Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

A thread for the real geeks among us, hardly feels like a year since we were watching the iPhone being shown for the first time.

Stuff from the Live Keynote currently going on right now...

Airport Extreme base station with a HD built in for backup. 500GB and 1TB versions. Nifty.

Apparently 4 million iPhones sold, although they are being cagey about where those figures originate, ie it appears there were strong sales in France and less than predicted sales in the UK. Thats just a rumor though, you won't find that info in the keynote!

iPhone software update, of which info was leaked earlier in the month, finally you can do multiply text recipients which should have been out from the start. Location finding in google maps and other titbits.

I'm trying to follow it, but Engadget, TUAW and MacworldExpo.com are all timing out! Read the bit about the Time Capsule though. If they could keep the $-pricing when they carried it over to Europe, it'd be a bargain bit of kit.

I'm on macrumours as tuaw has just stopped working.

is the upgraded i-phone out yet, 16Gb updated software etc. :D

Read my first post. Updated software but no word of any memory upgrades yet.

Well, iTunes movie rentals is here. Looks to be a lot of studio support too.

We await the Apple TV upgrades with baited breath then, as without an update to this I feel the movie rental aspect will be somewhat of a weak feature.

Tried to watch the start at work, but as per normal on a quiet day, bang on 5pm, all hell breaks loose, server crashing, sites misbehaving. Fecking fantastic. So I ran home to get back to reading here :P

Looking good so far. Time Capsul looks great, and finally some more iPhone updates, although I was hoping for the SDK to make an early appearance

Edited by Joe

LOL, to be honest I thought the keynote as 6pm our time so was quite shocked to get home and see it was underway.

It appears the upgrades to Apple TV is a free software upgrade and not a hardware change. Thats a good thing for those that have bought a somewhat disappointing product. Theres a price drop too.

MacBook Air is 0.16" to 0.76". The thickest part of the MacBook Air is thinner than the thinnest part of the Sony. It fits inside a envelope

Awesome :P

13.3" display. Thats much better. Was expecting a 12"

Edited by Joe

I have to say, I'm quite disappointed this year..

I'm not interested in movie rentals or Apple TV (although I do think it's a great concept). The Airport base station with built in storage is nice, but will Time Machine work with it and existing plugged in external HDDs now? MB Air - very nice, but too expensive for me when you consider its spec..

If only:

They had updated the MB and/or MBP so that I can finally replace my G3 800 iBook and move over to Intel & Leopard.

Announced iPhone v2 with 3G, MMS, 3rd party apps and 16GB+ storage.

Updated the screen range

Ahh well, looks like I'll be waiting until gone February now :rolleyes:

Edited by driveforward

Yep the Time Capsule will work with Time Machine :) The howto on syncing them is already on Apples site.

As far as I can tell, the movie rentals goes across the board. You can download the rented movie to your ipod and iphone and watch it on there too.

Agreed the Air is to expensive.

I was hoping for an iBook replacement but that won't happen now

Edited by Joe

Loving the idea of the base station. Would make time machine a much more useful feature, but then again - I doubt I'd ever use it, its more geared up for the professional apple user, rather than someone who uses it for net / mail / photos etc. Can't wait to see what the apple TV update is all about! Although I'm only using mine as a music server...

MacBook Air... Nice, slim, but will probably lose alot of functions because of it, I mean, already, 64SSD disk drive, I mean, I've got a 500GB hard drive sat on my desk and I've used 200GB of it. And only one USB port? Well, what's that about?

If I wanted a small, easy notebook to carry around with me being ultra thin, I'd buy an EEE PC by Asus.

Nice, but I dislike Mac's. I wish they'd change, well, something.

I don't know what it is about them, I use them in college and do graphics using them, but I'd much prefer to be on a standard PC.

Steve Jobs hasn't given anything that's truely amazing this year, I'm a dissapointed anti-Apple spectator.

Bah.

MacBook Air... Nice, slim, but will probably lose alot of functions because of it, I mean, already, 64SSD disk drive, I mean, I've got a 500GB hard drive sat on my desk and I've used 200GB of it. And only one USB port? Well, what's that about?

If I wanted a small, easy notebook to carry around with me being ultra thin, I'd buy an EEE PC by Asus.

Nice, but I dislike Mac's. I wish they'd change, well, something.

I don't know what it is about them, I use them in college and do graphics using them, but I'd much prefer to be on a standard PC.

Steve Jobs hasn't given anything that's truely amazing this year, I'm a dissapointed anti-Apple spectator.

Bah.

Go on Jon, You know you want to delete that post ^ (and this one)

Besides - The EEE PC is nothing more than an Oversize PSION with a 10" Screen... Doesn't really fall into the same category.

Edited by nfbr