Nicki's House

Nicki

• 3 weeks later...

Minor update for you:

New sockets on (with under cupboard lighting):

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

... and I *think* I've chosen the paint for the walls & woodwork - darker colour for the woodwork and the lighter one for the walls:

new3.jpg

• 6 months later...

Been a while since I posted an update - not much more progress really, although the kitchen is finished and we've started work on the spare room now...

Here's Dad doing a little bit of plumbing work in the kitchen, fitting the new towel radiator:

104.jpg

105.jpg

Apparently, the best way to test a smoke detector is to set fire to something... although preferably not the wallpaper... (note the lazy decorating in the 2nd photo!)

106.jpg

107.jpg

Kitchen is now finished - here's the fridge finally in place:

108.jpg

Oh & here's the colour I went for in the end:

109.jpg

Bought some garden furniture with my birthday money, just a shame I've only had a couple of opportunities to use it so far:

110.jpg

Started work on the spare bedroom a couple of weekends ago - started by taking out the fitted wardrobes:

111.jpg

There was some damage in the corner of the room, so we started cleaning it up to make good... no idea what they were thinking, but apparently the logical way to fill a crater in a wall is to use expanding foam... :blink:

112.jpg

Then went round with the polyfilla. While we were doing that, we noticed some paint flaking off...

113.jpg

Ever started something & wished you hadn't?!?

114.jpg

Took the radiator off and discovered some more really lazy decorating by the previous owners:

(That bowl of murky water is the contents of the radiator - well, about 75% of it, the other 25% ended up over me - Thanks Dad!)

115.jpg

Next was paint stripping time... Leaning in Nitromors by accident is pretty painful! Still, 3 tins of paint stripper later & it's done!

Uncovered a pretty interesting colour scheme while stripping paint... apparently at some point the skirting was Kermit-the-Frog green and the architrave was Miss Piggy pink... :blink:

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

Oh & it would appear that the coving must've been turquoise. Based on the number of layers of paint we stripped back, it must've been at the same time. :huh:

Previous owners really were lazy with their DIY - they decided the best way to make a fitted wardrobe fit would be to cut a hole in the cove and build the cupboard into it:

119.jpg

Still, its a good thing my Dad is good at repairing these things:

120.jpg

Oh & I've started work on removing / covering up the Mondrian too:

121.jpg

They're the best Nic! Mine is happy providing I keep him topped up with tea & biscuits! :D

(Although he wasn't my favourite person when he sprayed me with the contents of the radiator or when he set fire to the wallpaper in the hall doing the plumbing for the towel radiator! :lol:)

DIY and dads just go together in most cases so well.

They are doing you huge favours whilst most probably enjoying themselves doing man stuff :shades: :shades: :shades:

:lol: That is one of his better DIY shirts. Think that particular shirt is about as old as I am... :lol:

(He's also still got his wedding shirt, which is 35 years old now - it's been relegated to the DIY pile and is covered in paint / shoe dye / varnish now though!)

• 7 months later...

Realised it's been quite a while since I posted an update. Progress on the spare room has been pretty slow due to various reasons and is only just getting to a finished stage. Just some boxes left to unpack and curtains to buy now!

Cupboard rebuilding continues - replaced the hanging rails with shelves as it's going to be much more useful that way. We've been quite clever though, we've put holes in the back corner of every shelf and a whole in the side to pass cables through so I've put my printer and various other computer bits in the cupboard out of the way. :)

122.jpg

Can't remember if I mentioned it before, but when my office was refurbished they replaced the kitchen and had half a length of worktop left over which I asked if I could have as it was just going to be thrown away. We've turned it into a desk in the spare room:

123.jpg

Remember the Mondrian? This is what it looks like now:

124.jpg

There's a bit of a gap in the photos at this point, which is what happens when you've still got everything in boxes - including the charger for your camera battery! :lol:

So, DFS sale - does anyone ever pay full price for a DFS sofa? - Sofabed "web exclusive" and a bargain at that, especially interest free over 4 years! Delivered last week - only 3 weeks after I ordered it:

125.jpg

The cupboard now has doors back on it, hiding the shelves - cupboard doors that are now hung straight!

126.jpg

Dragged Dad to Ikea a few weeks ago - his first ever trip. I think he coped admirably! :lol: We both had holiday to use up so we took a day off rather than risking a trip to Ikea at the weekend! Spent the morning buying flat pack and the afternoon arguing over how to build it... Once it was up, I was finally able to start emptying some of the boxes that I've been living around for the last 18 months:

127.jpg

This is all that remains of boxes waiting to be unpacked - getting there! (Although I realised that there's actually quite a lot of stuff still at my Mum & Dad's house which I'll need to pick up at some point...)

128.jpg

To finish... this is what happens when you spend 18 months putting bills & statements in boxes once they're paid. You end up with one almighty paperwork pile to sift through. This is the start of the organisation of it all - Step 1: Put it in piles by type (Work/bank/house/car etc)

129.jpg

Next job - back garden. Have spent 2 days clearing it so far. Will get some photos this weekend. It's another big job as I don't do things by half! ;)