20 Years Since Top gear did a lap of the M25

lupo1.0se

I was speaking to a lupo friend and was discussing the idea of doing a lap of the M25 to celebrate 20 years since top gear did the Lupo diesel vs petrol (start at South Mimms like the challenge).

Would anyone be interested?

Video for interest.

• Like 2

Fabulous my loopy is 23 years old this year. Please let me know when you were thinking of doing the run x

Thank you for all your comments. Looking at late June early july

On 2/20/2023 at 11:53 AM, decvalts said:

Is that press car TDI still going, anyone know?

The tdi is around, however it has not been on the road for a while. The sport is officially dead (according to the DVLA)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all

So i thought i'd check in. This is still happening.

Start will be at South Mimms service station. I can be there from 9am to depart at 10am to do the lap. This will give time to fill your car up at the petrol station if required.. Do the lap. Once the lap is done (not getting off at South Mimms) we head to Burger King or Mcdonalds Enfield (parking rules at South Mimms)

On 2/17/2023 at 7:15 PM, lupo1.0se said:

I was speaking to a lupo friend and was discussing the idea of doing a lap of the M25 to celebrate 20 years since top gear did the Lupo diesel vs petrol (start at South Mimms like the challenge).

Would anyone be interested?

Video for interest.

Mapping this engine doesn't damage the fuel economy 60mpg is effortless and when mapped its far quicker than the 100bhp petrol car, I'd like to try it out against a Lupo GTI but no takers

1 hour ago, The Penguin said:

Mapping this engine doesn't damage the fuel economy 60mpg is effortless and when mapped its far quicker than the 100bhp petrol car, I'd like to try it out against a Lupo GTI but no takers

Did you mean to respond to a different thread, as this has nothing to do with this one! 

2 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Did you mean to respond to a different thread, as this has nothing to do with this one! 

2 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

That's your opinion but the fuel consumption of the TDI was the big deal for Clarkson in the video, so perhaps you need to watch it again

13 hours ago, The Penguin said:

That's your opinion but the fuel consumption of the TDI was the big deal for Clarkson in the video, so perhaps you need to watch it again

Where has this got anything to do with mapping the TDI engine? This thread is about arranging a meet to do a trip around the M25, nobody even mentioned doing any mods to any car. And yes, I have watched the review several times, so I do know what it's about....

I'm going to see if I can organise my 3 Lupos to join in. But, being two hours from home plus a two hour lap, turns this into a 6h of driving day. So not sure TBH. There aren't many of us living near to the start-finish point.

8 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Where has this got anything to do with mapping the TDI engine? This thread is about arranging a meet to do a trip around the M25, nobody even mentioned doing any mods to any car. And yes, I have watched the review several times, so I do know what it's about....

Its about a video . . . 

4 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

I don't think I can go now either, I'm working! D'oh!

Sorry to hear that. Maybe another time....

11 hours ago, mk2 said:

I'm going to see if I can organise my 3 Lupos to join in. But, being two hours from home plus a two hour lap, turns this into a 6h of driving day. So not sure TBH. There aren't many of us living near to the start-finish point.

Ok no worries.

On 6/2/2023 at 4:20 PM, The Penguin said:

Its about a video . . . 

Are we watching the same thing? The Top Gear video is comparing the Lupo Sport with a petrol engine against a TDI version, there is no mention of remapping the car or any sort of modifications, so I don't see where you are coming from! 

This thread is about Chris organising a meet-up to celebrate 20 years since that Top gear review, and also has nothing to do with modifying anything in any shape or form? Or am I missing something? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mk2 said:

(4h later) All over by now probably...

So how was it? All the gory detail please.

Ah yes i did do it, no one else came but i was going to do it anyway. So from Junction 23 to clacket lane services went well. Did that in around 50mins, i did stop at clackets. It was after clackets it got bad. So there was congestion, then road works at Junction 10 and finally congestion around heathrow. In the end doing the full loop took 2hrs 50 mins. The delays probably added quite a bit of that time. Around 5:00 of the orignal top gear sums it up really.

Edited by lupo1.0se
  • Like 1