Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

Tigz -There's an iPhone friendly page for viewing MMS' at this address. It ain't free though!

I believe you get it free for 6 months then it's £10 per month afterwards. This is one aspect I need to look into...

Correct.

I assume you can still get access through a wifi spot completely independent of the O2 network - if you can't do that, then it won't meet my needs...

It's just WiFi - O2 don't come into anything to do with it, other than the first time you access an AP by TheCloud you have to enter your mobile number.

I really like the ideal of Apple's MobileMe service, but have to look into the costs of that... Push email and diary would be very helpful in my role.

Same pricing as the existing .Mac as far as I can find out - £59 a year. Pricing info is here.

Adam, if I was you I'd be tempted by a Shuffle if you've got more music on your iTunes than you want on your iPod.

Just plug it in, click 'fill', and it'll randomly fill it up with songs from your iTunes, so you can have a different mix each day. Good if you generally just leave it on shuffle all the time anyway.

Another question...

If I get a foreign iPhone, from a country that makes companies release unlocked versions of phones by law, will it work over here if I put in a Vodafone simcard? Would I lose any useability?

If I get a foreign iPhone, from a country that makes companies release unlocked versions of phones by law, will it work over here if I put in a Vodafone simcard? Would I lose any useability?

It'll work spot on. You won't get visual voicemail if you're not on O2, but I think that's about it.

Phil, I already have a 1st gen 1GB Shuffle, which i suppose will be with me when i'm out on the bike just incase i go over my handle bars :lol:

I will probably use the new ipod in the car and in my room, in a dock most of the time, come to think about it.

Why are Apple using what looks to be their own (shitty) artwork for some older movies, on their download service?

It's becoming a pet hate :wacko:

Nicki is excited that it is now just over 1 week until the new iPhone comes out. :D

Me too, I think I might take the plunge and get one.

Anybody know what the deal is with bluetooth on the 3g version?

Can you send files like you can with most other phones or is it restricted to use with handsfree kits?

Me too, I think I might take the plunge and get one.

Anybody know what the deal is with bluetooth on the 3g version?

Can you send files like you can with most other phones or is it restricted to use with handsfree kits?

I haven't read anything yet that says its different to the first gen iPhone, so it will probably still be just for handsfree kits sadly.

The iTunes App store is now up following the arrival of iTunes 7.7.

There is a Facebook app and an Apple Remote app which lets you control your iTunes library over WiFi from an iPhone or iPod touch. Nifty. There are also games up there, but nothing that grabs me enough to spend money as yet. X-Wing or Doom would make me very happy.

Thought I would put this in the general Apple thread rather than the iPhone threads dotted about.

There is a 'Mac OSX Update for MobileMe' out now, although apparently not just yet as I don't see anything when I run software update. Obviously its only important if you are a .Mac/MobileMe subscriber too.

I've got a tracking number :D

Are you expecting it tomorrow then.

There has been a rumor going around that some people might not get their online orders tomorrow, although O2 deny it. Hope everyone does get them!

Are you expecting it tomorrow then.

There has been a rumor going around that some people might not get their online orders tomorrow, although O2 deny it. Hope everyone does get them!

More hoping than expecting... although my Mum has just announced she's going out tomorrow afternoon. :blink:

For all those that want Firmware 2.0 before tomorrow:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/10/iphone-...re-2-0-is-live/

Yeah, I saw that. Not sure I want to install something someone found while poking around on Apple servers though.

I can wait until its in Software Update I think. :o

Does anyone, Joe, Jon, know how you get the MobileMe update for OSX? Theres nowt in Software update and nothing when you click on the .Mac pref panel in system prefs, which is where its supposed to pop out from asking you to download it.

Other than that, MobileMe on the iPhone is very impressive, loving the push email.

I'm not sure to be honest, because to quote this Mac Rumors page:

A MobileMe Updater for Mac OS X can be found in your Software Update:

The Mac OS X Update For MobileMe is recommended for users running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 and includes general system fixes that enhance your Mac for MobileMe.

For detailed information about MobileMe, please visit this website: http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

Unless it's been pulled from there. I know Me.com is up and down all the time.

• 6 months later...