Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

Need to also add Apple to The List but I'll add it in here.

Emma took my phone to Apple today, as I couldnt get an appointment yesterday.

I have an error 21 when trying to restore, which is a common communication error on iPods.

They made her feel really silly by almost shouting at her about illigal firmware being installed, and they refused to even look at it.

The phone doesn't work, is stuck in restore mode.

Really annoyed by it, I've spent almost £2000 with Apple this past year phone call tomorrow, if they don't sort it I'm sending the Mac back to them.

Need to also add Apple to The List but I'll add it in here.

Emma took my phone to Apple today, as I couldnt get an appointment yesterday.

I have an error 21 when trying to restore, which is a common communication error on iPods.

They made her feel really silly by almost shouting at her about illigal firmware being installed, and they refused to even look at it.

The phone doesn't work, is stuck in restore mode.

Really annoyed by it, I've spent almost £2000 with Apple this past year phone call tomorrow, if they don't sort it I'm sending the Mac back to them.

So you jailbroke an iPhone and expected Apple to service it!?!?! Are you mad!

That would indicate that it's jailbroken? My bad if not.

I have iPhone firmware 3.0 on the phone.

And my phone is registered with a developer.

But thats not what the problem is, my problem is a communication error, something which appears to be a common issue with the later iPods.

I have iPhone firmware 3.0 on the phone.

And my phone is registered with a developer.

But thats not what the problem is, my problem is a communication error, something which appears to be a common issue with the later iPods.

How can that be illegal!? It's piss easy to get 3.0 from Apple! Muppets...

Which store do you use?

I went to Arndale in Manchester last Saturday and I must say they were pretty awesome to me, and I wasn't spending much (in their eyes!) as I only bought JBL speakers and Airport express. Found them very helpful and one lad very chatty. Maybe they care more about sales than service though. How to be like Microsoft!

Meadowhall.

They have always been fantastic, and TBH they were fine with me yesterday, Emma went in at Lunch time, and he was very rude to her.

Gonna go in and complain after work tomorrow.

I'm really not happy about the way this is being handled.

Called Apple Meadownhall to complain about the way my wife was spoken to.

Got a semi appolgy, and she said she had sent me an e-mail on Saturday after I left to inform me that they couldn't look at the phone.

I did not get this e-mail, so she has reset it.

They will not even look at it.

Spoke to Apple customer care, they are also refusing to work on it as I have 3.0 installed.

They told me I had to pass it by the Development team.

Spoke to the development guys.

They say its nothing to do with 3.0 its a hardware problem which they can not help with, gave me his name and reference number and asked them to contact him directly if they confirmation that the phone should be looked at by Apple Care.

Called back to Apple Care, still refusing to look at it, informing me to speak to the development team!

Then put through to a customer relations advisor and explained the problem for a eighth time.

He has said he will look into it and call me back (this was at 10:25 today) as someone has said to him that developers lose their warranty rights.

As a developer I find this unacceptable, Apple should not release anything , Beta or not that can damage the hardware.

I just want them to fix the hardware problem, if it turns out its 3.0 thats caused it then send me a bill.

If not, an appology will be acceptable.

Not very happy at all.

Posted the phone yet Andi?

Not yet mate, as a matter of princable I want Apple to be held accountable for the way they are handling someone who has spent around £2000 in the last year with them.

Finally something is happening.

It has been passed over to engineering, should have a response by tomorrow.

Couldn't care less if they are unable to fix it due to the Firmware. I'm just annoyed that they were even refusing to even look into it, even though Apples development team stated (on a voice recorded call) that it was nothing to do with 3.0, that it was a hardware problem.

I wish you luck, kick up a stink, I've never ever had to with Apple, but it should get results eventually I guess!

I picked up the new version of iLife today, mainly as I use iPhoto a fair bit and quite liked some of the new stuff. Very impressed so far.

I have called them twice in total.

Neither the call back yesterday, nor the call back today ever come.

I am really annoyed with Apple tonight.

:(

I miss my iPhone.

I feel lost without it.

I just want them to see either yes or no, so I can send my phone to Jon for him to jail break it and repair it.

The developers team have been fantastic.

Big thumbs up from me.

Oh and top Top it Off, I have just received some junk mail from Apple, that looks like this.

Picture2.png

Been looking on the net to see if there are any cools apps for my MBP and stumbled across this website > Clicky

there are some good ones and some random apps like this one > Macsaber and i believe that this is available for the iphone and i this is one of my favorites too - LiquidMac

Vinny

I just downloaded teleport for my macs - its ****ing awesome.

If you have more than one mac i would recommend it.

you can drag and drop from one to the other, share paste boards and controll either computer with either keyboard and mouse.

I just downloaded teleport for my macs - its ****ing awesome.

If you have more than one mac i would recommend it.

you can drag and drop from one to the other, share paste boards and controll either computer with either keyboard and mouse.

Sounds just like Synergy - the adavantage of synergy being that it's cross platform. Right now this mac is controlling a PC sitting next to it - with mouse, keyboard and clipboard shared between them.

There is a VNC adaptation for OS X which installs itself as a disply driver and allows windows to be moved between displays on different computers - but I can't remember what it's called, but I remember wanting to look at it in more detail...

Okay, I've this laundry list of "it will definately work" components which are all current (aside from the gfx card which is superseded) and can be readily got in from uk suppliers:

Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

CPU: Intel Q6600 Core2Quad 2.4GHz

Graphics: XFX GeForce 7300gt

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB

CPU Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Optical Drive: Samsung 22x DVD burner with Lightscribe

Memory: Kingston ddr2 800 (pc6400) 2Gb x 4

Networking: Netgear GA311 Gigabit Ethernet Card (aparently this is needed because the onnoard network doesn't work)

PSU: Antec Basiq BP550 Plus

Add in this baby to add the EFI bios into the system so you can install off a standard Leapord diskc (none of the boot321 nonsense...):

Youtube Video ->

and you've got a very good, rock solid system for £870.

I am now giving this some serious thought. It could be done without the EFI board for £160 less, but time is money and I don;t have time to mess around with different installs...

Thoughts?