What MPG do you get?

Alex_225

There are certainly little ways of getting better MPG.

For example if you avoid coasting and stay in gear as you slow down you won't be using any petrol at all.

Ah but you cant roll as far in gear, so sometimes it can be better to be in neutral. :

Edited by simpo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are certainly little ways of getting better MPG.

For example if you avoid coasting and stay in gear as you slow down you won't be using any petrol at all. Where as if its in neutral it'll be using fuel to keep it idling. Managed to show 99.9mpg on the missus Megane's trip computer by just rolling at about 35ish down a long incline.

It does sound like I should be getting 40mpg out of my Sport though so I'm going to keep an eye on that this week. :)

It depends on the type of deriving your doing. If its stop start then i think 40 is a bit optimistic. If you have a cold air intake you could positioning it so it will suck in some warmer air, cold air is only good until a point on a road car. If the air is too cold it will inhibit the fuel from vaporising as well. Just dont suck in super hot air from the exhaust manifold area as that will kill performance.

Ah but you cant roll as far in gear, so sometimes it can be better to be in neutral. :

Well you'd obviously have to gauge it as to how far you can coast. But I can't think that slowing down to a set of lights ahead and being in 5th from say 30mph is going to hold you back too much.

I personally can't seen an advantage to being in neutral until you come to a stop really. Its an easy habit to get into admittedly but not really a benefit.

It depends on the type of deriving your doing. If its stop start then i think 40 is a bit optimistic. If you have a cold air intake you could positioning it so it will suck in some warmer air, cold air is only good until a point on a road car. If the air is too cold it will inhibit the fuel from vaporising as well. Just dont suck in super hot air from the exhaust manifold area as that will kill performance.

I do tend to do a fair bit of stop start driving as tend to drive accross town to the station and park up. Only 4 miles but on the way to the station it does tend to be stop and go, on the way back its a clear run. I'll aim for 40 and be happy with the closer I get to it! :D

I dont know what the MPG is for my sport but i get around 200 miles to a full tank of petrol. I think at the end of the day the conclusion is the Sport engine is not the most economical unless driven at a constant 60mph....which could be a little difficult :D

I dont know what the MPG is for my sport but i get around 200 miles to a full tank of petrol. I think at the end of the day the conclusion is the Sport engine is not the most economical unless driven at a constant 60mph....which could be a little difficult :D

Done and dusted pal.

I averaged 60mph and acheived 50MPG in my Sport.

£20 petrol, 18.3 litres petrol, distance travelled 188 miles (London to Crewe), 50MPG.

Sport is economical if you know how to drive it economically.

On the drive to Ultimate Dubs I used 27.21 litres to do 230 miles. Which works out at...

38.2 MPG! :o

That was totally uneconomical driving, cruising between 80-100 with loads of gear changes and overtaking and the occasional blast putting my foot down. There was 1/4 tank left too.

Now I've got loads more than that from a tank before whilst steady driving at 70mph for a few hours, so mid-high 40's seem quite reasonable.

Pretty amazed to be honest.

I tested this on my sport.

25 pounds at 89.9ppl = 27.8 litres. I got 252 miles driving very sensibly, mizture of motorway and urban = 40.8mpg.

25 pounds at 86.9ppl = 28.75 litres. I got 247 miles driving like a tool, country roads and genral foot down = 38.7mpg.

Whats the pound in driving sensibly?

Just enjoy your car!!! :shades:

EDIT: Forgot to add, on the way back from buying it off simpo used less than half a tank so about 16 litres? On a little over 200 miles motorway trip. Pretty impressive, think it works out to about 55mpg?? Don't know how haha.

Edited by electricpanda

Since changing everything coil, leads, plugs, fuel filter etc etc I get between 60 to 80 miles per 1/4 of a tank round town. I used to get about 55 to a 1/4 before.

So on average about 250 to 270 miles out of a tank and not be light footed either :lol:

Edited by Mike_M

Well its been three weeks since I needed to fill up, don't usually run it lower than half a tank.

So filled it up, put in 16.85 litres in, thats after doing 108 miles which works out at 29mpg.

Now thats in a Sport but I know that its over fuelling a bit, pops and bangs when you drop down a gear, even at 2k rpm so that would probably explain it.

Considering that my Megane is a 2.0 turbo and that'll average 22-24mpg. I don't even have an especially heavy foot haha.