Confused on keeping GTi...

Pepsi

Thanks for the sensible replies.

I wanted it for the right reasons, a nice well built and specced nippy car, but since havign it I've had the urge for track use and the car just isn't made for it. The worst thing is the leather, it just doesnt hold you in place so im constantly hitting the door on left handers!

It isn't stupidly low on the coils, been pro set up and has -1.5 degree neg. camber, so it should handle well. It does handle well, but it's just not as fun as my old clio, and as a 172 will be. It's hard to explain.

Personally I think it is one of the best in the country, for condition, spec and how well it has been looked after (excluding the coils and full tyres I have put on the car I have over £3k in servicing, MOT and consumables reciepts). So I don't want to ruin it. The toys are great but it's not the kind of thing to keep me in a car, I want the smile factor everytime I drive it. the Lupo gets attention which I love, but is just missing something.

Civic Type R FTW...

Great handling.... great engine... great seats..... wont go bang like the clio

oh and how much is the Lupo worth?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't justify the running costs of a CTR on top of the Clio though. Plus insurance is a fair wack, I'm only 19!

I think I'm after a 182 trophy now, I'm gonna keep the Lupo for another few months while I save up another few K towards it.

The car is advertised at the minute for £7.3k, it's up on piston heads if you want to have a look, any questions feel free to email, pm or phone.

Can't justify the running costs of a CTR on top of the Clio though. Plus insurance is a fair wack, I'm only 19!

I think I'm after a 182 trophy now, I'm gonna keep the Lupo for another few months while I save up another few K towards it.

The car is advertised at the minute for £7.3k, it's up on piston heads if you want to have a look, any questions feel free to email, pm or phone.

Hang on a clio must be the same insurance group as the civic? The running costs are damn all on honda's... Thats what tempted me back to another S2000.... cheap labour.....

Hang on a clio must be the same insurance group as the civic? The running costs are damn all on honda's... Thats what tempted me back to another S2000.... cheap labour.....

They are, but a CTR is a good £500 more insurance, plus it will use more fuel etc.

The insurance doesnt make sense, but then again it never does!

I just have a soft spot for clio's, I know a fair bit about them, love the way they look and drive etc, just good all round cars.

They are, but a CTR is a good £500 more insurance, plus it will use more fuel etc.

The insurance doesnt make sense, but then again it never does!

I just have a soft spot for clio's, I know a fair bit about them, love the way they look and drive etc, just good all round cars.

They are both 2.0 litre engines... the fuel will be if anything lower on the typre r as all the power is high up in the rev range....

I have the petrol costs of 140bhp 2.0litre engine till it hits 5750rpm..... then it gets thirsty.... So normal driving returns great fuel economy.... The same is true with the civic and the integra.... I would be suprised if it costs that much more... I think you are getting a lot more car for the money though....

I see what you are saying, but the Clio's can get 35mpg easy when driven sensibly.

Although pretty soon whatever car I have won't be a daily driver so I suppose fuel costs aren;t a big concern...

I'll look in more detail when I have some more cash, but I can't see one being worth £500ish more on insurance, there is no way I'm paying over £2k for insurance!

Car looks great.... TBH from reading your add you seem to spend a lot of money on keeping your car in tip top condition.. Whats £500 more on insurance when you can afford to get your tires repaced at a VW garage! ha ha ha

I see what you are saying, but the Clio's can get 35mpg easy when driven sensibly.

Although pretty soon whatever car I have won't be a daily driver so I suppose fuel costs aren;t a big concern...

I'll look in more detail when I have some more cash, but I can't see one being worth £500ish more on insurance, there is no way I'm paying over £2k for insurance!

I have seen 320 miles on a tank of £45 on the S... I get the same mileage on £60 on the old VW!

Jez how much do you pay insurance now on the lupo? whats the Clio going to be? whats the insurance price for the Type R? if you want fuel economy, handling and performance you can't go wrong with a Ibiza cupra... The 1.9 TDI is rapid... The SEAT performance brakes are amasing and its got great suspension... I had one for a weekend.... I think they look great out the box.. especialy in dark grey or black.. They are easily modded....

Edited by Putney

These are worth a look too... 18k new! rare... this one looks in great shape...

Clicky only £6k!

But this is the one I had for the weekend...

Clicky.. £7500

Edited by Putney

Car looks great.... TBH from reading your add you seem to spend a lot of money on keeping your car in tip top condition.. Whats £500 more on insurance when you can afford to get your tires repaced at a VW garage! ha ha ha

Haha, I haven't had tyres replaced there, the previous owners had!

I put the PE2's on at Costco!

It's more the principal of it to be honest, I like to have a nice car, I work 7 days a week for my money, so I have no problems with spending a bit of money keeping the car looking clean and tidy, but insurance is a killer for me, especially being 19! With that £500 I could get some 4 pot brakes for a trophy! Plus there are marginal difference between a CTR and 172/182, all down to the driver. And for the money I would be getting a 2-3 years newer car, with lower miles and looked after by a real petrol head.

I'll keep my mind open for when I do sell the Lupo, but I have a feeling a CTR will put me in a siilar situation as the Lupo.

Haha, I haven't had tyres replaced there, the previous owners had!

I put the PE2's on at Costco!

It's more the principal of it to be honest, I like to have a nice car, I work 7 days a week for my money, so I have no problems with spending a bit of money keeping the car looking clean and tidy, but insurance is a killer for me, especially being 19! With that £500 I could get some 4 pot brakes for a trophy! Plus there are marginal difference between a CTR and 172/182, all down to the driver. And for the money I would be getting a 2-3 years newer car, with lower miles and looked after by a real petrol head.

I'll keep my mind open for when I do sell the Lupo, but I have a feeling a CTR will put me in a siilar situation as the Lupo.

i must add.. maybe drive all of the above cars back to back.....

The Civic Engine is the best out of all of them... The Cupra 160bhp 1.9TDi would be my choice gonig on your age and fuel requirements..... The clio would I have to say be at the lower end of the list...

The petrol cupra's are thirsty on petrol... Thats why i rate the cupra oil burner... My mate had left it at mine the weekend... It had 53mpg on the trip computer when he dropped it off... it was great on fuel...

I have seen 320 miles on a tank of £45 on the S... I get the same mileage on £60 on the old VW!

Jez how much do you pay insurance now on the lupo? whats the Clio going to be? whats the insurance price for the Type R? if you want fuel economy, handling and performance you can't go wrong with a Ibiza cupra... The 1.9 TDI is rapid... The SEAT performance breaks are amasing and its got great suspension... I had one for a weekend.... I think they look great out the box.. especialy in dark grey or black.. They are easily modded....

That is actually awesome economy, I'm shocked!!

The Lupo is £1300 on a modified policy, 172/182 about £1700, and a CTR well over £2k.

I'm pretty picky with my options:

Hatch

3 door

Petrol

7 - 8 secs to 60

Looks cool

Under £8k

Low miles

As new as poss

Handles well out of the box is poss, if not something that can be suited with mods

i must add.. maybe drive all of the above cars back to back.....

The Civic Engine is the best out of all of them... The Cupra 160bhp 1.9TDi would be my choice gonig on your age and fuel requirements..... The clio would I have to say be at the lower end of the list...

The petrol cupra's are thirsty on petrol... Thats why i rate the cupra oil burner... My mate had left it at mine the weekend... It had 53mpg on the trip computer when he dropped it off... it was great on fuel...

How do you mean fuel requirements? I shouldnt be bringing mpg into it really as I don't do mega miles. I definately don't want a diesel.

Surely the Ibiza will be similar to the Lupo in terms of drive involvment etc?

How do you mean fuel requirements? I shouldnt be bringing mpg into it really as I don't do mega miles. I definately don't want a diesel.

Surely the Ibiza will be similar to the Lupo in terms of drive involvment etc?

Nope... The cupra is much much better chassis than the lupo... It also has 35bhp more than the Lupo and a poo load more torque.. Almost the same amount as a porsche boxster s i think?..... the brakes are probably the best on any small hot hatch tbh......You got to try both the petrol and the oil burner.... I liked the 1.9tdi better than the petrol.. I owned a Leon cupra R with 225bhp.... which had the same 1800cc turbo engine. albeit in a high state of tune... But the 1.9tdi had so much torque it was addictive.... also the 1.8turbo is quite thirst on fuel......

the other thing to consider is the SEAT is german build engine wise.. Plus if you chip it and have the on off map that would work really well for your track days.... I think the chip works by flashing the ECU a new engine map... Then when you want it back to normal you flash it with the old map and back to the more eco mode....

Nope... The cupra is much much better chassis than the lupo... It also has 35bhp more than the Lupo and a poo load more torque.. Almost the same amount as a porsche boxster s i think?..... the brakes are probably the best on any small hot hatch tbh......You got to try both the petrol and the oil burner.... I liked the 1.9tdi better than the petrol.. I owned a Leon cupra R with 225bhp.... which had the same 1800cc turbo engine. albeit in a high state of tune... But the 1.9tdi had so much torque it was addictive.... also the 1.8turbo is quite thirst on fuel......

the other thing to consider is the SEAT is german build engine wise.. Plus if you chip it and have the on off map that would work really well for your track days.... I think the chip works by flashing the ECU a new engine map... Then when you want it back to normal you flash it with the old map and back to the more eco mode....

I only mention the fuel requirements.... as an added bonus.... if you want to get 15mpg then fair play!

Yeah I see your points, although I have vowed many times to not ever own a diesel.

When I leave my current job, hopefully in 6 months time fuel will not be a problem as I'll have a company van for work, so the car will be purely for weekends so fuel won't be an issue.

I'll go for a drive in every car I can think of to see which suits me best, CTR would be mint but for the money I have I don't think it will be as good as my standards want!

The nice thing about the Cupra is you get a choice of both petrol and diesel..... They have the same BHP i think?

This clio looks like your cup of t.. Price and power wise its good

418890-1.jpg

Clicky

Nice honda in your price tag here...

508613-5.jpg

Clicky

Edited by Putney

That morego is a nice car, heard a few good things about those conversions.

On another subject, do you think the Lupo is well priced? I think it reflects the condition, as it truely is an awesome car.

Edit, CTR is very nice too!

Edited by Pepsi

Mate I think you have to ask a person more into lupo's... the lupo was 6 or 7 years a go for me... maybe more.. jez...... damn i am getting old!

shame you don't have 1k more.... get you in one of these..... great drivers car.... but insurance would be steep.....

Clicky

forget this one... on v car.... opps

Edited by Putney

Not a big fan of the 206...never even heard of Longman, love the idea of ITB's though!

Fair does, just thought I'd ask the question!

Anyways, time for some sleep, got an early start again!

Appreciate the help, I'll keep all my options open!!

shame you don't have 1k more.... get you in one of these..... great drivers car.... but insurance would be steep.....

Clicky

Yeah, already checked for these and VX220's, insurance is about £3.5k :(

I do love the car all round, but it just doesnt put the smile on my face when driving that the Clio did. I know they are different cars and need driving differently, but as said it's a well built hatch, not a play toy.

you dont deserve to have a lupo. that car could put a smile on anyones face. theres a guy on here who has a db9 aswell as a Gti and he bloody loves it.

imo u shud get a cliosport and give the Gti to sum1 who will enjoy it!