Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

Can't see the point going on an 18 month contract when they come out yearly. It would mean in 18 months I have to make the choice to get the already 6 month old one or carry on on the contract for another 6 months until the new one comes out.

new 13inch Macbook Pro.... be waiting for an excuse to upgrade my 13 incher. :)

Edited by Putney

new 13inch Macbook Pro.... be waiting for an excuse to upgrade my 13 incher. :)

i am now an apple geek

bought a mac mini and upgraded it to 4gb of memory and a 320gb 7200rpm drive.

still not got the hang of osx yet, and i'm running a virtual windows machine on it cos there is no decent news client for the mac.

only played with it for 1 evening, so i'm sure i'll get the hang of it soon.

p.s i'm absolutley loving the apple wireless keyboard, it's a work of art!

i'm also running it alongside my media centre pc as i still think windows 7 is immense compared to osx, but the general aim as i get used to osx is to make the switch completely and just use my pc when i really have to.

Edited by Adam K

I picked up a mini this morning to replace the broken iBook -- it was a bit of an impulse purchase!

It's the 2gig model with the *massive* 1gb of ram.

Stuck Plex on it (that's got a lot better since I last looked), vlc and firefox, and that's it. No need for any other software. So it will be staying stock.

Ran geekbench on it and it's *slightly* faster than the macbook I use for everything - didn't expect that, but the ddr3 ram does have a measurable effect.

As soon as I can get hold of a replacement eyetv (I can't believe it's cheaper to buy a new stick than to just buy the software!) and an hdmi lead and adapter off ebay, it's going in the living room as the new pvr and media hub.

That still leaves me with the hackintosh to build as the main work machine. I've settled on the spec, but having to pick up the mini has set me back a month. At this rate I'd be best just waiting until snow leopard is out.

Oh, and as well as matching the educational price, which the Glasgow store has never done before (it doesn't hurt to ask), the bloke there mentioned the upgrade to Snow Leopard for such recent purchases as this will be a mighty.... ... £7.95.

If I didn't have to use Autodesk Revit for work, I'd be completely mac these days...

I picked up a mini this morning to replace the broken iBook -- it was a bit of an impulse purchase!

It's the 2gig model with the *massive* 1gb of ram.

Stuck Plex on it (that's got a lot better since I last looked), vlc and firefox, and that's it. No need for any other software. So it will be staying stock.

Ran geekbench on it and it's *slightly* faster than the macbook I use for everything - didn't expect that, but the ddr3 ram does have a measurable effect.

As soon as I can get hold of a replacement eyetv (I can't believe it's cheaper to buy a new stick than to just buy the software!) and an hdmi lead and adapter off ebay, it's going in the living room as the new pvr and media hub.

That still leaves me with the hackintosh to build as the main work machine. I've settled on the spec, but having to pick up the mini has set me back a month. At this rate I'd be best just waiting until snow leopard is out.

Oh, and as well as matching the educational price, which the Glasgow store has never done before (it doesn't hurt to ask), the bloke there mentioned the upgrade to Snow Leopard for such recent purchases as this will be a mighty.... ... £7.95.

If I didn't have to use Autodesk Revit for work, I'd be completely mac these days...

you should really upgrade the system memory with another gig of ram as it will double the shared graphics card memory.

i have ordered 4 gig of ram and a 320gb 7200rpm drive for mine, so by tuesday i should have it all installed.

you should really upgrade the system memory with another gig of ram as it will double the shared graphics card memory.

i have ordered 4 gig of ram and a 320gb 7200rpm drive for mine, so by tuesday i should have it all installed.

Yup I see crucial do 4gig for £50 which seems a fair price. May just go for it.

And browsing (at work!) this afternoon tells me that eyetv will recognise my original tuner, plus the new one I have to buy to get the software again (old copy lost in the ibook...) so it will turn into a really decent PVR!!!

*Can't wait* to get everything together. Going to play around with Remote Buddy to make it all doable from the one remote. Like I said above, Plex is looking really good these days. Just off to have a look at Boxee...

Apple sent me an email today about the new 13" MacBook Pro, have the renamed the new 13" MacBook (Alu case) which has been available for around 6 months?

I got the new 13" unibody a few months ago now (top spec!), and never looked back or needed windows once. Found OSX really easy to get used to.

I sometimes wonder if I should have got a 15" pro, just eh bigger screen but apart from that I'm well happy with it.

It seems you can't buy the normal 13" anymore, has to be as pro...

It seems you can't buy the normal 13" anymore, has to be as pro...

As I thought although the spec of the new entry level MacBook Pro doesn't seem any different to mine (MacBook) looks like model restructuring to me.

yeah i just got that e-mail,

have been looking for a macbook an was wondering if to go for the macbook with alu case,

altho now the pro is cheaper than the orignal macbook,

wanna know if it has the snazzzy keyboard but none of them say anything about it :(

Yup I see crucial do 4gig for £50 which seems a fair price. May just go for it.

And browsing (at work!) this afternoon tells me that eyetv will recognise my original tuner, plus the new one I have to buy to get the software again (old copy lost in the ibook...) so it will turn into a really decent PVR!!!

*Can't wait* to get everything together. Going to play around with Remote Buddy to make it all doable from the one remote. Like I said above, Plex is looking really good these days. Just off to have a look at Boxee...

just installed boxee after you mentioned it and it's the best out of the plex and xbmc IMO.

Anyone got any experience with hooking up an external monitor to a Macbook? Planning on using my monitor, connected via mini DVI to DVI, for having pdf's open whilst I type on the Macbook. Does it work well dragging things from screen to screen and having the mouse pointer switch over screens etc.? Any advice?

So, it's not looking good at all good for Jobs, it seems. That form of cancer tends to have spread by the time a transplant becomes necessary.

Makes you wonder where the company will head next (and what will happen to AAPL when the markets open on Monday). Apple must know the implications to have leaked the story on a Friday; the same Friday that the 3GS comes out...

Ive hasn't got any commercial vision (and lately I feel that their industrial design has become diluted over the last couple of years).

There hasn't been a stand-out product for a while now. Maybe the mactablet will be a turning point...

:(

Edited by dxg