Corsa VXR

Putney

Im sorry, this thread is about warm/hot hatch backs.

Oil burners can not be classed in this catagory.

Skoda Fabia VRs? I would consider that a warm hatch. Excellent driving position, fairly quick, lots of tuning potential, handles ok (but can be made a LOT better with cheap mods) and cheap to run. Like a grown up's warm hatch. :lol:

My choice would still be a used Audi S3. The money saved will counter the running costs and it's a helluva lot more car for the money! I know I couldn't justify spending 5 figures on most cars mentioned above, not when you pick up things like S3s and LCRs for less than 10k.

Edited by LiamD

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm throwing the AX GT (not GTi) and 106 Gti/Saxo VTS into the mix here. All cheap, all flimsy, all ****mobiles, but crucially all entertaining.

all probably great fun, but not currently in production :lol:

renaultsporttwingo.jpg

Next year i'm getting one of these as they are going into production as my renault twingo newsletter states

Small agile car, with a 1.6 engine running 133bhp its not shy and definetly won't be when i have my mitts around one :P

However if i cannot afford one of these i will definetly get my mitts around its little brother the 100bhp 1.2 GT :)

either way im going to get one and make it a real weapon :D

can't wait

all probably great fun, but not currently in production :lol:

What do you mean, :lol: ? The threads about little hot hatches, nothing was mentioned about 'in production' :coffee:

To add to the old hot hatches, I'm adding the Lotus Sunbeam and Chevette HSR!

Skoda Fabia VRs? I would consider that a warm hatch. Excellent driving position, fairly quick, lots of tuning potential, handles ok (but can be made a LOT better with cheap mods) and cheap to run. Like a grown up's warm hatch.

Nope.

Its not a B-Road blaster.

Designed to go quickly between service stations!

To date, imo there are no oil burnering luke warm hatches.

Didn't the Fabia VRS go round the track on Top Gear quicker than a Mini Cooper? Surely thats gotta be accountable somewhere.

I think Vauxhalls market is boy racers all round tbh. If you look at there 'fast' range there just stupidly powerful and garishly designed. No real thought has gone into any other area cause the kind of people who buy them don't really care. All that matters to them is how much bhp its got and how many bits of jewelery its wearing.

I mean that GSI people carrier. I'd be bloomin' well embarrassed if my dad had one of those!!

Didn't the Fabia VRS go round the track on Top Gear quicker than a Mini Cooper? Surely thats gotta be accountable somewhere.

Not really.

It was only a Cooper, and the Top Gear track is not really best suited to show off nimble hatch backs, its designed to drive supercars very quickly.

Most of the track has curves rather than bends.

The Cooper was much quicker than the VRS through the bends, but the VRS made up that time and overtook the Cooper on the straights.

The Cooper was much quicker than the VRS through the bends, but the VRS made up that time and overtook the Cooper on the straights.

Exactly my point.

Motorway Cruiser.

oooh, Ive missed hateing Diesal powered 'Sporty' cars.

To be a hot hatch, a diesel runs out of puff far too quickly, by the time the decent power comes on, its time to change gear.

I think Vauxhalls market is boy racers all round tbh. If you look at there 'fast' range there just stupidly powerful and garishly designed. No real thought has gone into any other area cause the kind of people who buy them don't really care. All that matters to them is how much bhp its got and how many bits of jewelery its wearing.

I mean that GSI people carrier. I'd be bloomin' well embarrassed if my dad had one of those!!

zafira gsi? love them!!

Uno Turbo,

R5 Turbos in all their guises (Gordini, Alpine, GT and Maxi :wub: ),

My old Metro Turbo (I'm getting desperate now),

Cossy beating Maestro Turbo,

I'm giving up now that I've hit rock bottom!

Nope, found another, a Mira TR-XX

spaceball.gif

Edited by IDGM

Cossy beating Maestro Turbo,

I had a 2.0i and then a Turbo, both 12-18 months old

Of everything I've sold and traded in in my life the turbo was the one I regret the most

You could only hang with cossies until about 110 indicated though

Aaah the good old days, when cars didn't need 150bhp to haul their fat asses to 60 in under 10 secs

Edited by twisty b-road

The fabia also has 17 bhp more than the cooper anyway at 113bhp with the fabia at 130. .

Its interesting that nobody, I think, has mentioned the latest Civic Type R at all.

On paper its seems great, 20k gets you a fully specced one, I think it looks pretty good (although thats pretty personal) and its presumably well built. I quite like the wacky dash too, nice comfy steering wheel and decent seats.

However all the magazine reviews are borderline terrible, with the exception of Performance Car and select Autocar staffers who like their long term cars. Would be curious to see what they are like, never drove the old one either.

For a little more (with haggling) you could get a *real* Type-R in the form of the FD2 CTR. Not only does it look better, but its actually deserving of the badge.

Thing is, Honda seem to be aware that the majority of the potential hot-hatch buyers in the UK are very superficial. If its fast and it looks good, it'll sell in droves. Doesn't matter if its got LSD and a chassis that could set the world on fire, being able to "do people over" at the TLGP and looking good while your picking up girls at MaccyD's is top of the shopping list.

anyone a fan of the 106 rallye? We've had a few 16v conversions.

got a project car atm (talking of hot hatches) a Mk1 Golf 2ltr Gti *remembers i haven't yet put a WIP post up...

Edited by Anna