Nicki's House

Nicki

The Mondrian is cool, but its not my style really. Spare room is going very clean & clear - white walls, blue carpet, blue curtains & white bed linen. Its going to be my home office as well as my spare room. :)

As for the shed - its a summer house rather than a shed and it belongs to Helen, my 87 year old next door neighbour! :D She's adorable. Her whole house is really chintzy homely old fashioned cuteness. :)

Yeah it's the olds you have to watch most but we can forgive her as she knows not of the sin she is committing. We have a really old

summerhouse in our back garden its about 1912. Originally when it was at the house my mum lived at when she was younger

it was on a rotating table so you could turn it to follow the sun. They don't make em like they use to.

Word of warning with blue carpet it can make a room very dark even if it has got white walls, certainly avoid dark blue if you want

a nice bright room as it has the light reflecting properties of a black hole :(

Why do you want to move into an unfinished house if you have the option of living with your folks til you're finished the decorating? Living in a building site is the worst thing ever!

I think I've mentioned this before, but when we moved into our house we had two rooms that were 'decorated', meaning they had flooring and undercoat on the walls. The rest of the rooms were bare plaster and flooring, or breezeblock. We had no hot running water and only one cold water tap. The landing was made of scaffolding planks and I had built the staircase. And we didn't have a front door.

Roughing it is for winners!

I think I've mentioned this before, but when we moved into our house we had two rooms that were 'decorated', meaning they had flooring and undercoat on the walls. The rest of the rooms were bare plaster and flooring, or breezeblock. We had no hot running water and only one cold water tap. The landing was made of scaffolding planks and I had built the staircase. And we didn't have a front door.

Is that in your current place Phil? Last time i checked you lived in footballer style mansion or did i make that up? My parents (and me for a while) lived in a building site for over 8 years and it was ace. Annoying though when your bedroom is in the bathroom and you wake up in the middle of the night on christmas day to see your dad sat on the loo :lol:

I'm very excited about investing in bricks and mortar someday. Until then we'll have to be content with paying someone else's mortgage. And her pocket money :rolleyes:

Word of warning with blue carpet it can make a room very dark even if it has got white walls, certainly avoid dark blue if you want

a nice bright room as it has the light reflecting properties of a black hole :(

It has a black lino type flooring at the mo, so blue will be an improvement! Not going to have it too dark - just something a bit better than what is there at the mo. If all else fails, it can just have an oatmeal carpet like the rest of the house :lol:

Why do you want to move into an unfinished house if you have the option of living with your folks til you're finished the decorating? Living in a building site is the worst thing ever!

It'll give me more time to do stuff of an evening before Dad gets home from work. Dad & I will still be spending our evenings & weekends working on the house (especially as the kitchen is being fitted in mid December) and I'll spend my time between the two houses. Obviously, while the kitchen is out of action, I'll be at Mum & Dads!

Absolutely! :D Gonna spend my first night round there this week as I can't leave it empty for more than 30 days at a time for the insurance. Unfortunately, that'll be before the bed has arrived and I'll be sleeping in the spare room surrounded by boxes, doors and junk!

Absolutely! :D Gonna spend my first night round there this week as I can't leave it empty for more than 30 days at a time for the insurance. Unfortunately, that'll be before the bed has arrived and I'll be sleeping in the spare room surrounded by boxes, doors and junk!

is it not occupied while your working in it???

Time for another update:

Remember the shoe cupboard that looked horrible and needed sanding back? It looks like this now:

IMG_1243.jpg

Wardrobe looks like this too:

IMG_1241.jpg

Its so much lighter in there now we've painted the underside of the top shelf!

Last bit of the plain wallpaper to go up:

IMG_1242.jpg

Spare room is already a junk room:

IMG_1236.jpg

Finished washing up everything and now the cupboards look like someone lives there!

IMG_1232.jpg

Woo for empty boxes:

IMG_1235.jpg

(Although they're all coming back to the parents house to be filled up again... *So* much packing & unpacking left to do!)

Had the day off work today to wait in for a load of deliveries etc, now have the following:

A bed - whoop!

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

A stand for the TV (with Sky+HD box as Sky came today too!)

IMG_1264.jpg

My dining table - although it doesn't have its legs on yet...

IMG_1266.jpg

Oh and the most important purchase ;) :

IMG_1265.jpg

Dining table now has legs:

IMG_1267.jpg

(This is it opened out fully - it folds in half to a smaller table too but I've got to leave it open for the first few weeks according to the leaflet that came with it)

Oh & the TV is finally out the box and on the stand, although still not switched it on yet... :lol:

IMG_1268.jpg

Im back at work now Nicki.... let me know when you want sky sorting out.

x

Well Done Nicki! The progress is good! Keep going, It'll be done soon! :)

A stand for the TV (with Sky+HD box as Sky came today too!)

IMG_1264.jpg

Looks like your too late!

x

Cheers for the offer Putney, but I got it sorted while you were away.

Got a Sky+HD box for free, my best friend gets £50 in M&S vouchers and it's all installed and ready to go... Just need to activate my card and wait for the phone line to be installed. :)

Sofa arrived this morning (8am this morning... Urgh)

sofa.jpg

It looks quite red in the pic, but its actually a plum/aubergine colour.

Recliner arm chair to match:

chair.jpg

(I've sorted out the crumpled cushion, fear not... :lol:)

I've had some swatches of fabric from a company that does dining chairs to order and this is the closest I could find to match the sofa... not sure if it might be too pinky or not?

swatch.jpg

My fridge freezer arrived today too (aka my birthday present from my parents!)

fridge.jpg

It's sitting in the hall for now as I thought there wasn't any point putting it in the kitchen to move it back out again in about 3 weeks time while we do the prep work for the new kitchen. It can stay in the hall til the kitchen is done and I'll move it in then. (Well, I say "i'll" move it in, I mean Dad will. :lol:)

Cleaned the fridge from head to toe, inside and out and I've gotta say, I know this makes the shelves stronger but it's a real pain to clean & dry! :lol:

bottom.jpg

Oh & this is what the table looks like closed up:

table.jpg

Really getting there now though - actually looks like a house at last!

Will post pics of my bedroom tomorrow - vinyl wallpaper has had 2 coats of paint now and the patterned paper is going up tomorrow. Carpet is being fitted on Monday. :)

Still not ordered any bedroom furniture yet though...

Got a bit sidetracked and kept forgetting to take my camera round to show the progress in my room! Vinyl wallpaper on 3 walls painted and the 4th wall is now papered with the flowery paper. Carpet now fitted too and bed in.

IMG_1283.jpg

Next step - bedroom furniture!

Had the lads & lasses from work around last night as a halloween housewarming party and spent the whole of today cleaning! :lol: Will be starting the removal of the old kitchen next... new one coming 14th Dec. :D