Cheaper petrol at the supermarkets???

mugly

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the performance gains are just in your head most of the time. Although it could be different on different cars; my Polo GTI seems to run exactly the same on 95 and super. And on the mpg topic its just down to how you drive most of the time.

V-Power and the like are just a placebo imo. Fair enough you get more per mile but you are paying more per mile so I would expect that!! I can't say I notice any running differences between the two.

I swore by V-power when I first got the car, then I started putting Sainsbury's 95RON boggo stuff in and it ran just as well and I got better MPG out of it.

Call me a cheap skate if you want, but I don't see the point in spending more money on something thats already to expensive when the gains are nill to minimal. Especially when the money is just going to to the government who give us no returns from it anyway!

Edited by heartagram

Ive not used v-power petrol but i have had v-power diesel a few times.

The car goes no better and it seems to use the v-power faster, but on the next tank of normal shell its better than it was before! So it must give it a clean out.

I (when i remember) use a fuel additive with every tank, it seems to give a few more miles out of each tank, and keeps it running nicely.

You would not believe the number of people i saw going into morrisons for fuel, the cars were backed up right down the dual carrigeway! Obviously filling up while the price is lower!

Petrol was 112.9 and diesel 125.9.

I hope shell drop to match them!

Edited by cardaft

Just slapped my self, Looked at 112.9 and thought f*ck me thats cheap, then i thought, hang about!?!?! I remember 80p a litre, that was cheap! NOT 112.9 haha :(

If only!

I think when i passed my test four years ago it was 87.9 a litre? A £5 would get you all over! Bearly gets to the top of the drive now! :lol:

Never used v-power or anything like that. Aparently no visable gains? Why is everyone saying supermarkets petrol is worse than txaco or shell or bp? Whats the difference? There all 95 octane arent they?

In ordinary cars, unless 97Ron is specified, there is no point using performance fuels. Even in that test on the telly, gains were minimal in Scoobies and such.

Supermarket fuels come from the same refineries as branded fuels. You can't guarantee Shell fuel comes from a Shell refinery etc etc.

It's all hockum for the average man on the street and many buy into the V-power balls just like they do for other stuff because they think because it's more expensive it must be better. A 1.0 Lupo isn't going to gain from the extra £££s spent on fancy petrol.

It does make me giggle when people go on about 'crappy supermarket fuels', erm, you do realise it comes from the same refineries as Shell and the others?

The only exception to that is V-Power and I'm not sure about BP Ultimate (seem to remember someone saying they treated that later, rather than kept it entirely separate, but I could be wrong). Certainly though, V-Power only comes from select sources and is kept entirely separate from conventional fuels.

One thing to remember, V-Power goes off, and in fuel tests some batches of the stuff have been just the same as 95RON fuels, sometimes worse. EVO did a fuel test a few years back which was very interesting if you can be arsed to read it. In short, if you fill up at a station where it isn't very popular then you might be getting a bad batch, depending on how long its been sitting there.

As for running 97/Super/V-Power in the GTI (can't speak for other Lupo's) I've always noticed good MPG gains, which seem barely worth it. They closed two of our nearest Shell places so for the first time since I bought the car I've been running it on supermarket or esso stuff (our nearest two places) and although I did notice the lack of V-Power, I can't tell bugger all difference between 95RON supermarket and 97RON/SUL, except MPG differences.

I was just about to say - it all depends what engine you have, the fuel cap will tell you the grades it will run with. My 1.0 says 95/91, so 95 is preferred but it will handle 91 and run like poo. So no point me putting 97 in, but I imagine the GTi will be 97/95, so won't run as well on 95 ron fuel.

Edited by lunalupi

It does make me giggle when people go on about 'crappy supermarket fuels', erm, you do realise it comes from the same refineries as Shell and the others?

Yes, I would think it should, but it differs doesnt it?

I used to just use what ever fuel was available, usually tesco, it was also cheaper than shell. ALthough i found if i put in £10 of tecso fuel i would get more for my money but it would not last as long as £10 of shell which actually gave me less fuel for the same money.

Ive heard numerous reports about asda being the worst for fuel, tesco had that recent issue with their fuel.

Fuel is different in different pumping stations, i dont believe all petrol stations can get the same quality of fuel, for the above reasons!

thats true, but the additives that are put into the fuel are only added once the destination is known, the asda smartprice fuel will have a different additive mix than the BP fuel.

oil comes from the same refineries, but would you choose Tesco value or Castrol magnatec? I cant see how petrol is any different?

thats true, but the additives that are put into the fuel are only added once the destination is known, the asda smartprice fuel will have a different additive mix than the BP fuel.

Ah, thats what i thought would be the case, just didnt say as ive no idea how fuel is made :wacko:

Oil prices have dropped, so petrol at pumps will drop.

But the fact is that we're running out, however slowly, so it'll go back up.

dont worry yourself to much. everythin will be hunky dorie!

Lupo/Polo GTI's are meant to be run on 97 ron whilst lower models are 95

That's funny I thought they were supposed to run on 98 RON which you can only get from Shell V-Power?

Sports are mapped to run on 98 or 95 (with a slight reduction in output). With the price of V-Power at the moment its just not worth it.