Which Sat Nav?

Nicki

Afternoon peeps,

I'm looking to get Sat Nav in the next couple of months and need your advice.

I've done a little bit of research & spoken to a few people and I've got it down to two choices now:

Road Angel Navigator

Tom Tom Go 500

Which would you recommend & why?

Ta muchly

Tom Tom 1

Dont know if its any good, but in the Taxi last night the dude had one, and in night mode its the same neon blue as the Lupo dash biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

3D view was cool around the country ends as well.

saw a few bad reviews of the road angel one when I was reading up on satnav a fw months back. freezes quite a bit, but that could have just been an early software release.

i've used a few now, but never the road angel. tom tom (500) was best for me. but they were all terrible in london for losing their signal. one nearly got thrown out of the window. road angel seems like a jack of all trades and master of none

i reckon you'll be alright up and down southend seafront though.

I'm using Route 66 on my phone, which is spookily similar to Tom Tom, only I find it better (except for the screen clearly being smaller).

As it's so similar to Tom Tom, that's the one out of the pair you've suggested that I'd opt for. Also know several friends with Tom Tom's and they've all been very impressed.

I'm looking to get Sat Nav in the next couple of months

But I thought womens sense of direction was always right? Surely you don't need one tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Ive got a TomTom too Nicki and i would recommend getting one biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Tom with a TomTom

Edited by GTi T

I'd go for TomTom. Simply because they've been making SatNav software for five years now, and they're getting pretty good at it.

Anyone can build a lump of plastic that sits on your dash and looks pretty, but it's the software that makes it worthwhile. If the software is rubbish, hard to use, unreliable, slow, etc., then it stops being useful and starts being annoying.

As an example, my parents have a £2,000 Alpine satnav system in their car, and neither they nor I can use it properly - it's simply too unintuitive unless you're going to memorise the manual.

Chris - I don't want one with a laser detector - by the time they've detected the laser, its too late to do anything anyway, unless you happen to be lucky enough to catch the scatter from a car in front. I've had my road angel just over a year & it is yet to pick up a laser... Plus, I'm only going to be driving in Europe once this year and seeing as its not my intention to fork out the cash for european maps for a tom tom/road angel navigator, I won't be taking it abroad with me anyway!

Mike - heard bad things about Snooper speed camera detectors (over sensitive, going off near automatic doors etc), so I don't think I could trust them for Sat Nav...

Al - Yes, a womans sense of direction is always right, assuming she's been told the right place to begin with... when I went to Oxford the other week, my map & route plan from the RAC website was completely inadequate - told me the wrong junction of the M40 to come off at & over simplified negotiating the one way systems... Plus, seeing as we changed hotel from that originally planned, it would've been nice to just jump in the car & tell it to take me somewhere different, not have to spend half an hour sorting another route to the new hotel...

Does the Alpine one send you up private access roads off the M25?? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

As said previously via text nicki - We've had all our road angel navigators back for various problems, The most common of which being "Fatal Exception Errors"

Not had any problems with tomtoms, its the easiest to use by far, and the voices are so much clearer than any other smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Might consider the garmin c310.

I think there as good as the Tom Toms, similar to use, Downloadable speed camera sites, and the added bonus that garmin have been making satnav of various sorts for donkeys years!

ive got tom tom go 300 - which is the only one with just uk maps - its good for what it is, and they are all gonna misdirect ya at somepoint with the speed at which our roads close, open, go one way or other and various other council jollys at road planning!

i will warn you this much nicki about the tom toms , they DO pick up speed cameras BUT THEY DONT pick up SPECS , only reason we know this is cause on our travels to E38 we went through a SPECS system and dave had a tom tom and it never picked them up .

they dont pick up ANY speed cameras... Their programmed into a database by some retard in amsterdam at tomtom head office.

The reason specs are often ignored on these systems, is because 60% of the time they are only temporary cameras.

Get the Tomtom, get the free safety camera POI database and load it on yourself. Its updated monthly, and you don't need to pay the ridiculous subscription charge. Its not there to tell you exactly where every camera will be waiting for you, it's there to tell you there might be one nearby.