Rust on Roof

s2000king

yeah would def try some other dealers!

did they show you proof that it only had 6 year warranty?

sounds like they dont want to do the work.

Beat you to it bud lol, sorry to steal your thunder :D

Sound advice though...

Cheers, James.

no didn't see any proof! the guy went to his office and printed out a couple of pieces of paper one with details of my car and one with details of my boyfriends polo! he told us that they were both under a 6 year warranty!

i might try and ring them! does anyone know of anywhere where it's written down online? or is it in the car hand book any where? sorry if this has already been asked! it'll take me forever to look through the 14 pages!

thanks for the advice guys!!

That's probably where he is going wrong, i know for a fact the Polo's (my shape below) and older shapes only have 6 years, but the Lupo has a different start to the chassis number. Vehicles that have a chassis number that begins with 6N (the Polo) are 6 years and vehicles beginning with a 6X (the Lupo/Arosa etc) are 12 years and i know that that is a fact, so he can't argue. If he does just threaten to ring and confirm with VW on the phone and i'm sure he might come round again.

I say again the information above is 100% correct, so don't let him win!!!! :D lol

Hope this helps!!! :P

Mine is still ongoing - afer going to York twice or them to take pictures, they say they will need the car for an afternoon to take more pics. Aparantly the pics they have taken are not good enough and keep being rejected, I dont know why, its not as it you can see it!

I originally went there for the first set of pics in October!

Mine is still ongoing - afer going to York twice or them to take pictures, they say they will need the car for an afternoon to take more pics. Aparantly the pics they have taken are not good enough and keep being rejected, I dont know why, its not as it you can see it!

I originally went there for the first set of pics in October!

Damn man, i'd make complaints on that, VW head office might be able to help further perhaps, if not hurry things along a bit, but keep the name of the guy your dealing with to hand and the name of the dealer and i'm sure a complaint in the right direction might get the ball rolling. :D

Cheers, James.

That's fair enough mate, just seemed like a long time to be waiting, you would have thought the customers interests and time were important nowadays, but obviously not in your case.

Hope it gets sorted soon though!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Here is some information to back up your cases:

Body protection warranty

All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration (6 years for the Sharan models).

The only preconditions are:

• The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network as soon as it is discovered and within the warranty period.
  • The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external rusting.
  • A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network must be advised about any rusting as soon as it is found.
  • All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer's specification and procedures, using only approved parts and materials, so the original level of anti-corrosion protection is maintained.

Taken from: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty/factory/terms

Hi there, many thanks for the information you have provided. It has been added to the first post and you have been credited for providing the information. Will be very handy for people to know.

Just a bit of extra info, the reason the Sharan I exempt is because it is made alongside the Ford Galaxy so therefore could be "contaminated" with inferior metals a warranty man at my VW said to me when I took mine in....bloody Fords lol :P

Thanks again!!

James.

• 2 weeks later...

Worth a go mate, the worst they can say is no. I know a couple of people have had it done, but very few, so be prepared for refusal....

Mine has been accepted by VW wrexham - they where very helpful - said the roof will be completely re-done!

Its not down to the dealer to say yes or no - they just take the pictures and forward it to VW and they decide...

Dont take no for an answer!

Mine has been accepted by VW wrexham - they where very helpful - said the roof will be completely re-done!

Its not down to the dealer to say yes or no - they just take the pictures and forward it to VW and they decide...

Dont take no for an answer!

Hi there and welcome to the forum, the list of ones that will or won't do it is more of a list of dealers that you might have a bit more co-operation from. Thanks for the info and i am glad you have had your work done, that's the name of the game!!!!! :D

As said, don't take no for an answer!!!!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just took my 'new' X reg to Beadles in Sevenoaks to the bodyshop there, and he got the camera and depth guage out straight away, and informed me he will send off the details today, and should hear within a week or so, he cant see any reason why it wont be done. One reading on the roof was about 136. He said factory paint is between 75 and 150 microns, so looks to be orginal paint. I have three bubbling spts on the gutters with one having split open with some exposed rust.

Edited by DanGB

hi, i am a new member to the forum and owning a lupo, so far it is a great little car! reading this thread i see i also fall into the rust patches in the roof gutter category and was wondering if anyone can recommend a vw garage on the wirral who is known to be sympathetic to this problem. so far the rust is the only negative thing i can say about the lupo so getting vw to fix would go a long way to making it near perfect for a little car.

any help much appreciated!

Seriously mate, any of your local dealers should do it regardless, if they complain or refuse, threaten with the call to head office and they will sort it out for you. hope this helps!!! :D

Cheers, James.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah right, well i hope they do the full panel, it looks tatty when cars have been blendid in and you can see the diffrence in colour. Sounds like i hade exactly the same effected areas as you then. When i spoke to vw when arranrging a date they said i would be having a polo so hopfully it should be a tidy car:)(fingers crossed)

Il let you know how it gets on.

thanks again

Rhys

what was the outcome buddy?