Rust on Roof

s2000king

I have noticed roof rust on my GTI in the same place as an above poster, around the 2 holes where the spoiler is fitted, so it can only be seen if you remove the spoiler. I am wondering if this is actually a common rust area on Lupos but not noticed as much as the gutter rust as people don't remove their spoilers?

I think VW should honour the repair as basically its corrosion and not from any fault of the owner, its a build fault from factory. I have not asked VW about it yet or argued my view to them.

Might be worth popping in and having a chat mate, at least to try and get a straight answer as to whether they can do it or not as it varies from dealer to dealer.

Hope this helps.

James.

mine has been approved and they say they want it in near the end of october :lol:

how bad is your rust/bubbling? could you put up some pics to compare with mine, which they are refusing.

mines bubbling just above passenger side window, what sthe crack though if car has been sprayed a diff colour?

if the car has been resprayed they will refuse, no point trying, unless it is such a good job that they would never notice even when measuring paint thicknesses, and you intend not to mention it to them.

Mine was similar to above, with a slight bit more of rust popping out.

did they repair yours? in which case, would you please tell me your full name, number plate, and when and where it was done, pics wud be useful, or a written confirmation that your rust was equal to/worse than mine. as they are being sods with me and i just want to get it sorted now, u are the third person i have so far found claiming to have worse rust who has had theirs done.

Thanks

Ben

Keep the pics coming guys and congrats to the guys who have had it done. Worth going in even if the roof has been resprayed as they didn't even check the depth of mine!!!! :D

Cheers, James.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right, as for me still no progress with VW despite fullfilling all the warranty criteria they still refuse to pay up. soo... I am sending my case to head office at VW UK, then if I get the same response again, it is going on BBC watchdog, so look out for it over the next few weeks as i doubt that vw UK will change their mind until it does go on air. The more people getting in touch with the watchdog helpline during the show, the better it will be for everyone to get this sorted out. I will update again when i know when it will be aired.

VW will use one of there approved body shops to repair it and trying to claim back any works that has been carried out before the claim is near enough a no-go, so better to hang tight and persist. When is it going to be on watchdog? Will the thread get a mention? I'm almost certain we have over 100 people that have been declined over the last year so might be worth mentioning to them, so that their researchers should look through and contact the ones that have been declined.

Have you rang my dealer to enquire yet??

Cheers, James.

VWhen is it going to be on watchdog? Will the thread get a mention? I'm almost certain we have over 100 people that have been declined over the last year so might be worth mentioning to them, so that their researchers should look through and contact the ones that have been declined.

Have you rang my dealer to enquire yet??

Cheers, James.

of course i will quote the thread to them for research, but i doubt there are 100 people who have stated that theres were declined on this thread, i had read it all through several times over the last few months, maybe 4 or 5 max. maybe the site owners could post a notification to all users on the forum front page at the top so everyone knows to tune in and put forward their cases on the thread.

Will not get in touch with Watchdog till we have got a reply letter from VW, which i expect will arrive in 2-3 days. Then, assuming they say no, i will get in touch with watchdog, maybe i will get a video interview with my car in it!

My adventure started off well but soon turned sour, the main dealer agreed with me that the rust was an internal to external problem as opposed to it being caused by stone chips etc, (all this after first approaching a polo after I had told him my LUPO had the problem) and then referred me to their bodyshop side of things.

This is where it goes downhill, I told the guy that I knew the roof had a 12 year corrosion guarantee, to which he told me that it had a standard 3 year parts guarantee... Despite the fact that it's part of the chassis and not a "replaceable part" so no luck from Kingston Milton Keynes VW.

I'll gladly put my story up as an example if need be.

Gav