GTI 5 speed vs 6 speed

heartagram

Which is quicker?

I remember someone saying that the 6 speed was slower because you have to make more changes on the dash to 60mph. Also that 6th gear was the same as 5th on a 5 speed box? Is this true..?

Cheers.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol your gonna get lots of people telling you to search for this one.

Basically, 0-60, you have to make one more change on the 6 speed to the 5 speed, 6th gear is an almost identical ratio to 5th gear on the 5 speed. so your more or less right.

Apparantly according the evo anyway, the 6speed was an improvement, but thats very much debated.

Probably best described as a clever marketing trick to shift more lupo gtis.

On the 6 speed box, you get to around 57mph in 2nd, so its near enough 60. Its a huge can of worms on this site though, but from what i have read the 6 speed is probably a bit quicker on the b roads as you are always in the power band. Apart from that, there is nothing in it really.

in my view the 0-50/60/70/80 mph times are all slower because of the standing start and the fact that the 6 speed box is heavier than the 5 speed, the kerb weight is significantly more from 5speed 975kgs to 6 spd 1000kgs roughly.

i also have to say performance calculations aside. i would like to have the gti engine sounding sweet in the rev range more often and controllable with the 6sp ratios rather than the 5spd. as a purely pleasure and fun kind of thing.

Edited by qually

So which is faster? a sport or gti?

tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

6 gears got more sleection, the different ratios and no overdrive gearing make the 6 speed slightly faster between ranges, from the start there basically the same.

Ill get my g-tec ss on a 5 speed and on a 6 speed and ill get back to you with results, its the only way!!

john

So which is faster? a sport or gti?

tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

GTI is faster than a sport, but thats not the question being asked... tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Will do, im just waiting for it to arrive from g-tec themselves.

apparently the accuracy isa pretty good if its set up well in the car and can be as low as:

G-TECH/Pro (SS & RR)

Performance Meter

+/- 0.2mph 0-60

+/- .01sec 1/4 Mi

+/- 0.4mph 1/4 Mi Speed

+/- 1%HP

+/- 1%NM

+/- 2%RPM

Apparently ive herd the g-tec is the best out there atm, and ive seen times for the gti going around stating standard cars ranging fron 7.5-8.0 seconds.

John

The 7speed is the one to go for, mines got reverse aswell laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edited by vworks41

Doesn't matter whether you're running 5, 6 or 7 speed if you fluff a gear change. Think the driver might make the most difference here guys. Best mod you could ever do is performance driver training and get your race licence. Makes way more difference than bolting on a different 'box/exhaust/etc

But yes l agree.................6 speed is for the poofs wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

has no one discoverd the secret half gear on the opposite side to reverse slot. its glitch vw have killed many to keep silent.

it actually engages hyperdrive. good for those speed of light moments when surrounded by imperial star destroyers.

Damn it man, you know the rules. Never mention 'gear 4.5'

Cardinal sin mate, i'd lay low for a while, they'll be looking for you! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />