Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

Well I've got it installed on the mini.

Not massively impressed. There are a few changes which are really subtle and really nice - change the font size on the desktop icons to see one of them...

Disappointed that you can't get 512 x 512 icons on the desktop (the mini is my living room tv).

I can't tell if I'm running in 64 or 32 bit - just don't know how to check... My eyetv still works and I think that only has 32 bit drivers, though...

Quicktime is nice. It has options for recording video (off a webcam) which will come in massively useful in my teaching.

And it looks like my old macbook will be stuck in 32bit (as some suggested above) which I eventually get the bits delivered to upgrade it: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-336194.html

And my fancy stack drawer icon hack works off the network drivers that sit in my dock but not those on the local machine. Very strange...

And iStat menus don't work, but I knew that before I upgraded.

Edited by dxg

got the facebook 3.0 app, is much better can now like status's aswell

would have been ordering my macbook hopefully next week if i hadnt jus got a letter saying that my insurance has been canceled 3 days ago without me knowing because they couldnt get proof of my NCB an wreckon they sent letters wich i havent recieved,

so gotta buy it again so costing me another £130 with the £50 cancelation fee they took :(

got the facebook 3.0 app, is much better can now like status's aswell

would have been ordering my macbook hopefully next week if i hadnt jus got a letter saying that my insurance has been canceled 3 days ago without me knowing because they couldnt get proof of my NCB an wreckon they sent letters wich i havent recieved,

so gotta buy it again so costing me another £130 with the £50 cancelation fee they took :(

If this is home insurance, PM me and I'll save you some money.

All my bits have arrived from Dabs.com - VERY impressed.

Here we go then.

New RAM's going in, New HDD is going in and then so is the Snow Leopard DVD.

Here's to hoping it works as easily as that.

Then it's a case of copying all my files from the old HDD.

If I've got it wrong, someone send me a PM so my iPhone notifies me before I break something! Haha!

Ah, I was being impatient... But it seems unable to see the new hard drive to install to? That's not good? I can't choose a disk!?

Have you formatted the drive as a mac drive? It's probably NTFS right now, which OS X won't like. Use disk utility, I think.

I'm here! I'm on Snow Leopard!

I have double hard drive space and double RAM also.

So far so good, money well spent.

Will give my view on SL when I have chance to thoroughly explore, however right now I am migrating data (my music!)

I've been reading through this page and trying its stuff out:

http://www.9to5mac.com/snow-leopard-64-bit...it-firmware-efi

It seems that my macbook has a 32bit EFI so will be stuck to that, despite reporting and using its full 4gb - strange.

My mini has a 64bit EFI but is running in 32bit for some reason - this might explain why the TV still works. Will have to investigate.

What machine are you on and what mode?

does anyone know any more neat voice commands?

i know of the play songs by.. an call... but is there any others?

works rather well an you dont have to spend ages pre-recording them :)

I asked my iPhone to 'Play Transplants' and it called my Dad...

Well, my first bit of tinkering is complete to substantially improve the appearance of application windows in the hold to expose mode:

http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16798577

Still working on my stack folder drawers - it seems to be rendering the preview embedded in the icon as the icon. Can't work out why.

Edited by dxg

There's no excuse to not have an external disk to use with Time Machine! If you were to use Time Machine you could do a clean install of Snow Leopard and import everything from your TM backup in the OSX installer :)

Time machine backups aren't bootable though. Carbon Copy Cloner running on a remote mac is the way forward ;)

Still working on my stack folder drawers - it seems to be rendering the preview embedded in the icon as the icon. Can't work out why.

3870121689_647c7d1cdd_o.jpg

^^^ got it to work! woot! In a typical "mess around with it until it works" manner...

I've set up my o2 email address to use specifically for eBay/Paypal but I can't seem to get it working in the Mail application? I've entered all details as o2 say I should - does anyone have any ideas why it might not be working?

Got my o2 email sorted.

Now, just a quickie - my new hard drive is 'whirring' a little louder than my last one did. In fact I didn't hear the previous one, but this one's noticable and vibrating the Mac ever so slightly... Is this normal by going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm?

Got my o2 email sorted.

Now, just a quickie - my new hard drive is 'whirring' a little louder than my last one did. In fact I didn't hear the previous one, but this one's noticable and vibrating the Mac ever so slightly... Is this normal by going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm?

Yes. It will also get hotter and the battery life will be shorter. There are always compromises.

all sounds a bit cr@p, you actually have to pay for upgrades that would be free on windows, not like it is a new OS just slightly tweaked for future applications, and gone is the claims of everythign being so easy to use - sounded like a hassle to me.

:apple::twisted:

all sounds a bit cr@p, you actually have to pay for upgrades that would be free on windows, not like it is a new OS just slightly tweaked for future applications, and gone is the claims of everythign being so easy to use - sounded like a hassle to me.

:apple::twisted:

It's only free on windows as compensation for having to put up with the backlog of issues you get everytime you upgrade the fecker!