Clayton's Tornado Red GTI..

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I'm back from what can only be described as one of the best trips ever. The weather was perfect! I covered 1273 miles in total, 6 laps of the Ring and the car didn't miss a beat. It continues to

Well i’m back from a long weekend at the Nürburgring, if you have never been I highly advise you to go. The most incredible place i’ve ever been, a petrol heads dream! The Lupo performed faultlessly a

Update time, got hold of a set of OZ Superleggera’s, the lightest 15” wheel available. Had them finished in a Satin anthracite which i think looks fantastic. Wrapped in Yokohama AD08R’s, they are goin

Posted Images

I've been testing a new airbox from a company called Sprogley Motorsport the last few months. It replaced my BMC airbox which had nothing wrong with it but Sprogley got in touch and said he's sure he can make a better design than the BMC. So he sent me one out before my first Nurburgring trip this year, the car definitely had more induction noise so it was giving that placebo affect that it must be making more power lol. 

Yesterday I went to where Sprogley is based and to the local dyno to test it out. We tried to make the test as fair as possible, we let the car idle for 5 mintues before we tested each filter and we done 3 runs with each. The only thing that isn't 100% accuarate is that the BMC filter wasn't brand new but it has always been cleaned and maintained properly.

We tested 5 different filters and the results were -

SM Airbox - 169.9bhp / 159.0lb/ft
SM Pro Airbox - 169.1bhp  / 154lb/ft
BMC CDA - 165.8bhp / 154.7lb/ft
eBay Airbox - 165.2bhp / 154.2lb/ft
Ramair Open Cone - 163bhp / 146lb/ft (dropped down to 158bhp over 3 runs due to heatsoak)

I was rather happy myself that the car made a healthy 169bhp and 159lb/ft. That's 42bhp and 47lb/ft more than stock!

Successful day for Sprogley too, he said at the start of the day that he would be happy if it matched the figuers of the BMC because his product if about £70-£80 cheaper and is more appealing to the eye. 

He vlog'd the whole day so once he edits and uploads the video, ill be sure to post it in here :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpudonnuWqA&ab_channel=ClaytonJones

After 8 years of ownership, you must be getting to a point now where the car is perfect? I'd say that there isn't a lot more you could do now other than radical stuff. And the car is still pretty much stock other than carefully considered tweaks and improvements. Tell us what you're thinking? It's a gorgeous machine now and the envy of everyone on here. 👍🏻

Have you had it valued (for insurance purposes- just in case...)? I'd guess maybe 7k?

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

After 8 years of ownership, you must be getting to a point now where the car is perfect? I'd say that there isn't a lot more you could do now other than radical stuff. And the car is still pretty much stock other than carefully considered tweaks and improvements. Tell us what you're thinking? It's a gorgeous machine now and the envy of everyone on here. 👍🏻

Have you had it valued (for insurance purposes- just in case...)? I'd guess maybe 7k?

Yeah it’s getting there, it will never be perfect to me but it’s close. Still a few things I’d like to do, Alcantara door cards to get rid of the horrible material on the standard ones. 

Appreciate that👍🏼 It’s been valued with the my insurance for £7500.