmitter to connect my phone and play MP3s that way and also take calls through the car stereo). Only 12k on the clock.

Lupo

1.F-all. Electric nothing. Wind assisted steering (if you get it going the right direction). Seats that had been sat in for over 60k at the time. A Clarion MP3 CD player is my only "luxury".

So the Clio was much better kitted out, more modern, had done way less miles and had a bigger, newer engine that had been well serviced on the work's lease contract. It was also obviously much more refined than Lupo on the Motorway (I keep the Lupo to around 60 on the Motorway or it just gets too loud plus I like to conserve fuel a bit these days).

Sure the Clio was obviously faster and more refined. But outright fun? The Lupo would win it every time for me. I can only dream of how good a Gti would be. I'd rather have a Clio over my basic Lupo now simply for the mod-cons but at the same time I'd rather have a nice 1.4 Sport or TDI or something above the Clio. But as someone else suggested above, maybe that's just because I'm more used to the Lupo. I felt I knew its "limits" a bit better than the Lupo. I did get a chance to drive the Clio down my favourite back road a few times so it had its chance to shine.

That's just my 2p based on personal experience.

Edited by Jordan

I had a loan of my work's 1.2 Clio for almost 2 weeks when my Lupo was busted up after an accident and in for repairs. I also learned in a Clio and liked it a lot so it wasn't that unfamiliar to me. Other than a very brief spell in new last gen Corsa these are the only cars I've driven.

Being the work's car I wasn't too wild with it because if I'd have had an accident I'd never have been able to live it down but at the same time I was more willing to rag it more often than I normally would my Lupo... basically I treated it like some would a hire car! I don't consider myself a boy racer either, in generally far to sensible, I act like an old man sometimes.

Well, the first thing of note was that the Clio had all the mod-cons that I'm not used to with my very basic Lupo. You'll have to excuse me as I don't know all the correct acronyms...

Clio

1.2l, electric windows, remote central locking, power steering, ABS, Cassette/Radio (but I used an FM transmitter to connect my phone and play MP3s that way and also take calls through the car stereo). Only 12k on the clock.

Lupo

1.F-all. Electric nothing. Wind assisted steering (if you get it going the right direction). Seats that had been sat in for over 60k at the time. A Clarion MP3 CD player is my only "luxury".

So the Clio was much better kitted out, more modern, had done way less miles and had a bigger, newer engine that had been well serviced on the work's lease contract. It was also obviously much more refined than Lupo on the Motorway (I keep the Lupo to around 60 on the Motorway or it just gets too loud plus I like to conserve fuel a bit these days).

Sure the Clio was obviously faster and more refined. But outright fun? The Lupo would win it every time for me. I can only dream of how good a Gti would be. I'd rather have a Clio over my basic Lupo now simply for the mod-cons but at the same time I'd rather have a nice 1.4 Sport or TDI or something above the Clio. But as someone else suggested above, maybe that's just because I'm more used to the Lupo. I felt I knew its "limits" a bit better than the Lupo. I did get a chance to drive the Clio down my favourite back road a few times so it had its chance to shine.

That's just my 2p based on personal experience.

anyone else fall asleep through that? zzzz

mate all base model cars are not designed to be thrashed around like a race car.... They have poo tires, poo brakes.

a clio cup is a great little car for ragging... fast agile...... i didn't like the seating postion or the shitty pedals.... quite quick when you got the revs up though....

personally i would rather a nice lupo gti and drive it sensibly....

anyone else fall asleep through that? zzzz

Geez you put a bit of time and effort in and that's the response you get :rolleyes:

Anyway, it wasn't intended for you and hopefully the OP will appreciate it a little more. No one is forcing you to read it.

Yes, I realise the massive differences between the 1.0 and the Gti but the OP was comparing a 1.2 Clio, which I have driven, to the Gti! Like I said, my 2p and that's all it was.

I have myself a bit of fun trying to get any decent speed out of a smaller engined car and trying to keep maintain the speed so I don't have to go through the pain of accelerating again. It's what us people who can't afford the costs, insurance or petrol of a higher performance car do.

Edited by Jordan

I have myself a bit of fun trying to get any decent speed out of a smaller engined car and trying to keep maintain the speed so I don't have to go through the pain of accelerating again. It's what us people who can't afford the costs, insurance or petrol of a higher performance car do.

So basicly your saying that you dont drive properly and more importantly you drive dangerously :rolleyes:

I have a GTI on coilovers and can say that it handles plenty good enough for the small amount of power that it has, But if you'd rather have a Clio/Saxo then fair doos.

So basicly your saying that you dont drive properly and more importantly you drive dangerously :rolleyes:

That's not what I was implying.

Sorry.

Never mind, I won't bother posting again if this is what the reception's like from the regulars round here...

So to sum this thread up in a few lines:

1) If you dont like your GTi, sell it!

2) You wont get better performance/handling for your dosh than a vts/106, but with the downside you will then be a saxo owner.

3) If its a track car you wanted, a lupo isnt what you should have bought in the 1st place!

The end.

what tyres do you have pepsi when i first bought mine it had ditchfinders and the handling was shocking i kept them on for 2 weeks until i got paid and binned em near enough new the tyres are the biggest effect on the handling of a car way more than suspension etc mine has yokohama s-drives the best tyre available in the correct size imo and is lowered 60 on spax springs and it handles wicked i've done two trackdays so far and on both was cornering faster than clio 182's and also a cooper s but i think it isn't exactly a fair comparison as some drivers are more committed than others i'd say try another tyre if yours aren't any good where abouts do you live your welcome to join me on my next trackday if ya fancy doing one it wont be until start of july though as i have spent this months trackmoney on lemans

I think you were expecting a clio like car buying the loop, i say sell up and buy the car you were expecting. I also like the clio forums, iv got a friend who drives a dci and it actually handles like poo, i dont know what these clio boys talk about! Im sure the renault sport cars handle well but a 1.2 clio? really? It sounds to me like you just need to get more used to the way of the lupo and find the limits, because on coilies if set up well it should handle really well, and be a fun car to drive.

Smaller cars can be more fun as you can drive them absolutley on the limit, and you can still bail out if you make a mistake and slam the brakes on - you wont be going fast enough to be unable to recover it. With a more powerful car you have to be more reserved, as if you make a mistake then you may well end up in a hedge.

I had an ex in Uni who had a 1.2 Clio (the Mk3? the version that the 172 Cup/182/Trophy was based) and other than the dodgy electric steering I always thought it was a good laugh of a car. VW snobs are quick to slate French cars, but I always liked it. Can a 1.2 take more speed than a GTI through bends? Hard to say, but in my experience not. That has more to do with how well you know the car and if, as you say, you haven't bonded with it its no surprise you are not comfortable with it.

Personally I think the first generation Cooper S is a good mix of sensible and fun, somewhere between the GTI and something like a 172/182, hardly a pointless car at all.

If your not happy, sell, no point spending money on something if you don't like it. Plenty of used 172/182's around, and they are fantastic machines.

MY Clio was lowered 60mm on some springs, and without a doubt is beter than the Gti.

Jordan I appreciate your response, I see what you mean.

It's only recently I have thought about getting on track, and the lupo came up and I like it so I went for it, then I've decided it's not the car for me.

Adam, pm me if you want anymore info on the car.

It's done 47k

FVWSH - EVERYTHING has been done at VW from new.

LEather with heated front seats

Aircon

Upgrade stereo

4 brand new Michellin PE2 tyres

Anthracite - rare colour

Awesome little car, I'll probably sell without the Weitecs unless a buyer specifies they want them, so if anyone is interested drop me a pm about the car or coils.

^he does speak the truth lowering your car too much does make it understeer like a pig, my car did handle better when it was probably around 60mm down, but i love being low. :shades: