Lupo Race Build

truCido

Cheers dude :) She's going really well actually, apart from the head gasket and needing a service and the gear selector cable shes been spot on really....although I think I'm going to have to play with the gearbox a little, probably just the final drive though hopefully!

Edited by truCido

• 4 weeks later...

Race Report 30th August

So I had another race today, started off with qualifying this morning at 11am, had a good session and managed to put it some good times the best being 1.28.000 which put me in 5th in class (7 total) and 26th overall (28 total) but with a 1.2 sec improvement on my personal best around Combe and VERY close to Jamie in his Alfa.

The start of the race was delayed due to a previous accident where a Aston Martin climbed the tyres out of Quarry and sat on top!

In the actual race I got a really good start and managed to get around Jamie and a few others but they had the straight line speed so most made it in front of me out of Quarry and out of the Esses but I managed to keep Jamie behind and we tussled a bit and with him behind me I put in my fastest lap on lap 3 and got a 1.27.2!!!!! Next lap I overcooked it a bit in the Esses and Jamie got the power out and took the inside line into Tower and had the inside line for Bobbies I followed him really closely for another lap and then came in to Bobbies too quickly and span, and knocked my wheel on the corner of the rumble strip (you'll hear the bang in the vid) and then you'll see in the vid me "testing" my steering coming out of quarry after the spin, there was something wrong for sure with the steering... For the rest of the race I seemed to struggle a little bit but still put in some decent times. After the race I got pulled in and got pulled over to be sound checked :s apparently I'd been hitting 98db on track (100db limit) but I'm well under for the normal sound check (88db, max of 105db lol). Driving around the paddock the steering felt quite "sloppy" and then when I pulled into my gazebo and got out found that I'd taken a chunk out of my drivers side wheel, so I'm guessing I've knocked the tracking out or broken something as well.

Anyway overall I had a really good day and very happy with the Lupo even though I may have battered it a little bit :)

In Car Vid

Lap Times

1 - 1:42.390

2 - 1:27.355

3 - 1:27.283

4 - 1:29.629

5 - 1:42.123

6 - 1:30.561

7 - 1:28.864

8 - 1:29.400

9 - 1:29.923

10 - 1:28.576

11 - 1:28.724

_MG_2151.jpg

Photo courtesy of Chablonkski from http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/forum/

Looks at home on the track. Sounds mean as hell, obviously taking the sound deadening out makes it louder, though have you fitted the decat pipe?

Cheers Dave.

Pete

I was running the decat pipe but I now have a full custom system with a cat, I'm still not clear on weather I need a cat or not. It depends on the production date of the car, if it was before 31/12/1999 then I can run a decat. The car was registered on something like the 15th Jan 2000 so chances are it was produced way before that but I can't find anything to confirm it!

Thanks Jowey :) Will sound better with the cams and throttle bodies I hope :P

----

My brothers taken this wheel to work today and balanced it up, he's found its very slightly bent and wasn't balanced, so he's balanced it up and if I can't get another alloy in time then it will be fine to run on the rear.

7c01f801.jpg

8ae3406b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just realised I haven't updated!!

2nd October Race Meeting

The last race day of the season sprung up quickly. We arrived in the morning and I signed on and then took the car straight down to scrutineering where one of the scruinteers pulled on my electrical cut off switch and well couldn’t pull it. So we were sent away and told to fix it, panic mode set in and I had a quick look around a few other cars to see there setups and then asked Rich Marsh how he did his and his had also happened to fail scrutineering on a similar reason!! Rich found an electrical socket (the metal bracket that sits in the wall) in his van and kindly donated it to my race car, thanks Rich!!! Anyway we got it in and screwed it to the dash, sprayed nearly a whole can of WD40 down into the pull cord and it worked a treat. Returned to scrutineering to be told I needed to make it more secure by putting a bolt through it, ok fair enough I was in a rush and should have done it in the first place. So back we went, borrowed a drill from a college race team that run formula fords in exchange for a 9v battery and returned to scruineering and was then given the go!! Panic over!!

Before heading out we adjusted the tyre pressures and topped the oil up as it was getting a little low and then headed down to queue up for qualifying.

It was a little greasy out and I ended up sideways coming through Camp but held on to it, the car felt good however as I was heading up to Avon Rise the oil light came on and the engine made a few funny crunching noises so I pulled off towards the marshalls post on the inside of Quarry and the car cut out half way across the grass (to be honest I might have stalled it) started it again and drove towards them and shut it off. The marshalls thought they could see oil but I wasn’t so sure so they called for a flat bed but I was told I would ave to wait till after the next qualifying session as they were trying to catch up on time as there had been a previous delay. So on the flat bed it went, now I know how a driver feels when everyones watching as there cars loaded up onto the flatbed and being filmed as well lol!! Got back into the paddock and we checked the car over and couldn’t figure out what was wrong standing still so started the engine which is where every now and then we could hear the crunch. Sounds like big end bearings which isn’t that big an issue but not something we could fix then and there so that was it

I did a 1:28.922 in qualifying on my 2nd lap which put me in my “normal” position which I was quite happy with but unfortunately had to head home

Thanks to everyone for all there help and support this year and everyone thats helped out at the track. Would like to say thanks to South West In Car Tech and Infinity Exhausts for there sponsorship!

My brother and I removed the engine this weekend as its going away for a little bit of work :)

gettingthere.jpg

inbits.jpg

beforeremoval.jpg

gearbox.jpg

gearboxoff.jpg

engine.jpg

engineout.jpg

Oh dear. Those pull cables are total crap, you need to grease the **** out of them to stop them seizing.

What tyre pressures do you run out of interest?

Any other plans for the engien other than repair? Baffled sump is probably a very good idea.

Are you going to junk the power steering?

Yeah I've been looking at electrical ones but there expensive!

I was running 24/25, cant for the life of me remember which way round though :s

yeah definitely a few little "tweaks" happening...race head, lightened + balanced flywheel / crank, cams, tb's

funny you mention the power steering actually!! I mentioned it when removing the engine and its on my to do list, unless you can say which car comes without a power steering rack off the top of your head? :D

Yeah I've been looking at electrical ones but there expensive!

I was running 24/25, cant for the life of me remember which way round though :s

yeah definitely a few little "tweaks" happening...race head, lightened + balanced flywheel / crank, cams, tb's

funny you mention the power steering actually!! I mentioned it when removing the engine and its on my to do list, unless you can say which car comes without a power steering rack off the top of your head? :D

Oh rite, i was expecting much higher pressures, but i guess there is alot of heat build up with basically road tyres, and Combe is very bumpy.

I wouldn't bother with a electical cut off, the solinoids are heavy and expensive, wiring is not very simple either.

Power steering, some Lupo's must have come without it? It's on ETKA that some didn't, same rack as a 6N Polo, you might find the PAS rack has a quicker ratio though, some modifying that maybe better.

Like the sound of the engine work.

Yeah I spoke to a few other guys, however for all races I used the same set of tyres with full tread, which is not ideal, especially when all the races were dry races :s so thats also on my shopping list for next year.

hmmm something I need to look into for sure!!

Yeah I'm really excited about the engine work, just scared of the ££ lol

• 2 weeks later...