Rust on Roof

s2000king

I have this problem too, i went to Silver Street VW garage where it was examined by their engineer who agreed that it should be covered under warrenty. He said that he would just have to send off the claim to VW UK, from whom I soon had a reply to say that they believed that it had been left too long even though i had only just noticed it and i found that i was within the 12 year warranty guidelines. Below:

* The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network as soon as it is discovered and within the warranty period.

* The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external rusting.

* A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network must be advised about any rusting as soon as it is found.

* All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer's specification and procedures, using only approved parts and materials, so the original level of anti-corrosion protection is maintained.

I had indeed only just noticed it whilst cleaning the car, slight bubbling on both sides of the car coming from the gutters, i noticed it due to a small split that had suddenly appeared along one area. which is required for vw to agree that it is rust, otherwise they say if it hasnt perforated the paint so it wasnt corroding. That same day i was in the garage reporting it.

I have set up a customer care complaint agains it and have spoken to several people who are part of VW UK who are all adament. I am now back at Silver street trying to pull out some managerial favours as the repair will cost VW around £400 which i dont want to pay. It is not right that the VW dealership confirms that it IS a warranty claim and yet their superiors undermine their judgement.

My case is still in progress, i will keep updates, if i win my case i will post my case number for anyone else who is in my position to change their minds. My next step is to get in touch with the local council and their trading standards dept. Who not being a part of VW will hopefully see my arguement and VW's uncooperability as everyone else who i tell about this does.

Despite popular mention on this topic, it makes no difference which dealership you take your car to, as they dont seem to get final say. But i will keep the topic updated and hopefully be able to provide a case number...

I had the gutter corrosion sorted on my '00 Lupo sport a few months back.

There were three patches about 4" long and 1" wide.

If the inspection pictures are taken carefully then It can be made to look less of a problem than it really is, then the claim should go through.

It helps if you speak nicely to the inspection guy.

Haha, awesome mate, at last. Mine was a Chevvy Matiz, so hope you have better luck than me!!!! :P

@BEP51- Sounds like you are going down the correct road. Some people have had the same problem and have faxed/e-mailed this thread and all its contents to VW and it tends to sway it over a bit. Worth a try if you still have trouble.

Good luck and well done!!!! :D

Cheers, James.

Got my lupo back yesterday after a rust repair under warranty.

Just to recap: I had about 4 bubbling bits along the gutters with one section where the rust has popped out.

Its a Red lupo 2001.

They rung me up last week to say they had done it but there was a reaction with the painrtwork so they had it for another week to do again.

Looks perfect now, not sure how much they painted but cant see any blends. The bodyshop man reckons they done 'most of the roof' All of it I guess?

Had a fantastic 10 plate new 1.4 Polo with DSG box and plenty of toys, loved it!

Strange that the guy above says it was left for too long as mine had clearly been left, seeing as one part had the rust actually coming out of the paint work.

Anyway, success here thanks to VW beadles in Sevenoaks. Just remains to be seen if it lasts now.

just got a lupo gti and its got the bubles on the roof,think i should have a trip down to my local vw.

do NOT tell them you just bought the car, or they will say it was the responsibility of the last owners and you stand less chance of getting it done, it is 4 to 500 quid to have done with a guaruntee.

i just had a call from vw asking me to review their customer service for my case, i wasnt kind. But im going to get in touch with trading standards in the next few days as my rust is now really getting bad quickly. (read my thread a few previous to see what they said bout my case)

does anyone know if lincoln dealers will be ok doing it ?

it makes no difference which dealership you go to, cos they dont make the decision, VW UK decides and overrules whatever the dealsership says, whether for, or against.

Can people who have successfully had the repair done supply any pics of their rust/bubbling before it was repaired as it may help my case.

Thanks

Will do mate on days off

edit.... actually I cant, the missus has deleted them. But mine looked fairly bad, one patch as about an inch squared

Edited by Defcon5

Will do mate on days off

edit.... actually I cant, the missus has deleted them. But mine looked fairly bad, one patch as about an inch squared

did yours have any cracks in the bubbling?

Hi I have got rust underneath the spoiler on my gti (around the holes for the bolts) I called up my local VW and they were giving me the impression its not covered under warrenty because its out of sight. any ideas about this?

Hi I have got rust underneath the spoiler on my gti (around the holes for the bolts) I called up my local VW and they were giving me the impression its not covered under warrenty because its out of sight. any ideas about this?

It isnt covered, not because its our of sight - thats just retarded. It isnt covered as its caused by water ingress IIRC

I stupidly didn't take any pics of mine, but trust me when I say this.....I had sh!t loads on my roof, so no reason why they shouldn't do it at all. Why would head office approve loads, but not the odd one or two.....weird!!! :S

Well done to the people who have had it completed and are pleased with the result!!!! :D

Cheers, James.

I stupidly didn't take any pics of mine, but trust me when I say this.....I had sh!t loads on my roof, so no reason why they shouldn't do it at all. Why would head office approve loads, but not the odd one or two.....weird!!! :S

Well done to the people who have had it completed and are pleased with the result!!!! :D

Cheers, James.

60993_434714598541_756508541_5215084_2265766_n.jpg

front passenger side rust, one week after noticed.

61854_434714623541_756508541_5215086_7856952_n.jpg

mid/rear passenger side rust

61438_434714658541_756508541_5215088_4238165_n.jpg

mid/rear driver's side bubbling

i hadnt noticed the passenger side any sooner, mainly as im the driver, but also as it was covered in the dust from the lanes where i live.

and the driver side bubbling was also hidden by dust and was tiny when i found it, i found it only after searching after finding the passenger side rust.

anyone had a repair on worse rusting done? in which case could i have your VW case number?

There is a noticeable increase in the rusting from the previous week when it was reported.

anyone had a repair on worse rusting done? in which case could i have your VW case number?

There is a noticeable increase in the rusting from the previous week when it was reported.

Mine was massively worse than that mate, dont have a case number, but my VRM is in my sig

Mine was a lot worse as well, i'd say about 65% of the passenger side gutter was rust, but not broken the paint. I don't have a case number either, but the number plate of the car was X595 EFJ and the dealer was Murray VW in Newton Abbot and maybe have a chat with them about it, was nearly a year ago now mind, but worth a shot!!!!! :D

Cheers, James.

Mine was a lot worse as well, i'd say about 65% of the passenger side gutter was rust, but not broken the paint. I don't have a case number either, but the number plate of the car was X595 EFJ and the dealer was Murray VW in Newton Abbot and maybe have a chat with them about it, was nearly a year ago now mind, but worth a shot!!!!! :D

Cheers, James.

Thanks for the responses, I now have two promising precedents. Anyone else have worse bubblin/rust than myself who has had a repair? pics on previous page.

Thanks

Ben

I have noticed roof rust on my GTI in the same place as an above poster, around the 2 holes where the spoiler is fitted, so it can only be seen if you remove the spoiler. I am wondering if this is actually a common rust area on Lupos but not noticed as much as the gutter rust as people don't remove their spoilers?

I think VW should honour the repair as basically its corrosion and not from any fault of the owner, its a build fault from factory. I have not asked VW about it yet or argued my view to them.