GTI 5 speed vs 6 speed

heartagram

Fly you to the moon? Or straight into the dealers with a lunched 'box wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the gear that when you engage it, it makes a loud crunching sound?

yeah thats it, what you have to do is really force it past that crunching sound, that sound is the known as the "tinkle of faith", ye must go past this barrier of doubt to gain the insight of true speed.

think somebody pulling your leg mate the one i used was a very old one was a little matchbox sized things it read 0-60 7.3 qtr mile 15.3 @98mph couldn't figure out the bhp and stuff

Nah ive got a new g-tec, check them out here: http://www.gtechpro.com/accuracy.html

The old ones might have looked like these: http://www.gtechpro.com/prod.html

John

How do these provide RPM figures of runs, do they hook up to the port in your car?

Well how i guess they work is through the cigarette lighter, they use this electrical signal analiser. this can detect the frequency coming from the generative source of electricity of the car. from that signal, the frequency wold be proportional to the rpm.....

when it finally arrives ill let you know how it does it. but from what reviews are saying, there pretty accurate!

I had both, its 6 and 2x3 as far as im concerned.

The mistake they made is that they didnt just put the 6th gear at the end of 5th and had the original 5 gear ratios the same cos then you would get a better top end or a more economical motorway cruising speed.

I found i was changing much more in the 6 speed in the lower gears though.

In my opinion it wasn't a "mistake" to not make the 6th gear an economic ratio.

The ingear times on the 6 speed feel quite nice.

Thats beacuse the 6 speed box is a close ratio box. economic ratio gearing is called overdrive gear found in most 6 speed cars, without a close ratio box. cars with this overdrive gear wont be able to use this gear unless traviling at over 60mph or so.... atleast thas what i understand

john

6 speed is for the gays.
But yes l agree.................6 speed is for the poofs wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Ok then, I guess I'm gay or a poof!

...and I'm loving it! (as long as I stay a virgin!)

huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Same old story!!

I assume that all 5 speed owners who say 6 speed is gay, have driven both cars to compare!? Yeah right!!!

Boring!

OMG ! SIX SPEEDS???? ALL IN ONE BOX???

Can you imagine!! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Well I found due to a lot of motorway driving that if your doing over 100mph then the 6th gear squeels like F£$K. Probs same as 5th on a 5 speed.

When driving a golf or a fabia 6 speed the 6th gear dosent squeel till you hit 120-130mph.

but the other 5 gears feel great and 6th just carries on for ages still with pull.

but the lupo 5th and 6th arnt much different. i would love the 6th to last a bit longer through the 100 mark with out squeeling like a pig.

Of course, you drive a Lupo.

How could you not have some form of gay-ness?

Lupo brings out the Germanic gay in me.

...but a quick shot around the block in the Arosa or F*AT brings out the latin lover!

Best of both!!!

Oh! and a beer, a bag of chips and a pickled egg returns me to reality!!

Ray

I have a polo and a Lupo.

I am ultra Gay

dont let the missus hear you say that wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I AM GAY

calm down qually you didnt need to brag soo much wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

back on topic has anyone ever compared a 5 speed gti against a 6 speed on a drag strip? one more gear change would make quite a gig difference id say here

wayne

Have any of you even bothered to read the links that Nicki posted?? Why ask questions that have been given the answer to and been covered countless times before? You don't even have to search!

Rite well who wants to lend me their 5 speed so i can finish my comparison?

the 6 speed on the g-tec meter was doing constant 7.8-8.0 sec 60 runs, now all i need is a 5 speed to finish my theory!

anyone from guildford way interested??

• 1 year later...

hi,i`m new to the site but not to lupos as i own a 1.4 at the moment but will be upgrading to a lupo gti, but i was wondering which was better the 5 speed gear boxes or the 6??? and what age did the 6 speed get introduced??

if any one can help that would be great :-) x