GTI Owners Only!!

99hjhm

Just for a laugh.....

How many have been lucky enough to shed out £40 at VW for a new light or repaired the old one?? Mine was noticed at the MOT last week not working.

Numerous times......

The one i have now is knackered but still works. I cant be bothered to do another one, although i filled my spoiler with expanding foam so hopefully when i change it next it will never leak and brake again!

John

Mine didnt work when i bought the car, no intention of changin. Paints bubbled slightly on the spoiler anyway so wen i eventually get round 2 sortin that might be an excuse 2 get the 3rd brake light smoothed out.

:lol:

mine went about a month ago. got a new 1 in the boot but still haven't put it on yet! i heard these things are a pain in the arse and can mess up quite often and mentioned from people up there ^^^ lol

Mines ok after 5 years, but I noticed one of the little lights that light up your rear number plate had fallen out and was dangling by its wire. Great.

Yup, I have a saggy number plate light too. Have a replacement one of those too, but haven't fitted that yet either! :lol:

When you change the spoiler brake light, I put two layers of double side foam trim tape around the edge of the spoiler to seal it to the tailgate when bolted back down, as the water can otherwise gets under between the join which to cause of all the problems again.

Did mine 2 years ago now and it is still perfect and no water appears or mists up in the brake light casing as it did before.

VW used a crap seal which over the years or from days one was never a good, but is curable as I have found :)

This is really a design defect. Mine went a while back (along with bubbles in the spoiler). I got it redone by a dealer at a not insignificant cost (although VW contributed a bit).

I knew it would happen again, so I kept going back every couple of months (as the part and labour were covered for two years) showing the paint bubble and the water in the brakelight. They'd take it off, dry it or replace it, respray spoiler as necessary.

In the end they got fed up, replaced all the parts, and did their own proper (non-vw) sealing job on the spoiler.

Never had a problem since.

I think mines had 3. The original, one before I bought the car and I've fitted one.

Unfortunatly its full of condensation again so will need replacing soon. :(

Crap design.....!

Mine went today! :( Is the only was to get a new one from VW or whats involved doing it yourself?

Not much... two bolts that hold the spoiler on, then 3 nuts for the light. Only thing is the connector multiplug corrodes away, you can repair the old one, there is a guide on here somewhere..... My light is faded, and I'm re-spraying the spoiler anyway.

How did you know it went today?? I thought that, but when I got the old one off, Looks like it's been gone years..... So much for giving it a hopeful tap at the MOT.

How did you know it went today?? I thought that, but when I got the old one off, Looks like it's been gone years..... So much for giving it a hopeful tap at the MOT.

My colleague in work drove it round the car park yesterday to have a listen (Ive got wheel troubles atm lol) and pulled back infront of me and it was all good. My sister spotted me pulling onto the drive earlier and said it was out :( just my luck!

I'll go have a nose for that post though, see if it involves basic enough skills that I can do it, otherwise I'll be off to VW :D

Cheers!

Whilest stripping mine down for paint i noticed the spoiler had had a dodgy hole drilled and two dodgy crimps fitted so must have had work done in the past. The spoiler didnt even have the bolts at each end and was held on with carpet tape, a classy repair or what haha