Rust on Roof

s2000king

Fantastic matey, really glad to hear it, quite a few sucess stories now, some pics would be brill mate, will add them to the first post to show people what is getting accepted or not if you know what i mean.

Many thanks, James.

yeh i tryed taking a pic of the rust but cant really see it on camera fone so il try mi propa camera, i noticed another rust spot but not the roof but on the roof rail but on other side of the car so might see if they can do that under warrenty

Think I'm going to take mine in, I have bubbling on the gutters and on the bottom of the arch where it meets the sill, the only problem is I have a gash in the paint on the front of the wing, nowhere near the bubble?

I also havnt got a full service history, I do services myself?

Good thread! I've got a nice sized "growth" occuring on my drivers side roof, right next to the black trim lining. I've just rang the VW "Lookers" garage in Lincoln and have been advised to drop it by tomorrow for the service manager to inspect it, and take photos if he thinks it's covered under warranty. I'll take pics tomorrow!

So i popped into my local VW after work and the chap was most helpful. I explained that i had some rust bubbling on the roof and the wing and he immediately grabbed his camera and post it notes and came out, without even mentioning respray or service history, he said that he had to send it off to VW for them to check and he should probably hear tomorrow morning about it.

Nice Chap

Good job lads, keep those claims coming, all of the areas you have described should be covered and the full service history has proved to be the least essential part of the requirements, good luck and keep us updated!!! :D

Cheers, james.

No luck for me i'm afraid, the Service Manager at Lookers in Lincoln seems to think the cars been re-painted at some point, and poor reconstruction has led to the corrosion. I couldnt argue as there's clearly a new wing on the side which hasnt been finished properly around some of the edges, so I think i'm a no-goer on the claim front.

I'm a newbie here, just want to say a big thanks to this thread, I'm about to buy a lupo which has some rust bubbles on the roof, apart from that its in really good nick, but its good to know I can take it to VW for a clean up on the roof!

ill do that soon, how long should I leave it bfore I contact VW do you think?

Al.

Hi all,

So I'm now the proud owner of a lovely black lupo 1.4s, full service history and some lovely little bibbly patches on the roof - I'm off to a local VW garage soon and will hopefully get it sorted. I'm in surrey,an area which I don't think has been covered by this thread so I'll let you know how i get on.

This is all great news guys kepp on going for it!!! :D

To answer a few questions: @LexG, You can apply straight away, i can't see why you would not be able to, check the car over first for any of the stuff that has been listed before that could get in the way of a claim such as re-painted panels.

It seems to me that the service history part is the least important, but still better to have it than not.

Keep it going guys and don't forget to update!!!!! :D

Cheers, James.

Took mine to VW in Surrey, they did all the photos and paint thickness things, really nice helpful people so the wait for the reply begins......

they told me the roof had not been repainted.

I think the front wings had.

what are my chances?

No luck for me i'm afraid, the Service Manager at Lookers in Lincoln seems to think the cars been re-painted at some point, and poor reconstruction has led to the corrosion. I couldnt argue as there's clearly a new wing on the side which hasnt been finished properly around some of the edges, so I think i'm a no-goer on the claim front.

ive just been and had mine checked out at Lookers in Lincoln today. had a couple of bubbly areas along the guttering (like most of us on this thread) and they seemed to think mine had been resprayed too! seemed a bit odd though, like they were reallly trying to find a reason not to do the job. as far as i can see its not been resprayed. they were searching for 'blend marks' for ages and couldnt find any, but were picking on the smallest things to suggest that it had been spayed. I'm tempted to try another VW branch.... All seems a bit strange!

@mikeactually: Personally mate i would take it too another dealer as it all sounds a bit dodgy to me, good luck with it all.

@LexG: I think you have every chance of getting it done, i can't see how the wings could affect it, but still i cannot guarntee it, if they refuse give them some jip over it!!!!! :D

Cheers, james.

• 2 weeks later...