Nicki's House

Nicki

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update...

Started removing the kitchen by getting shot of the wood cladding in the kitchen, to reveal this:

woodclad.jpg

woodclad2.jpg

Andi - does that colour look familiar? :lol:

The missing bits of plaster are a result of the wood cladding being glued to the walls. Joy. Good thing I've got a friend who's a plasterer!

Kitchen cupboards and worktops are being extended round the corner so we're putting some new sockets in off the ring main as well as some lighting above the cupboards, which will have a switch spur above the worktop. Had to remove the first few tiles to make room for the socket:

firsttiles.jpg

As for the sockets - cue a lot of chasing, plenty of noise & a heap load of dust:

channels.jpg

channelmess.jpg

That was last weekends work. Yesterdays effort was to wire them up and make good with coarse plaster:

madegood1.jpg

Todays efforts was to chase up to the wall for the over-cupboard lighting - removed the first couple of old cupboards to make us a bit more working room:

cupboard.jpg

Once we'd chased up the wall, we did a bit more making good (also gave the other sockets a bit of polyfilla):

madegood2.jpg

Have moved the vast majority of my stuff into the house now - although not unpacked any of it yet as don't have any furniture or shelves or anything to unpack into! Means my lounge looks like this now:

movingin.jpg

Dad also decided to leave a mark in my kitchen. Never mind his skinned knuckle, what about my worktop?!? :lol:

dadblood.jpg

Have chosen my floor tiles for the kitchen now - going for these:

M1064_1_040434%20trav%20filled%20&%20honed.jpg

Filled & honed travertine.

Have also picked my wall tiles too - going for these:

M965_1_81112%20Met%20Cream.jpg

In a brick pattern like this:

M965_2_MetroC811123%20(Large).jpg

But with a border of pale blue glass tiles - 2 rows of cream, row of small blue border tiles & then 2 rows of cream above.

Originally I wanted all blue, but they're hard to find in anything other than glass, which work out to cost a small fortune!

Getting there. :D

P.S Also ordered my bedroom furniture today and bought a Christmas tree! :lol:

Progressing well, i also like the brick tiles.

Guess you didnt know its against the rules to run cables horrizontal like that, never mind ide have still done it anyway. :wacko:

There's a couple of public toilets in Darlo with those tiles if you want to pinch a few one night? :)

What would I do with 'a few' tiles? :lol:

I'm sure our house has horizontal and diagonal cables, and it was only built a couple of years ago. Naughty.

Guess you didnt know its against the rules to run cables horrizontal like that, never mind ide have still done it anyway. :wacko:

I hope to God nobody looks at ours then. Our kitchen light is a bit like the one Top Cat cleans his teeth by.

(younger readers my have to look that up)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update :D

Here's how the stripping progress was a couple of weeks ago...

stripping.jpg

Mum came round and stripped the tiles off for me:

tilesgone.jpg

Stripping kitchens is dangerous to your health - after Dad bleeding on my kitchen the other day, it was my turn:

blood.jpg

My friend Steve at work's Dad is a plasterer and he came round to tidy up the missing plaster where the tiles used to be:

plastered.jpg

Dad lifting the lino for me - heat guns rule.

floor.jpg

Notice anything wrong here?

oops.jpg

(I had an argument with a copper pipe at a funny angle... and the copper pipe won.)

Had to make some space for the new kitchen to be delivered:

space2.jpg

space.jpg

... and the deliveries arrived today - kitchen is being fitted next week, starting Monday...

kitchen1.jpg

kitchen2.jpg

Whoop! B)

Haha! :lol: Good spot!

That's my Mum & Dad's spare 1980's spec ebay rare electrolux that is currently on loan to me so my nice shiny new dyson remains nice, shiny & new! (Didn't want to kill the dyson with brick dust & building crap just yet...)

Kitchen update:

Day 1

Top cupboards went up first:

day10.jpg

Kitchen is now U shaped rather than L shaped, so these are the new corner cupboards & the small cupboard over the fridge/freezer:

day11.jpg

First base units:

day12.jpg

Day 2

Door handles on, makes it look like so much more complete!

day20.jpg

day21.jpg

Sink unit now in:

day22.jpg

Day 3

Worktops done & sink now in - although not plumbed in yet:

day30.jpg

No cooker or hob yet - just a load of power tools!

day31.jpg

Worktops & the new corner units:

day32.jpg

Carosel *just* cleared the soil pipe - makes a much better use of the space:

day33.jpg

Day 4 - Final Day

Sink plumbed in, cupboard door handles on, pipe work tidied up:

finished.jpg

Top cupboards in & done, cooker hood up & cornice/plinths/lightrails all done:

finished0.jpg

Cooker & hob in:

finished1.jpg

Corner cupboard finished off, boxed inside around the soil pipe. Shelves in:

finished2.jpg

Bridging unit that will go over the top of the fridge/freezer - just a bit of extra storage for me:

finished3.jpg

Plenty of space left for my fridge/freezer:

finished4.jpg

There's 2 doors missing in these pics, the one over the cooker hood and the one above the fridge because 1 was the wrong style and 1 was damaged. About 10 mins after the builders went, ParcelForce turned up with the replacements... but, the guys turned round & came back to fit them so they wouldn't have to come back again today.

B&Q were fab the whole way through - the guy who designed it was ace, the surveyor was ace and the fitters could not have been better. Father & son team and they had such a good relationship with each other. I've had a right laugh this week with them here! Been working from home this week while they installed the kitchen and the banter has been hilarious! :lol:

I've definitely been lucky with the people I got to fit my kitchen - I've got friends who've had no end of problems with B&Q.

I'm really chuffed with the kitchen :) Next job is tiling (i've bought the tiles but need to find someone to fit them - don't fancy doing it myself), then painting :)

• 1 month later...

Time for an update :)

New light fittings in the lounge - match the sofa and give me a whole lot more than the ones that were there before:

83.jpg

New floor lamp in the lounge, with dimmer. Took 3 trips to B&Q to actually get it fully functional though unfortunately. :rolleyes:

84.jpg

Surround sound setup now - just the wii to unpack :) Hopefully gonna buy the bookcase that matches the TV unit at somepoint and put it in the corner next to the TV stand.

85.jpg

New light fitting for the kitchen:

86.jpg

The two missing doors from the last update:

87.jpg

88.jpg

The floor, in all its bare concretey glory...

89.jpg

Tiling - whoop! (Although grouting to do and spacers still there)

90.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

... and floor tiles! :) (Again with cleaning, sealing, grouting, cleaning & sealing to do)

93.jpg

94.jpg

P.S Part P certificates for the gas & electrickery have arrived safely - even with my horizontal wiring. ;)