Lupo FSI

Russ

Hi,

The international car data list 'Carfolio' shows a Lupo FSI 1400cc 101bhp. Is this the car sold in the UK as a 1.4 litre Sport model. What is the FSI model can anyone tell me about it? Is there a SEAT version?

regards rus5432

I think its kind of a petrol version of the 3L lupo (1.2TDi eco thing) its got the 3L front and is more built for good economy rather than speed.

So i gather anyway.

There isnt a seat version no, just had a though, how cool would a 3L version of an arosa be :wub:

Hi,

The international car data list 'Carfolio' shows a Lupo FSI 1400cc 101bhp. Is this the car sold in the UK as a 1.4 litre Sport model. What is the FSI model can anyone tell me about it? Is there a SEAT version?

regards rus5432

No you can't buy the FSi in this country. The FSi looks a bit like a 3L and was the first VW with a direct-injection petrol engine.

The Lupo FSI (fuel stratified injection) was a 5L petrol version of the 3L and was the first VW with a direct injection petrol engine. Because it was only made in limited quantities, it was only made as LHD and only sold in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. It had a different grill to the 3L but otherwise appeared very similar and had the same gearbox.

RAB

hang on, i thought the FSI was the prototype of the gti?

Gti style body but with a 1400 petrol engine.

I may be making that up, but boss john will know.

I don't think so, because of the auto 'box in it.

My TDi came with an FSi handbook for some reason, its got all the tech specs in, its more like a petrol 3L than a GTI :)

Edited by jon_273

• 3 months later...

Time to bring up a blast from the past. I don't quite understand the Lupo FSI. It has more a tad more power than a sport, 103bhp, weighs less at 900kg and has a lower drag coefficient of 0.30cd and has what is practically DSG on board.

Why then is the quoted 0-60 11.8 seconds? Did the original DSG gearbox not have a ratio hold, or is that just for the standard automatic acceleration.

I reckon a manual version would have been ace! Possibly even lighter and would be a lot quicker than a sport.

lets put some things right about 3L and fsi.

the fsi is pretty much the same car as the 3L. same alu wings, same front bumper (except other grille), doors from alu and the same weired shaped boot-lid. same straight side-skirts.

i think it came with the same 14" magnesium wheels. only real difference is the rear bumper, the fsi has a normal lupo bumper, the 3l has that kind of mud-flap-like design, similar to the gti.

interiour-wise both 3L and fsi have the golf mk3 seat consoles (whereas all other lupos have the mk4 consoles), the light-weight seats. i think the fsi has the standart steering wheel though, the 3L has that minimalistic magnesium wheel.

as RAB said, it has vw´s first mass-production fsi engine, 1400cc. it comes (as the 3L) with many lightweight parts, such as pretty much the entire front axle from alu. both cars need other coilies than normal lupos and there is no after-market anti-rollbar for them. the fsi has disc-brakes in the rear, the 3L some lightweight drums.

the biggest misery about both fsi and 3l is the gearbox. no manual versions sold at all. unfortunately, its neither a normal automatic gearbox with torque-converter, nor the dsg high-tech stuff. its some automated manual box, pretty much the same bullshit as in the mk1 smart. it takes ages for shifting, this is what makes it so slow and unsporty to drive.

the 3L has a switch for two modes, one for saving gas and one for beeing a bit quicker. it turns the boost up and down, depending on the mode. on efficiency mode, it turns off the engine as soon as the car stops (like hte new bmw´s. except there is no clutch, to tell the car to turn back on :blush: ).

also, the actuator of that gearbox brakes pretty much regularly and isnt cheap.

converting either car to a standart gearbox is mechanically possible of course, but its a hell lot of work to get the electrical side working, you must do major reprogramming to the entire can-bus system. AFAIK, no one has gone through that before. it would be well worth it though in my eyes, the fsi engine has quite a lot of power and the car is lighter than the gti. plus its really good on gas.

ok, thats enough info for now, i think :coffee:

Thanks for the info maggiz. As I understand it, the fantastic five valve head 1.8 engine that VW/Audi used was dropped in favor of an FSI based engine because of its lower emissions. It makes sense that they piloted its development through a low profile model like the Lupo. I imagine that a manual FSI Lupo would be really something.

Courtesy of good old wiki:

Volkswagen/Audi introduced their GDi engine in 2000, under the product name Fuel Stratified (FSI), the technology adapted from Audi's Le Mans prototype racecar.

GDi - Gasoline Direct Injection or GDi is a variant of fuel injection employed in modern two- and four- stroke petrol engines. The gasoline is highly pressurized, and injected via a common rail fuel line directly into the combustion chamber of each cylinder, as opposed to conventional multi-point fuel injection that happens in the intake tract, or cylinder port. GDi enables stratified charge (ultra lean burn) combustion for improved fuel efficiency and emission levels at low load.

The major advantages of a GDI engine are increased fuel efficiency and high power output. In addition, the cooling effect of the injected fuel, coupled with the more evenly dispersed mixtures allow for more aggressive ignition timing curves. Emissions levels can also be more accurately controlled with the GDI system. The cited gains are achieved by the precise control over amount of fuel and injection timings which are varied according to the load conditions. In addition, there are no throttling losses in some GDI engines, when compared to a conventional fuel injected or carbureted engine, which greatly improves efficiency in engines without a throttle plate.

The engine management system continually chooses among three combustion modes: ultra lean burn, stoichiometric, and full power output. Each mode is characterized by the air-fuel ratio. The stoichiometric air-fuel ratio for petrol (gasoline) is 14.7 to 1 by weight, but ultra lean mode can involve ratios as high as 65:1. These leaner mixtures, much leaner than in a conventional engine, reduce fuel consumption.

• Ultra lean burn mode is used for light-load running conditions, when little or no acceleration is required. The fuel is not injected at the intake stroke but rather at the latter stages of the compression stroke, so that the small amount of air-fuel mixture is optimally placed near the spark plug. This stratified charge is surrounded by mostly air which keeps the fuel away from the cylinder walls for lowest emissions. The combustion takes place in a toroidal (donut shaped) cavity on the piston's surface. This technique enables the use of ultra-lean mixtures impossible with carburetors or conventional fuel injection.
  • Stoichiometric mode is used for moderate load conditions. Fuel is injected during the intake stroke, creating a homogeneous fuel-air mixture in the cylinder. From the stoichiometric ratio, an optimum burn results in clean exhaust readily further cleaned by the catalytic converter.
  • Full power mode is used for rapid acceleration and heavy loads (as when climbing a hill). The air-fuel mixture is homogeneous and the ratio is slightly richer than stoichiometric, which helps prevent knock (pinging). The fuel is injected during the intake stroke.

Direct injection may also be accompanied by other engine technologies such as variable valve timing and tuned or variable length intake manifolding. Water injection or (more commonly) exhaust gas recirculation may help reduce the high NOx emissions that result from burning ultra lean mixtures.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

speaking of the FSI range of engines... well sort of, how awesome would a lupo be with the 1.4 TSI (170ps) and dsg box out of the Mk 5 golf gt sport be...

is it just me with that thought?

also sorry for the off topic-ness lol

^.^

Edited by tomnotrevo

speaking of the FSI range of engines... well sort of, how awesome would a lupo be with the 1.4 TSI (170ps) and dsg box out of the Mk 5 golf gt sport be...

is it just me with that thought?

also sorry for the off topic-ness lol

^.^

Would be even better with a six speed manual out of the golf ;)

• 2 years later...

Time to bring up a blast from the past. I don't quite understand the Lupo FSI. It has more a tad more power than a sport, 103bhp, weighs less at 900kg and has a lower drag coefficient of 0.30cd and has what is practically DSG on board.

Why then is the quoted 0-60 11.8 seconds? Did the original DSG gearbox not have a ratio hold, or is that just for the standard automatic acceleration.

I reckon a manual version would have been ace! Possibly even lighter and would be a lot quicker than a sport.

The FSI was built for economy, not performance. Hence the 0-60 time. Longer gears are the main reason, not the gear change. In fact the gearchange is quicker than you could possibly change manually. The gearchange components were made by a company called Hilite, who also supplied similar equipment, using the same technology, for the Ferrari 355 & 360, amongst others!

The gearbox is also not a DSG, just a lightened manual gearbox.

RAB

Edited by RAB

made by a company called Hilite, who also supplied similar equipment, using the same technology, for the Ferrari

Hilite. I think they were the fsckers who (badly) designed the cam screens in the w8 engine.

the biggest misery about both fsi and 3l is the gearbox. no manual versions sold at all. unfortunately, its neither a normal automatic gearbox with torque-converter, nor the dsg high-tech stuff. its some automated manual box, pretty much the same bull**** as in the mk1 smart. it takes ages for shifting, this is what makes it so slow and unsporty to drive.

the 3L has a switch for two modes, one for saving gas and one for beeing a bit quicker. it turns the boost up and down, depending on the mode. on efficiency mode, it turns off the engine as soon as the car stops (like hte new bmw´s. except there is no clutch, to tell the car to turn back on :blush: ).

also, the actuator of that gearbox brakes pretty much regularly and isnt cheap.

Is this view based on experience or bull**** copied from elsewhere? There is no similarity at all with the Smart. The gearchange mechanisms were supplied by the same company that supplies Ferrari with similar equipment. The gearbox actuator does not break regularly; it has been estimated by the suppliers that over 90% of replacements are unnecessary. I have done about 240,000km with these actuators without a single problem. The main problem seems to be lack of knowledge on the part of service providers, including VAG in Germany.

RAB