Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

just got a cheap g4 powermac

seems pretty cool tbh, but i need to have msn downloaded msn for mac book is naff,

anyone got any recomendations?

Yes, Adium.

http://adium.im/

It takes a little getting used to, but once up and running you'll love it. You can sign into multiple services at once (I use it for MSN & Facebook). It's completely customisable, so no more ugly MSN!!

does anyone know if there will be a 64 gb touch coming soon :rolleyes:

can anyone shed any light on this? i've read that ipods usually get updated around "fall", but i've also read that because the ipod touch didnt get updated until feburary that this new one wont come till roundabout the same time.

can anyone shed any light on this? i've read that ipods usually get updated around "fall", but i've also read that because the ipod touch didnt get updated until feburary that this new one wont come till roundabout the same time.

New iPod range is expected to be unveiled to the public on Wednesday 9th September.

Camera will probably be part of the next model. They've just gotta have those yearly updates.

I think the camera isn't in with the Touch because it would be too similar to the iPhone. Bang Skype on an iTouch and you've almost got an iPhone then, just seems they would be taking their own business away from themselves, as pricing is close with those 2 products.

Yes, Adium.

http://adium.im/

It takes a little getting used to, but once up and running you'll love it. You can sign into multiple services at once (I use it for MSN & Facebook). It's completely customisable, so no more ugly MSN!!

Aah, I remember the day I told you to get Adium

I still haven't updated to Snow Leopard on my work machine (2007 macbook) because I;ve got too much work on and can't take the risk right now.

But, after the 2gb > 4gb a couple of weeks ago, today I went from a 5400rpm 80gb (with 4.5gb left!!) to a 7200prm 320gb and the XBench results were:

Before:

Results 87.72

Disk Test 23.30

Sequential 36.13

Uncached Write 33.93 20.83 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 32.39 18.33 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 35.10 10.27 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 45.75 22.99 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 17.20

Uncached Write 6.65 0.70 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 34.09 10.91 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 30.92 0.22 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 48.90 9.07 MB/sec [256K blocks]

After:

Results 138.02

Disk Test 67.62

Sequential 100.26

Uncached Write 123.45 75.79 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 120.41 68.13 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 61.19 17.91 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 139.94 70.33 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 51.01

Uncached Write 18.36 1.94 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 162.22 51.93 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 93.18 0.66 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 142.04 26.36 MB/sec [256K blocks]

So a 1.6 times increase in disk performance. It really does feel *snappy!*

Aside - had a look at the new iPod nanos in the Apple store this morning - All I could think was *meh*

Almost bought the price-cut iPod touch, but instead ordered £10 replacement battery for my 2g Nano and will hold out to see what the tablet's like in the new year...

Urm quick question got a griffin case for iPhone that goes round sides and across back and back is clear but gets loads o dirt in back an scratching it and looks bad anyone recomend a good one thought spending 20 quid would get me a good one as came with the screen protector but obviously not anyone got a good case to recomend?

I still haven't updated to Snow Leopard on my work machine (2007 macbook) because I;ve got too much work on and can't take the risk right now.

I updated to Snow last week, it's very quick and doesn't damage your system. I would advise backing up your data externally, wipe the HD and install from fresh = 0% Fragmentation.

Check the applications that you use are Snow compatible, most are and I'm very pleased;

For some reason iDVD '09 goes crazy and crashes when you try and make a DVD using 7.0 themes, "they" say that if you use 6.0 themes it'll work. That isn't the case, that crashes too when you click on burn. I'll just wait for a fix.

Well, tonight I've ordered all the bits for a mid-range Hackintosh -- eek!!!

Sticking with EP45 chipset, but with a quad core chip and 8gigs of memory. Should be an interesting experiment...

I'm hoping for performance somewhere around a good iMac (but secretly hoping for something between an iMac and a MacPro...)

I updated to Snow last week, it's very quick and doesn't damage your system. I would advise backing up your data externally, wipe the HD and install from fresh = 0% Fragmentation.

Check the applications that you use are Snow compatible, most are and I'm very pleased;

I rely on Parallels and, although I'm version 4, I'm not sure what to expect...

As an academic, I've also got a bunch of somewhat esoteric software - Sente, Ulysses, Scrivener, DevonThink, and the like... They're all "mission critical" stuff and none are exactly mainstream.

And there's the CS3 issue. Which doesn't seem to bad if you're backing up an old install.