Casper's Supercharged GTi - MK Indy Hayabusa Turbo - 413bhp/243ftlb

CasperGTI

Is the block orange still, looks more red, what did you paint it with??? I can't decide what colour to do my next MG race engine. I see what you mean about the ports in the ring land, not much room for more though.

The rings should rotate... But know body seems to know much about the physics of it all....

Paint is POR-15 engine enamel in chevy orange, i love the colour, really do. Although its going to be a bitch to clean no doubt!

Yeah really cant work out whats going on with the rings, hopefully it will sort itself once ive sorted out the oil jet problem, as the excessive oil could in theroy stop them rotating from hydraulic effect. Ive checked the bores too many times now, and im still as sure as i can be that there not oval in any way. Pictures of the bore have been sent to my man who got the pistons and rods designed and made, Hes having a look and is going to see if he can come up with some explanation as to whats going on, as the pistons seem to be suited to the bores, and the rings matched to the set. Just why its not working is a bit of an unknown really. Thats what happens when you pioneer something i suppose!

It only takes a small groove in the bore though to stop a piston ring rotating, The next set are going to be done to the finest of details. And the jets have alot of time and effort put in to them. Just need to wait for them to arrive, Then once my man has come back to me, ill order a set of rings and get on with putting it back together. I hope!

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Block was finished by ball honing it. The shiney portion is where the rings have been running up and down. The bottom change in colour is where the rings dont touch and that is still a fresh honed surface.

Its all very complicated it seems!

Do the bores look like the first 1/2" all the way down, hard to tell from the picture above. Was the block honed on machine or by hand?

I would say the rings bedded in fine, don't worry about any piston wobble @TDC, .004" is correct. make sure it's not to rich when you try again, or this will stop the rings breaking in.... The rings will bed in afet a few minutes, so if it smokes you will soon know.

I hate that orange colour btw :D Utter horrid, I will stick to red.

Ok bit of an update.

Lots of talks with JE and total seal going on at the moment as to why i had these issues.

Speaking to total seal, and looking in to running a 3 peice oil ring instead of a 2 peice as im runnning now, which will help as there is more mass on a 3 peice to control the oil, and to run a larger oil ring gap as it looks like at 0.015" gap, the rings seem to be butting up.

JE have said there cannot be any more holes in the piston as any more holes will be drilled in the wrong place (outside the centre box section of the piston), meaning im cycling the oil off the bores, through the holes and back on to the bores again which is useless.

Im learning more and more by the day from speaking to people. And it like to thank dave powell at performance unlimited (UK supplier of of my parts) for taking his time to get this problem resolved.

So, waiting for a new ring set which should arrive in 10 days. I have new tappets as i always wnated to change them but never did last time. And of course a new set of oil jets which will be reshaped and restricted for the new pistons. Hope to have it back together in the next 3 weeks.

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

Anyway a few pics.

Some of the MK5 handle. Its all wired in and working, sorry the cars dirty for a change.

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

Added in an IO play bluetooth mp3 and car head unit which is pretty damn cool.

IMG_2465.jpg

Dash is now ready for some gauges, newsouth performance gauges which are indigo blue to match the rest of the dash. Boost pressure and oil temperature to start off with. Waiting for them to arrive from the US thanks to Al at awesome GTi ofcourse.

IMG_2466.jpg

newsouthind1s.jpg

Ever wondered what £1800 of metal looks like?? something like this!!

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

I have dejavu too..... im sure ive already been in this state this year at some point??

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

John

£1800... Thats custom parts for you! Did you pay out extra for the Carr rod bolts?

3 peice rings don't need gapping, so you shouldn't have anymore issue's there.... (Unless it's something i've not seen before, Americans still seem to be abit behind us.)

Did you use a stretch gauge on the rod bolts??

Yeah, Je pistons ans carrillo rods with CARR bolts.

Yes i got hold of a stretch guage..... was a nightmare to borrow one, and now ive got to again! although ill take them to the lower limits this time as they have been stretched once before, although you can torque up a CARR bolt quite a few times due to its properties. Aslong as they stay within their min and max torque values then ill be fine. They are seriously strong.

3 Piece oil rings have more mass to move the oil too, so hopefully no problems will come of them again. SAE standards for a 3 peice ring can be as much as 0.060" which is huge!!! Im looking for 0.020" i think in the next set, mabe more.

Luckily the gauge i got hold of has a small portion going down to the bottom of the bolt so it made it easier but it was still really tight!

Stretch gauges are a bit OTT to be honest, is specifies a torque, which in theory you should acheive the stretch with anyway. But i suppose when you beuilding close tollerance engines i suppose its needed.

John

Well... i never had a issue using the torque method before I had a stretch gauge. But the torque method relies on the correct amount of friction and cycling of the bolts to achieve the correct stretch, This is well documented with ARP stuff, using their special lubricant... And using a initial torque to preload the bolts.

you can download a sheet from the ARP website to measure the bolts before fitting, so you can re-use them at the next freshen up if they havent stretched, you need a pointed end mice for this.... blablabla. I will put my anorak away now cause it's far too hot:)

Doing a great job, hope it all works out this time.

The carrillio stuff comes with the lubricant too, it says somewhere about cycling of the bolts too but i didnt pay much attantion to it tbh. If i cant get hold of the gauge, i think three white knuckles and a fart will be my torque setting!

I hope it works too this time.... If not i think i may be left scratching my head a little bit!

John

Yeah the bluetooth kit is good, especially for the money. Just got to work out a way to make it pause the cd player when a call comes in as at the moment it keeps playing even though being muted. so i miss out on a point in the song im in!

My gauges have turned up now, Got a bit of modifications to make to the centre console so they fit perfectly, but there nai n spot on. They will definatly make it look the part. I have oil temp and boost pressure, ive started the wiring and pipe routing for the transducer and aim to have it all done before i stick the engine back in.

On another good note, I now have 3 piece oil rings which is great. And they will be with me on monday. Just need to take the valves out ans clean the ports again before i stick it all back together.

Few more weeks and she will be alive agian. Hoping the have it ready for gti international on the 5th of july. just not definatly putting myself to that date! you know how projects are!

John

New rings are here, so looks like im going to start the rebuild next monday when i can get some time off.

Been wiring in the gauges today, looks spot on. But the wiring and routing was a right pain, with a loom for the gps, cd changer, ioplay and now the gauges all getting put in to that tight place.... I got there in the end, after much swearing!

P1030922.jpg

P1030920.jpg

P1030919.jpg

John

yeah they did all come from the same place.

Newsouth performance in america, there called indigo gauges... imported by awesome gti for me.. Thanks goes to al ofcourse!

Its a mk4 golf blaking plate, which is a direct fit. You can get them in 1,2 or 3 gauge slots if you want. But to be honest putting 3 in there will make it sooooo cramped.

Just been looking at them in the dark and the gauges are slightly brighter than the dash, It comes with a supplied resistor to put in if they appear brighter. So im going to have to give that a go me thinks.

John

great project mate! i have just put the same pistons in my ford focus rs engine how ever i am using eagle rods with mine! my ring gaps were 15 thou on the top ring! i wasn't using total seal rings though! they supply other rings too

DSC04416.jpg

DSC04117.jpg

keep up the good work! im yet to turn mine over

Ben...