Corsa VXR

Putney

Probably my favourite little hot hat at the moment....

Seen a few in the last week... I also like the Clio sport styling...

Whats your favourite little hot hatch at the moment?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Citroen C2's are looking quite good at the mo! Vtr's and Vts's especially!

My mates got a c2 code which is upgrade to the vts. its got a couple subtle stripes on the roof and really nice tan leather interior. v nice indeed

I actually really can't get into the looks of the Corsa VXR, just doesn't flick my switch.

The Clio 197 has grown on me looks wise at least, its very subtle but I've grown to appreciate it.

Think my favourite is still the Megane R26 or 225, that would be what I'd buy if I was looking for a new hot hatch.

As a slower alternative, I'm quite a fan of the RenaultSport Twingo too.

I like what the Corsa does, just not the looks. A bit to OTT for my liking.

The Clio hotties look better. Polo GTi too.

Ray

PS I did like the C2 GT special edition, but that's no longer an option.

Edited by Silver!

My favourite is the Clio 197, its smooth, quite subtle, as it has the black tailpipes, but its got just enough styling to show that it is a hot hatch. I just don't like the Corsa VXR, it looks a bit cheap and tacky, as the kit looks stuck on, i'm really not a fan of the triangular exhaust either.

I'm not ashamed to say that I like the Corsa VXR styling. I had a gander at one last September and it seemed pretty well screwed together, the front seats looked pretty tasty. I also like the look of the Clio 197 in some colours, but not others - pale blue metallic isn't cool.

Overall though, my fave hot hatch at the mo' is the Leon Cupra K1 in white with black alloys. However, if a white M-Sport BMW 335d Touring counted as a hatchback, it would be that.

Edited by IDGM

I'm not ashamed to say that I like the Corsa VXR styling.

I agree, always find myself changing my direction when I see one and want a longer look.

Great looking car while on the move.

I reserve my right to change the following opinion when the Fiat 500 Abarth hits the roads, I haven't been so excited about a car since the Lupo GTI was launched, so all of the following might change when that comes out early next year.

The Golf GTI still has the subtle looks, there might be millions of the things but I can't help but love it.

197 (and all the variants of) is probably still my current favorite and one that I keep coming back to now there are plenty of used ones knocking about. The F1 was a great spec car, worth it for the standard fitment of those tasty Recaro's alone. There is currently a black 57 plate with 9k on the clock for £13,500. Bargain. I so almost bought a 197, the closest I've come to swapping my car in some time, but I resisted and although I know I'd have loved it I'm kind of glad I held off.

The Corsa I can't help but admire and always find myself taking a good gawp at when I see one, but would never buy one myself , just too OTT for me. Gotta love it though, its got spirit with its loud bodykit and triangular exhausts! See quite a few around the Midlands and I think it looks great in that metallic blue they do. Standard Recaro's again, brilliant.

I've said it before but I love how much choice is out there right now, especially just around the 10k bracket. Twingo GT, Panda 100HP, Swift Sport, all quality little hatches. When Sarah went car shopping last year there was no excuse to go for something dull as there is interesting stuff about, even new. The Panda is a future classic, despite the choppy ride, ours now has 10k on the clock and is just brilliant.

Fiesta ST is another hit, so many used ones about and with the performance upgrades Ford have sanctioned you can now get it upto 185 without much trouble. Buy a used car for as little as possible, whack in those upgrades and thats one hell of a car for the money. Perfect little track hatch if thats your persuasion.

The BMW 130i MSport is another good used buy. If you can live with the fuel and insurance that is a quick way of getting about, they are astronomical new but the used market has not been kind and its a stealth way of getting about rather fast.

I have somewhat of a soft spot for the Polo GTI, but as perfectly reasonable as it is the market is just too competitive. Its a good everyday car though, similar appeal of the Lupo GTI, it'll do everything pretty well. A 197 or a Corsa VXR would utterly destroy it in every way for driver involvement, but when your sitting in a traffic jam in the rain on a weekday morning you'd be glad of the Polo's more cosseting character I think. Still wouldn't buy one though, it doesn't have the magic sparkle of even the Lupo or something like a 197, its just a very reasonable hatch.

I'm looking forward to the Punto Abarth making its first UK appearances in the next couple of months, early reviews have been positive.

I know this won't be popular, but the one hot hatch that does everything (from excellent dynamics to being a utterly sensible commuting device to being well screwed together) is the MINI Cooper S.

..look of it?

..Embaressment of it?

..Rip off price of it?

etc etc

All subjective, I like the looks myself. OTR price is silly, I agree, but for 17k you can have an 05 plate car with decent options and that glorious engine. Really, that engine is brilliant, its very addictive and makes you forget about the downsides pretty quickly. Plus everyone looks at the car and thinks its a diesel, its a proper sleeper car.

Fiesta ST is another hit, so many used ones about and with the performance upgrades Ford have sanctioned you can now get it upto 185 without much trouble. Buy a used car for as little as possible, whack in those upgrades and thats one hell of a car for the money. Perfect little track hatch if thats your persuasion.
All of this sounds good fun, but a word of warning: the standard ST's a reasonable £13,795, but our Stage 2 test car, fitted with the Recaros and KW suspension plus Bluetooth phone kit (£250), electronic automatic temperature control (£250), metallic paint (£350), tinted glass (£100), Technology Pack (rain-sensing wipers, auto headlights, power-folding door mirrors, second remote-control key and remote audio controls, £200) and Reflex Pack (stability control, side and curtain airbags, £550) totted up to a rather worrying £20,088 - not including fitting costs. Is it worth such a spend? We think not.

:blink:

:blink:

All that stuff is not required, except perhaps the recaros. Buy an used ST, add the Stage 2 kit which gives you 185bhp for less than 2k, job done, that seems like a great idea. Recaro's would be a personal choice and obviously more.

add the Stage 2 kit which gives you 185bhp for less than 2k,

Plus fitting?

How much do you think Ford will charge you for taking the head off, and replacing the cams and valve springs?

£500?

Plus fitting?

How much do you think Ford will charge you for taking the head off, and replacing the cams and valve springs?

£500?

No idea, but I thought the idea of getting a used ST (lets say 7k for decent early car perhaps) and adding that kit even with fitting is a pretty cheap way of getting a 185bhp hatch. Less than 10k would get you all that surely. Seems ok to me!

£2500 for 185bhp (plus a ramap if you were to do it propperly) is not really worth the cash in my eyes.

Its still not enough to make it a quick car.

You'll have to rev the knackers off it, as the cams will be raising the power will probably be raising the peak torque a thousand RPM or so.

Ideally throttle bodies and headwork while your at it, so another £2500.

If your going to that stage, standalone fuel management would be an idea so another £1000.

Your going to be looking at £5000 and you'll be hitting 200ish BHP.

May as well just buy a 197.