A warning to all those with stretched tyres...

KaiserWill

Meeting up with our local VW club tonight, and by chance a traffic officer turns up. The first question he asks if any of us have stretched tyres... Apparently he had just been on a training course regarding some new laws... Stretched tyres are now becoming an offence for which you can now be punished... At a rate of £60 of fines and 3 points... PER TYRE! Not sure if this was scare tactics or truth, but the guy seemed very reasonable otherwise... Just a word of warning...

Will

Can't see why if they are within manufacturer specs. Obviously there are people running theirs outside that, but most should be ok.

I would say that most 'stretched' tyres are outside the manufacturer limits. most people with 165/50 are running them outside the limit!

By law they need to publish these new laws as people dont know about them, so pulling you over and giving you a hefty fine and points for the first offence is abit harsh as you didnt know... I say bull****!

3 points per tyre...lol...I call bull**** there, surely you can't count it as separate offences. The 5-0 can already do you if the tyres are stretched over the manufacturer's limit...which I think is anything less than 195 on a 7J. Basically comes down to whether the officer in question deems it dangerous...so be nice ;)

Really? I thought bald tyres were done on a per tyre basis?

You would be prosecuted for however many tyres were below the limit, however the punishment imposed would not be more than tha maximum it would be for a single offence.

So if you get 'done' for 4 bald tyres, you would get done 4 times, however you would still only get 3 points. The magistrates wouldnt take too kindly too it though, andwould probably give you a higher fine than you would expect for a single offence

Hmmm im confused!

Ive got NS2's, 155s over a 6j rim...when i bought them and received them i was surprised as to how the tire wall looked stretched even though it was brand new and never been near a wheel....

6818600889_cd8135d305.jpg

New Rubber! by Ralphoto!, on Flickr

This is how they sit on the wheels...so could i be done for stretch by this law thats been pooped out by some copper?

6883077427_36f048e48b.jpg

Small Stretch! by Ralphoto!, on Flickr