What MPG do you get?

Alex_225

Some of you may or may not take any notice of how much fuel your car uses but I was trying to work this out today on mine.

Now its a Lupo Sport with a Raceland manifold, stainless cat back and a BMC filter. I do on average about 50 miles per week and put in between £5-7's worth of V-Power each week.

Now I was working out that if I'm using £7 in fuel my Sport is only averaging about 27mpg, which seems pretty sh!te for such a light car with a 1.4 engine. I'm going go try and work it out a little bit better this week as I filled up on Friday and haven't driven it this weekend.

What do you get and what should I expect from mine. I don't drive with a particularly heavy foot either. :huh:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeahh it does, its meant to go up to about 60 - 65 mpg and when its costing me what 25£ a tank thats canny:)

and i dunno why it does it, but i think its cause they fiddle round with tthe fuel injection as well but your probs right about the less revs

but you should be getting more out of your 1.4 if your not heavy footed like

my mates as heavy footed as it gets and he has a 1l yaris and hes getting 36.6 and he red lines it every were

Just refilled my Sport, 266miles on 29litres, if I calculated that correctly that is 42mpg. That is driving up and down the motorway.

27 is a bit low. how many litres are you filling up with?

I dont know how much your V-power is but if we go for the simplest calculation of it being 100p a Litre and you had covered

50 miles that would be giving you a return of 32.47 mpg if you had filled up with £7

You could well be getting 27 the sport engine is shockingly bad for fuel i sometimes wonder what it was designed for. Its not good going slow

and its not exactly a good motorway cruiser and its useless in traffic. Its hard to figure out until i am on a country lane then its clear it loves to be driven on the revs all the time. I have tried many times to apply eco driving to the sport and it always fails. The slower i pull away and drive at the worse my MPG is. If i floor it everywhere getting the engine up to 3000 rpm as quick as i can i get a much better return. If i drive around at 60 its much better than at 30 needless to say its a bit of a morel dilemma kill my speed or kill the earth quicker.

After the snow my MPG went to about 25. The engine check light started coming on then going off again then on. I decided to disconnect the

cool air intake and just have the air box suck the air in from under the bonnet i thought it may be the flooded roads splashing water into the air intake as its quite low. The light has stayed off and it appear to be getting around 38 - 40mpg. without the cold air i have to drive the car slightly harder than i normally would to get the same out of it but if anything i have been enjoying it more that way. The sport engine would benefit hugely from a low boost turbo.

In the civic around 20 mpg tbh, but I don't drive the car much so when I do I make the most of it. :D

Jap fuel economy... aaaaahhhh... brings back memories of my fuel guzzling 200sx. It had a drink problem! :yes:

I get 300 out of a £30 full up if im general driving including foot down on the odd occasion.

I worked that out to be like 53?

thats after rempa, CDA and full stainless catless exhaust system...

27 is a bit low. how many litres are you filling up with?

I dont know how much your V-power is but if we go for the simplest calculation of it being 100p a Litre and you had covered

50 miles that would be giving you a return of 32.47 mpg if you had filled up with £7

I'm gonna have to check it because having thought about it a bit more, I'm not entirely sure I hadn't driven it further than 50 miles before I filled up. Will check it for definite this week and see how much it takes to fill up.

The Sport engine is a funny old lump, like you say it doesn't feel comfortable on a motorway run and round town its not that economical. Like you say its when you get it warmed up and can give it some beans that you realise thats what its about.

Stupid thing is that I used to get a constant 32-34mpg out my old Clio 172 so I'd be shocked if the Lupo did less than that haha. The Megane will see a constant 24mpg as well but you'll notice it drop to 19mpg even if you put your foot down slightly. Have known them to end up in single figures! lol

The GTI which my GF drives averages 39mpg,

Its a simple calculations,

Brim the tank,

Reset the trip,

Drive however far you want to,

Brim the tank again,

Divide how many litres by 4.54 (litres in a gallon) then divide the number miles covered by that number.

Cheers cafcross!

Edited by mat.m.

The GTI which my GF drives averages 39mpg,

Its a simple calculations,

Brim the tank,

Reset the trip,

Drive however far you want to,

Brim the tank again,

Divide how many litres by 4.54 (litres in a gallon) then divide that number by the amount of miles covered.

Don't you mean the amount of miles covered divided by that number? :P

I think i need a GTI engine then, i have never got 50 :huh:

EDIT: Drive like a girl you say? On second thought it may cost less to apply a bit of lippy and eyeliner :lol:

Edited by Unheard

na, just driving on motorway around 70/80

If you are getting 50mpg out of a GTI doing 70/80 then you have one of the most fuel efficient petrol cars around

somehow i think you must have your calculations wrong.

There are certainly little ways of getting better MPG.

For example if you avoid coasting and stay in gear as you slow down you won't be using any petrol at all. Where as if its in neutral it'll be using fuel to keep it idling. Managed to show 99.9mpg on the missus Megane's trip computer by just rolling at about 35ish down a long incline.

It does sound like I should be getting 40mpg out of my Sport though so I'm going to keep an eye on that this week. :)