Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

Overclockers have 320GB disks for £52.99. iFixit.com have decent guides for ripping your Mac apart.

Found this 320gb disk - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149432/show_product_reviews

And this RAM upgrade from Crucial - http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs...5A5E837A5CA7304

Plus £25 for Snow Leopard

Should be a hefty upgrade to my stock 2Ghz Macbook Aluminium at just a cost of £145.

ripping your Mac apart.

I don't like how you word that! :o

memory from crucial - £40ish

seagate momentum from overclockers - £42

external sata enclosure so I can clone the current drive - about £16 from overclockers

plus this guide:

Job's a good 'un. I shall report back presently...

i just did the recent OX upgrade after i noticed that when returning from sleep, my dear macbook was taking like 30 seconds to fins my wifi. did the update.. i open the lid and BAM its there ready to rock.

Got to love rolling updates :)

Hence why my Dell is in the loft.. and will remain there until it has reached antique value enough to pay off the mortgage i will have :D

memory from crucial - £40ish

seagate momentum from overclockers - £42

external sata enclosure so I can clone the current drive - about £16 from overclockers

plus this guide:

Job's a good 'un. I shall report back presently...

Ahhh that SATA enclosure is what I need to migrate data from old HDD to new yes??

I want to do a clean install on the new HDD of Snow Leopard and then just transfer files, but I guess my Macbook (once connected via the USB external SATA enclosure) will just see it as a second drive?

Upgraded my 2006 macbook (my main machine) from 2gb to 4gb this weekend and the thing flies now!

I was under the impression that the early macbooks couldn't support 4GB of ram fully, they only make use of 3.3gb? I went with 2x1GB sticks because of this.

I like the sound of a Solid State Drive though, I value performance over storage space, plus I only use 100GB of my HDD for OSX anway! The other thing I'd like to upgrade is the screen - colour reproduction could be better...

About this mac says 4gb, as does geekbench. So it's certainly reporting it, even if it's not using it. This is a rev b mainboard. Who cares, though; it is a marked improvement!

Edited by dxg

There's no excuse to not have an external disk to use with Time Machine! If you were to use Time Machine you could do a clean install of Snow Leopard and import everything from your TM backup in the OSX installer :)

I couldn't do that though surely? I'm going to be doing this...

1. Remove old HD
  2. Install new HD & new RAM
  3. Insert Snow Leopard disc
  4. Boot MacBook to cleanly install Snow Leopard
  5. Plug old HDD in via USB and copy data (such as music)

Do you mean once I have done this, I should use Time Machine?

Well overclockers have let me down. After booking a day of work on the only gap in my schedule for the next few weeks and booking delivery for today, they haven't dispatched anything.

On phoning up to find out why, the drive they have showing on their site as in stock - in fact isn't. Ive been using that company since around 2004 and they just get shadier and shadier... If only they weren't so cheap. Time to move solely to dabs, I think.

On a plus note, my £7.95 copy of Leopard (I bough a mini mac a couple of months ago) is in the post! Shame I'll have nothing to put it on.

And:

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/26/adobe-...x-snow-leopard/

I mean, wtf? That is a show stopper for me. My core workflow centres on that package. I can't afford to upgrade to CS4 and I really don't want to anyway (flash interfaces?)

So now I have to decide if I will risk it or not...

Grrr.

proper loving my iphone,

just got to bite the bullet an order a unibody mac now, think ill wait few more weeks getting in as much oevrtime as i can to make up for the phone purchase tho,

i guess i should wait as snow lepoard will be as standard then?

Well overclockers have let me down. After booking a day of work on the only gap in my schedule for the next few weeks and booking delivery for today, they haven't dispatched anything.

On phoning up to find out why, the drive they have showing on their site as in stock - in fact isn't. Ive been using that company since around 2004 and they just get shadier and shadier... If only they weren't so cheap. Time to move solely to dabs, I think.

On a plus note, my £7.95 copy of Leopard (I bough a mini mac a couple of months ago) is in the post! Shame I'll have nothing to put it on.

Just compared prices on dabs.com and they are much cheaper, with free delivery...

My basket on overclockers was £140 incl delivery, on dabs.com it's £112. That's for RAM and HDD upgrade and an external enclosure for my old drive.

I am wondering if I should buy Windows 7 while it's half price? It seems to be a big step forward for Microsoft so for £65 is it worth having the Home Premium version installed on my extra hard drive, just in case? Or is £65 better spent elsewhere??

Sorry to use the M word in an Apple thread but it would be installed on my Macbook!

Just compared prices on dabs.com and they are much cheaper, with free delivery...

My basket on overclockers was £140 incl delivery, on dabs.com it's £112. That's for RAM and HDD upgrade and an external enclosure for my old drive.

Yup, gone off overclockers. They are cheap, but the last few orders I've placed with them have all had something go amiss.

Depsite the guy on the phone saying their supplies hadn't come in and they'd correct their website to show out of stock, it is still sitting there with 10+ "in stock" and nothing has been dispatched.

I'll call tomorrow and cancel.

I was going to place a hackintosh order with them in the next month. Not anymore.

I picked up my copy last night, but can't install until I get my new Hard Drive.

Does anyone have experience with dabs.com and how quickly things arrive on the free postage service??

Dabs are normally quick.

Does your CD say "Upgrade DVD" on it? The really cheap one that turned up this morning for the mac mini does.

I'm just trying to work out if I can use it for a fresh "retail disc" install on a hackintosh in the future, and if I can use it more than once (mini, macbook, hack) - I can't see any sign of a serial number anywhere...

The dics on the apple store all seems to talk about "upgrades discs" (even the family pack) - I'm assuming I could still install this on a blank drive - anyone know?

Anyway - I shall upgrade the mini today and report back later...

I may head into town and pick up a family pack anyway - it would be interesting to see what the apple store's like today...

I hope that my stuff turns up today then as it's come by a 1-3 royal mail service so they should deliver Saturdays. I intend to do a clean install on the new drive so it had better not just be for upgrades!!!

Would it be better if I install on my existing drive with Leopard installed and then do a Time Machine back up t'other new drive and then swap them over in my machine?

This lark is confusing me! I was hoping to just install a fresh on my new Hard Drive!!